walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rather a long time to double my tally of Grahams...

Rather a long time to double my tally of Grahams...

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Liath

Date walked: 24/07/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 25.5 km

Ascent: 1237m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros: A’Chailleach [Monadhliath], Carn Sgulain, Carn Dearg [Monadhliath]
Graham: Creag Liath
Date: 24 July 2012
Ascent: 1,237m
Distance: 25.5km

Staying in Coylumbridge for our family holiday meant not having to get up as early as usual. Short drive to Newtonmore and up the Glenballoch road - parked in the parking space close to where the Allt a’Chaorainn meets the road.

This trip follows the normal route for the three munros but with the addition of the Graham, Creag Liath – thanks to Johnny Corbett and one of his previous reports.

Newtonmore Active Log full 24jul2012.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Walked back towards the trees and then on to the track between the Allt and the trees then on to the open hillside.

More or less due north until the point I had to cross the Allt

Then NW staying on the track up to the wee bothy

Had a look inside and in the visitors’ book but didn’t sign as I didn’t have a pen. Although the door was closed and latched, it must have been left open fairly recently allowing animals to get in……..

Managed to lose the track off and on but managed to find it again. View looking back down

Not long before getting a decent view of A’Chailleach

Followed the track directly up to the summit cairn

Panorama from the top and a view towards Carn Dearg in the distance

Picked up the track, faint in places, and headed down the grassy, mossy slope to cross a small Allt

Then up to the summit of Carn Sgulain. Found two cairns so went to both just in case

View westwards

There was some boggy and marshy ground to cross but nowhere near as much as I had expected. From here it was a case of following the fence posts across the plateau. Managed to cut a few corners - not a lot to see really but a nice day for a walk.

Ptarmigan

Following the fence posts

Getting closer to Carn Dearg

Return route and Creag Liath

Up to Carn Dearg

Down towards Loch Ericht

Easy walk up to the summit cairn on Carn Dearg

From the summit, I could either head down the ridge towards Carn Macoul or walk back down towards Carn Ban before dropping down to Gleann Ballach. Having chosen the latter, I followed the Allt Ballach for a short way before continuing SE directly towards the Graham, Creag Liath.

Initially a bit steep, it didn’t take long to get to a small bealach just down from the summit

Short walk to the summit

Some views from near the cairn

Headed back down to the bealach and then steeply back down towards the main track. Frog in the grass

Crossed the Allt Fionndrigh to get to the main track with Creag na h-lolare in the background

From there it was a straightforward walk back down to Glenballoch and along the road to the car.

PS Re the title in case anyone was wondering - my one and only Graham until this trip was Ben Venue on a crisp, snowy winter’s day in early March 1986
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Rather a long time to double my tally of Grahams...

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 am

Good to see you getting good weather on your walks after your recent run in some not so fine weather. A great idea to add in that wee Graham :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Lol. Thought you had just done a graham untill i opened it. Great report. Have these to do.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Congrats on doubling your tally :clap: :clap: ... good report thinking of these for Saturday
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland