walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers

Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers

Postby DougieRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 04/08/2012

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 968m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got to the Ben Lawers carpark at 09:25hrs, waited on my mate Andy and his Black Labrador, the four of us set off at 09:45hrs.

IMG_1736.JPG
Leaving the Ben Lawers carpark

The sun was fairly scorching down on us, I'd have estimated 23°C - 25°C... this was not to last.

IMG_1739.JPG
Beautiful sunshine on the path up to Beinn Ghlas.

The cruel sun continued to beat down on us as we progressed up the gentle incline towards the deer fence. The gate has the newer carabiner style chain and clip. We saw a sea-plane take off from Loch Tay...

IMG_1747.JPG
Sea-Plane takes off from Loch Tay. With apologies regarding the focus, it is a camera phone after all.

I could see the sky start to darken... a sign of thinks to come.

IMG_1749.JPG
The skies darkened, something we were grateful for given the intense heat.

Check out the black clouds looming, they stayed away from Beinn Ghlas for a relatively long period of time, longer than we could've hoped for to be honest.

IMG_1750.JPG
Bailey enjoying himself, note the cloud in the background...

Bailey must cover four or five times the distance everyone else does!

View looking towards the summit of Beinn Ghlas, the true summit cannot be seen from here.

IMG_1756.JPG
Looking toward the summit of Beinn Ghlas.

We stopped for a coffee and a sandwich on the mini-plateau before the summit of Ghlas. Met an interesting Polish guy who had spent the night on the saddle between Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers.

This is the view from the little plateau looking over Loch Tay. Optional dog...

IMG_1765.JPG
Scoob was suffering a bit in the heat but had plenty of running streams to drink from.

View looking back over the pathway from the carpark up to Ghlas.

IMG_1764.JPG
Looking back over Loch Tay.

Clouds were brewing up...

IMG_1769.JPG

I stopped to add 3 Compeed blister plasters, very useful.

IMG_1780.JPG
Three Compeed's later and we were on our way again.

Round about now Andy badly twisted his knee, an old wound that reared it's ugly head.

IMG_1782.JPG
Labradors... unsympathetic.

We summited Ghlas and headed towards Ben Lawers but Andy's knee was wrecked. Wisely Andy decided to stay at the saddle and looked after my rucksack while I pushed on towards Ben Lawers, I travelled much lighter without the bag and I made it to the summit in fifteen minutes.

Andy & Bailey seen from the south face of Ben Lawers.

IMG_1788.JPG
The red dot is Andy... with sympathetic women... it's a tough life.

A young woman stopped and gave Andy a knee support that enabled him to hobble back along the path to the carpark. I never fail to be impressed at the quality of people I meet on mountainsides, it's almost like we're an exclusive club and everyone looks out for everyone else... a great philosophy.

Me at the Ben Lawers summit.

IMG_1798.JPG
Ben Lawers Cairn.

I could clearly see the rain storm approaching from the west.

IMG_1799.JPG
The Rainstorm Cometh...

Finally the rain arrived, just as I got back down to the saddle and my Gore-Tex jacket.

IMG_1801.JPG

Looking back in the direction of Ghlas and Lawers, very heavy rain now.

IMG_1803.JPG
Heavy rain looking northward.

As we approached the Lawers carpark the sun came out and chased the rain away.

IMG_1804.JPG

Great wee walk this one and I'll come back one day to complete the entire Lawers Range, probably up the face of An Stuc.

Thanks to everyone who stopped and talked to Andy as he was very disappointed. A special thanks to the young woman who stopped and gave Andy the knee support, the walk in would've been a real trial without that. This kind of thing reaffirms my faith in human nature.
Attachments
IMG_1770.JPG
Last edited by DougieRanger on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
DougieRanger
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers

Postby BaileyandAndy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Cheers for the mention Dougie, and i'd also like to thank everyone who came and chatted to me and especially the woman who brought me a knee support that made all the difference and enabled my to manage the descent alot easier. Walkers are some of the nicest people !
BaileyandAndy
Mountaineer

Postby DougieRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:21 pm

BaileyandAndy wrote:Cheers for the mention Dougie, and i'd also like to thank everyone who came and chatted to me and especially the woman who brought me a knee support that made all the difference and enabled my to manage the descent alot easier. Walkers are some of the nicest people !

Cheers fella, where's next then?
DougieRanger
Rambler

Postby BaileyandAndy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:39 am

DougieRanger wrote:
BaileyandAndy wrote:Cheers for the mention Dougie, and i'd also like to thank everyone who came and chatted to me and especially the woman who brought me a knee support that made all the difference and enabled my to manage the descent alot easier. Walkers are some of the nicest people !

I know it's a busy one but i fancy Ben Lommond got to walk it sometime
BaileyandAndy
Mountaineer

Postby Fudgie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:41 am

BaileyandAndy wrote:
DougieRanger wrote:

I know it's a busy one but i fancy Ben Lommond got to walk it sometime

You can make a circuit out of it by going up Ptarmigan Ridge and down the tourist path.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby BaileyandAndy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:39 pm

[

You can make a circuit out of it by going up Ptarmigan Ridge and down the tourist path.[/quote]

Cheers Fudgie that looks like a better option
BaileyandAndy
Mountaineer

Postby DougieRanger » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Cheers Fudgie, sort that one for the 25th I reckon. Ta.
DougieRanger
Rambler

Postby Fudgie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:29 am

No problem. I've done Ben Lomond three times but always by the tourist path. I'm saving the other way for the winter 8)
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland