walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

best day on the hills to date

best day on the hills to date

Postby tony.cee » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 03/08/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Ascent: 1082m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

its been a while since iv done one of these, feels like a while iv done anything with work etc hindering life. anyway, decided on heading up the cairngorms on what was said to be a perfect day,weather wise. i dropped the Ayatollah (girlfriend) off at work and left Aberdeen at around half 7. i arrived a linn of dee car park at around 09:30am, i began to take the bike out the car which immediately resulted in me being ambushed by the midge cloud, with a fair few sprays of ''skin so soft'' (note to self: close both eyes) i seemed to be winning the battle against them, the stuff actually works. in no time i was tearing along the track to derry lodge, a safe steady tearing btw... in around 15mins i was at derry lodge and was greeted by what looked like the warehouse stock of halfords, i have never seen so many bikes. i wasn't chancing leaving my own bike there so i decided to head a km or two up Glen derry before taking my bike to bits and padlocking it to a tree, im pretty sure it will remain there until im back, if i ever find it again. i headed just as the map from walkhighlands of this route suggests and within 80mins i was at the top of beinn breac, which was perfectly still with no breeze and no clouds, in the tranquility of my tinnitus and a few fighter jets, its was perfect. i didnt stay too long at the summit before i made my way over the marshy plains towards Beinn a'chaorainn. at 12:30 i was on top with amazing views in all directions. i then made my way down into glen derry parallel with the Hutchinson memorial hut. a gentle walk south to where i hoped to find my bike again and head back to linn of dee. throughout the day i hadnt came across a single soul, i either chose the very unpopular of the hills in the area or halfords really are stashing stock at derry lodge......iv just uploaded the pics in reverse order, deary me :( :(
really cannot fault this day at all, even got abit of a tan too. highly recommended.
Attachments
P1000307.JPG
looking south down glen derry
P1000305.JPG
glen derry looking north towards Beinn Mheadhoin
P1000304.JPG
glen derry looking south
P1000302.JPG
looking towards hutchison memorial
P1000299.JPG
summit of Beinn a'chaorainn
P1000297.JPG
looking over towards Beinn Mheidhoin
P1000293.JPG
P1000291.JPG
me at the summit of Beinn Breac
P1000287.JPG
summit cairn of beinn breac....i hope
P1000285.JPG
looking south towards Sgor Mor
P1000281.JPG
looking north towards derry cairngorm
P1000278.JPG
towards derry lodge
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Re: best day on the hills to date

Postby hills » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Lovely country, great to see, thanks for that report. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland