walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A couple of hills with "ATTITUDE"

A couple of hills with "ATTITUDE"

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:42 am

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 03/08/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1045m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have been fortunate to get out a few times during my recent leave, and with an eye on the weather was hopeful of being able to get out once more before returning to work. MWIS was "promising" a good day for Friday, so bag packed and car ready I set of about 0830 for the drive over to Crianlarich, and a wee jaunt up An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin. I had read a few TR, pored over a maps and downloaded the route to viewranger, and thought I had it straight in my head what the day held for me.Apologies for the phots this time, they won't be very informative and no phots of An Caisteal's bulbous snout.
After an really pleasant drive over to Crianlarich, I was soon parked up on the layby. A campervan and one other car parked in the layby meant a couple of other people out on the hills. I got my stuff together and was on my way across the field by 1045. Right away I hit the ankle deep bogfest, and whilst sinking in the middle of it, a pearl of wisdom popped into my head, "walk to the end of the layby,' through the large gate, circle around the track and join the path at the underpass". Mmmm where had I read that, doh!!! Never mind onward and upward.
The morning weather was sunny, no wind and very little cloud, and the short walk along the banks of the Falloch pleasant, but looking up the slopes of Sron Gharbh, I must admit I wasn't looking forward to a slog across the grassy slopes. As you approach the spine of Sron Gharbh you have a choice whether to head straight up or carry on to the fence line as it reaches the track and turn right there, I opted for the second option, but truthfully don't know if much is gained or lost by either choice.
The slog, I mean walk, up is a little tiring and it takes a little while before coming across any path of worth.
Just before the crest of the first hill, I stopped for a brief chat with a local guy doing the route in reverse, giving me a heads up on the boggy walk out I would encounter, we both admired the views as we chatted, me being particularly jealous of the fact he lived locally.
Twisten Hill.JPG
Twistin' Hill

The path towards An Caisteal).JPG
The path towards An Caisteal

Making the top of the hill opened up my first view of An Caisteal and its big bulbous top, oh dear what had I let myself in for. Some more sightseeing in the morning sun and it was soon time to march on. The path along Twistin Hill is great, making for good time, and I was soon making my way up that rocky face. Like most hills from a distance it doesn't reveal its self till your up close. But once you start the ascent its clear enough where you should be heading. The way forward is over rocks and includes stretches where you use your hands briefly, but its no Curved ridge, not that I'm likely to compare anytime soon. :lol:
I made good time to the top, and soaked up the views, and a few phots. With a quick bite to eat I was soon on my way down to the bealach. This part I really enjoyed hopping around rocks and meandering up and down, about now I noticed two guys ahead of me, as I was making my way down to the bealach, they were on their way up the path to Beinn a Chroin.
photo (3).JPG
Track up Beinn aChroin

And for the rest of the day they seemed to pop in and out of my line of sight all the way back to the layby
From a distance Beinn a'Chroin looks very imposing, especially as the path seems to peter out, but again its fairly straightforward, with only two lifts were you need to pull your self up, TR's mention a path around those bits, although I didn't see it.
Just then the weather looked like it was going to turn for the worst, but it didn't come to much. After wandering around taking in the sights and getting a few photos, it was time to look at my route down, again the WH description mentions retracing your steps back to a path leading down to the glen floor, but there is also another route which is more less straight down the spine, making for the juncture of the burns.
Descent down the ridge line from Beinn aChroin).JPG
Descent down the ridge, off Beinn a Chroin

The way home).JPG
The way home

The route down alternates between boggy parts and good solid ground, and there is evidence of the path becoming very eroded, I suppose with more and more people going "off road" to skip the boggy bits. I made good progress down and with time on my side I stopped at the burn for a wee rest and dangle my feet in the burn....bliss. The descent had been quite punishing on my knees, but change of socks and the al fresco foot spa had done the trick
The walk out along the bank of the Falloch and along Coire Earb is pretty crap, (just the terrain, folks, the scenery is lovely) lots of boggy sections just waiting to lure you in, until you pick up the landrover track about two km from the rail line.
Once back at the car and cleaned up it was a leisurely drive back, listening to all the Olympic action on 5LIVE, and a stop off in Callender for my reward. My wife is convinced my munro map must revolve around travel distance from Mhor Fish (she's very perceptive).
A couple of really nice hills, with a fair bit of "attitude" although I didnt enjoy the couple of km's at the start and finish
Last edited by MarilynMunro on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: A couple of hills with "ATTITUDE"

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:55 am

The walk out along the bank of the Falloch and along Coire Earb is pretty crap

Don't mince your words MM, just tell it like it is :lol: From your descriptions I would agree with you, though the rest of this hike looked excellent....I think summer is on the way for the UK now, just waiting for the Olympics to finish then it will be glorious :roll: Great report as always :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jonny616 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:18 am

Soon there will be nothing in Callender but Mhor :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Fudgie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am

I escaped the boggy walk out by adding on Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain and our reward was a solid path all the way from the Cruach Ardrain summit to about 1km from the landrover track. It made for a strenuous day though :lol:

As an aside, I thought the walk from An Caisteal to Beinn a'Chroin was the easiest I've ever done between two summits.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 pm

ChrisW wrote:
The walk out along the bank of the Falloch and along Coire Earb is pretty crap

Don't mince your words MM, just tell it like it is :lol: From your descriptions I would agree with you, though the rest of this hike looked excellent....I think summer is on the way for the UK now, just waiting for the Olympics to finish then it will be glorious :roll: Great report as always :thumbup:

Haha ha, I meant to say the ground on the way out was awful, the scenery was splendid :lol:
The walk is great, summer booked for a week Wednesday :lol:
Cheers Chris

jonny616 wrote:Soon there will be nothing in Callender but Mhor :lol:

Suits me Sir

Fudgie wrote:I escaped the boggy walk out by adding on Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain and our reward was a solid path all the way from the Cruach Ardrain summit to about 1km from the landrover track. It made for a strenuous day though :lol:

As an aside, I thought the walk from An Caisteal to Beinn a'Chroin was the easiest I've ever done between two summits.

Certainly entertaining
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland