walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Good walks/hills with public transport access?

Good walks/hills with public transport access?

Postby RedMosquito » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi,

I started hillwalking last year and I've definitely got the bug now, but I don't drive and am pretty much reliant on someone with a car being willing to come with/ ferry me there and back :wink: I'm finding it a bit of a struggle to find decent hillwalks that I can reach on a bus/ train...does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be leaving from Glasgow city centre.

Thanks!
RedMosquito

Munros:66   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Good walks/hills with public transport access?

Postby Glendave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:51 pm

A good area for the bus or train is Arrochar and plenty of choice around there for walks both low and high level.Also some nice hills if you get of in Luss and cross the bridge into Glen Luss and a really good round is Ben Dubh and Mid Hill

Dave
Glendave

Postby trekker53 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:33 pm

http://steverabone.com/MunroWalker/munros_by_public_transport.htm

Maybe this website will help you plan your next adventure.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:08 pm

The link above is good :)

If you can start from Glasgow and get the early Fort William train (5.30 am) or the early Inverness train (7.06 am), you have have a large chunk of the south-west and central Highlands at your feet - Arrochar, Crianlarach, Bridge of Orchy, Cruachan, the Rannoch Moor hills, the Tilt, Drummochter hills and the Cairngorms to name some places.

Or you could try getting the train to Gourock and the ferry to Dunoon. Not sure what the bus services on the Dunoon side are like, but pretty sure there are some.

Or train to Ardrossan, and ferry to Arran. There is a busa around Arran, but also some good walking fairly near the ferry terminus.

Glasgow is pretty well connected to places you can go walking :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby PhilTurner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:48 am

There are no Munros, but Arran would be ideal if you're going from Glasgow.

I completed all the walks in the Arran section by public transport from Glasgow - simply take the Ardrossan Harbour train from Glasgow Central which links up with the Calmac ferry to Brodick. The buses on Arran meet the ferry and will drop walkers anywhere along the road (within reason).

See the Arran Transport Guide for ideas.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby jester » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:58 pm

jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby morag1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 pm

No Munros here either but the Pentlands are well served by buses - the number 44 drops you off at the ski centre.
morag1

Postby basscadet » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:26 pm

I only passed my driving test 3 months ago, so must of done my 1st 130 or so munro's without any transport.. I dont think I could of done it if I wasn't prepared to wild camp though. What I used to do is decide what hills I wanted to do, then find out how I could get there, instead of trying to find walks that are accessable by pulic transport. My method means sometimes a longer walk in, and sometimes an unusual route, but I had great fun planning and being creative about it. I do get a lot more done at worknow I dont spend the week planning :lol:
I dont know why hillwalkers are so dependant on having a predetermined 'baggers route' to follow these days - just buy a map and go the way you think looks best - Has always worked for me :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby chickadee » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am

Yeah, go to Arran! I love it and there are loads of walks there. It's so gorgeous, I really need to go back soon.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby RedMosquito » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:32 am

Brilliant, thanks for all the info everyone! Should have plenty to go on now :) happy to wild camp too so that opens up the options a bit. Much appreciated!
RedMosquito

Postby RedMosquito » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:33 am

I also have friends I have to visit on Arran so that could be on the agenda soon...two birds one stone and all that...
RedMosquito

Postby kfrweaving » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 am

Totally sympathise with not driving. I have to get a very early morning taxi to Dumfries and then bus to Glasgow, if i want to make a decent start time from Glasgow at half eight-ish. Check how long the bus routes run for, ie whether they stop in the Autumn/off season. Other times i get a bus to somewhere, but it is difficult to do a walk and return all in one day so i have to stay overnight somewhere. It means that there is more time to explore an area though.
Sometimes i go with the local Ramblers and give towards petrol. At least that way i won't be stranded anywhere :lol:
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion