walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunset on Meall Glas 2012

Sunset on Meall Glas 2012

Postby JonAksel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas

Date walked: 08/08/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 866m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday is my usual Munro-bagging day. I was just taking some rubbish to the bin, I know that's maybe not a good Sunday activity but.. I was not aware of the weather. I gave up the project since the sidewalk was flooded, and I didn't reach my destination around the corner. I returned to the armchair and the buttocks were glued to the chair the rest of the day as the eyes followed the olympics.
Tuesday the weather changed and I started to think about an evening trip to a Munro. Common sence won. It's far to drive.
Wednesday the same good weather, body very rotten now. Being inspired by all the olympics I decided to let the body have some exercise and relief from the training abstinence.
The route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On your marks. Set.

I have heard so many boggy stories about this mountain. The Munro guide books are competing about criticising the mountain for being allocated where it is. I will have to fly over the bogs tonight, because i didn't bring my gore-tex.

These are the famous bogs. It wasn't that bad. It's possible to cross. There are no bottomless sumps.
View of Ben More and the rest of the Crianlarich Hills.

Sgiath Chull. I will unfortunately not have time for a double tonight. I will bag it later.

Some crags on the way up.

The first thing I saw from the summit was the famous profile of Ben Nevis, very far up North.

Whereever I turned there was a breathtaking view.
Ben Lawers somewhere there in the horizon.
Ben Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin and Beinn Each.
Ben More again.
Crianlarich Hills and Arrochar Alps.
Arrochar Alps and Tyndrum Hills.
Ben Challum. I am wondering which mountain that little peak between the two summits of Ben Challum is.
It's far west.
Sunset I.
Sunset II.
Even on short trips..
Sunset III.
The summit cairn.
Sunset IV
But the time before dark is limited now and I have to jog back to Auchessan farm. This is a Corbett called
Beinn nan Imirean. No time to go there now.
Back to the car at 2200. Just before dark.
I am sorry for the condense stripes and everything, but the LCD-window of the camera failed, and I didn't actually see what I am taking photos of. I didn't know if it would be photos at all. But the snapping part is working.
Let's hope the defect part is replacable. Otherwise I have taken more than 10000 photos with it since 2007 so it will be about a pence for each photo. Maybe my Nikon Coolpix S200 has reached end of life...

Nice training anyway.
JonAksel
Munro compleatist

Munros:115   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Sunset on Meall Glas 2012

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:02 pm

JonAksel wrote: The Munro guide books are competing about criticising the mountain for being allocated where it is.

Yes, this poor hill seems to get universally bad P.R. - it isn't really as bad as its reputation. Maybe someone should attempt to rehabilitate it with a "Wicked"-style musical or something, about Meall Glas's secret friendship with Liathach when they were both at Uni :lol: ... Gregory Maguire, watch this space.
I did it from the north with Sgiath Chuill which was actually a more interesting route I'd say and a pleasant enough day's walking - it was cloudy though and I got no views. Nice to see some pretty photos of what it actually looks like :clap: .
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Re: Sunset on Meall Glas 2012

Postby GraemeMac » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:08 pm

brilliant pics, its moments like this that I do this crazy hill walking malarkey for :D
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland