walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dun da Ghaoithe

Dun da Ghaoithe

Postby dugred » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:42 am

Route description: Dùn da Ghaoithe, near Craignure

Corbetts included on this walk: Dùn da Ghaoithe

Date walked: 21/06/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Ascent: 843m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fars my boots?
I booked a nice weekend away to Mull with Mrs Dugred. The weather when we left Aberdeen was as wet as usual and it was a nice surprise to be met with sunshine at Oban, where we spent the first night.
from oban.JPG
The next morning we waited for the ferry to Mull and the views were excellent all the way to Craignure and I saw my first glimpse of Dun da Ghaoithe, tomorrows walk.
1.JPG
Duart Castle
I left the hotel, in Craignure, at 05.30 and headed up the hill taking a route previously trod by malky_c. This proved to be a kinda wet walk as I had to head through bushes, long grass etc and, unsurprisingly, had the place to myself apart from a deer or two.
deer.JPG
Some Old Deer I met.
Pretty soon I was going uphill at a fair angle and any nice view I had disappeared thanks to early morning mist and rain. I attempted a couple of photos but you can only snap so much mist before knocking it on the head.
burn.JPG
Burn
mist.JPG
Mist opportunity!
I continued along malky_c’s route and landed back at the hotel in time for a breakfast of dry bacon, cold sausage and rubber eggs. Looking for a positive on a wet day? At least the breakfast was dry!
back towards oban.JPG
Looking back to Oban (somewhere)
Following a shower, it was off to Tobermory now that the weather had annoyingly cleared up.
tobemory.JPG

Mull is a beautiful place to visit and I would recommend it to anyone fancying a bit of hill walking.
dugred
Mountaineer

Re: Dun da Ghaoithe

Postby Jabber » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:35 am

Mull is indeed a beautiful place. I often wonder how many folk just pile over to Ben More & then head back on the ferry without see the rest of it. Nice Report :clap:
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby malky_c » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Bit of a fight to get onto the hill that way! Looks like you had the same weather as I did - unlucky. At least the rest of the trip looks nice :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I love Mull. Hear's my trip report on a better day, let you see what you missed :wink:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15118
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby dugred » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:08 am

Great to see what this walk offers on a nice day. Mull is back on the radar for winter.
dugred
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland