walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fan Fawr

Fan Fawr

Postby john923 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Craig Cerrig-gleisiad, Fan Fawr, Fan Frynych

Date walked: 28/07/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 780m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With some half-decent weather for once we took the opportunity to have a camping weekend in Brecon. We went down on Friday morning and after pitching up did a 5 miler taking in the Marilyns of Mynnydd Llangorse and Mynnydd Troed (the easy path along the ridge of the latter was especially pleasant in the late afternoon sunshine).

The following day we did the Fan Fawr Hewitts as described here.

20120728FanFawr.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The start is a lay-by on the A470 a little north of the Storey Arms which leads into the Craig Cerrig-gleisiad nature reserve. The top of the north-facing cliffs are just visible as you set off.
IMG_4772 by davisjx2, on Flickr

Soon the view opens out. Despite the sunshine the cliffs are in dark shadow - you can see why they can still harbour rare arctic-alpine plants.
IMG_4773 by davisjx2, on Flickr

On the other side of the valley the tops of Pen Y Fan and Corn Du peek above the broad hump of Y Gryn.
IMG_4774 by davisjx2, on Flickr

Heading further north, but not gaining much height yet, we get the first view of Fan Frynych.
IMG_4775 by davisjx2, on Flickr

Eventually the path meets a broad track and we followed this all the way to the top, with the trig point just a few metres off to the left of the photo. Simple.
IMG_4776 by davisjx2, on Flickr

The path heads south towards the cliffs, here with the Beacons in the background, but then veers off to the right to the actual summit Craig Cerrig-gleisiad which is just a pile of stones.
IMG_4778 by davisjx2, on Flickr

We headed directly south from here with Fan Fawr directly ahead. After a week without rain the path was completely dry with the bare peaty patches firm and kicking up dust when crossed. Lovely going.
IMG_4779 by davisjx2, on Flickr

The final bit was fairly steeply up but nice and grassy.
IMG_4780 by davisjx2, on Flickr

Looking west from Fan Fawr's summit, with Fan Gyhirych on the left and Fan Brycheiniog in the far distance.
IMG_4781 by davisjx2, on Flickr

There is a trig point on Fan Fawr but it's half a kilometer to the SW. An easy stroll. The breeze was quite chilly for a time, which is why I look a bit over-dressed for a summer walk!
IMG_4783 by davisjx2, on Flickr

Back at the summit proper there's a good view of the chain of reservoirs which supply water to Cardiff.
IMG_4785 by davisjx2, on Flickr

We then descended to the Storey Arms which today was very busy and then headed straight up the main path to the left of the outdoor centre passing a score of folks on their way down from the main peaks. Looking back at Fan Fawr from the path up to Y Gryn.
IMG_4786 by davisjx2, on Flickr

At the top of the rise we turned off left to the deserted summit of Y Gryn. The path was faint so I expect this hill only sees Nuttall-baggers and few others.
IMG_4787 by davisjx2, on Flickr

The Beacons path is visible from some distance and looks well-maintained - just as well given the traffic it has to carry.
IMG_4789 by davisjx2, on Flickr

We dropped down steeply from Y Gyrn - this was pathless but reasonably straightforward until the last bit which involved some unpleasant bracken-bashing to locate the gate which leads out onto the Taff Trail.
IMG_4790 by davisjx2, on Flickr

We walked a short distance along the trail before cutting through fields back the the car.
IMG_4792 by davisjx2, on Flickr

Craig Cerrig-gleisiad from the Taff Trail.
IMG_4794 by davisjx2, on Flickr

A final view of Y Gryn which from here looks like a proper hill.
IMG_4795 by davisjx2, on Flickr
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Re: Fan Fawr

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Nice photos - looks like a good approach for seeing the best of these hills :)

Y Gyrn doesn't look too bad either. It is my only missing Nuttal in the Brecons, can't see me going back for it any time soon.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby garyhortop » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 am

Great report John and really lucky with the weather and some nice photo's as a result!! I know this area really well......not very used to seeing it without the clag though......nice to see what I have been missing!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby willywalker247 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:13 am

Great report John. Having done all the hills in that area many times, your route looks interesting and i will try it myself soon. I will let you know how i get on. :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 pm

Lovely report John, good to see someone grabbing the opportunity to make the most of a break in the weather :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby john923 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks all - we seem to do a lot of our walking in Spring and Autumn so this made a nice change. :D

willywalker247 wrote: your route looks interesting and i will try it myself soon.

The path going more directly along the foot of Craig Cerrig-gleisiau, and which then climbs between that and Fan Frynych, looks worthy of a look too - the nature reserve leaflet suggest taking some binoculars to spot the saxifrages on the cliff. I also wondered about descending the NNW ridge of Y Gryn on the return leg - I expect one could find a way from there to the taff trail.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland