walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WHW 2011/2012

WHW 2011/2012

Postby welshy165 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 02/05/2012

Time taken: 4 days

Distance: 150 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started walking WHW on the 27/5/11for Help for Heroes. I had never done a proper long distance walk before so decided 6 days was a good target for someone walking it alone.
Day 1 Milngavie to Drymen(13 miles stayed at Burnbank B+B Croftamie)
Day 2 Drymen to Rowardennan(15 miles stayed at Burnbank B+B Croftamie)
Day 3 Rowardennan to Crianlarich(20 miles stayed at Benmore Lodge)
Day 4 Crianlarich to Bridge of Orchy(13 miles stayed at Bunkhouse at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel)
Day 5 Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven(21 miles stayed in a Cabin at the Macdonald Hotel)
Day 6 Kinlochleven to Fort William(16 miles stayed at the Alexandra Hotel)
The weather was sunshine and showers for 5 of the 6 days, the final day was rain for most of the way to fort William. Walking conditions were pretty bad with the ground wet and muddy for the whole walk. I had been going to the gym in the run up to the walk and had run 6 miles everyday for 3 weeks so I found 6 days to easy for me. I decided after the walk that I would like to try it in 4 days so this year I walked it with one of my mates who wanted to walk it for The Sick Kids Hospital in Edinburgh.
Day1 Milngavie to Rowardennan(27 miles stayed at youth hostel)

Day 2 Rowardennan to Crianlarich(20 miles stayed at Benmore Lodge....again)

Day 3 Crainlarich to Kingshouse(25 miles stayed at Kingshouse hotel)

Day 4 Kingshouse to Fort William(25 miles stayed at Alexandra hotel......again)

This year the weather was perfect, had a little bit of snow leaving the kingshouse hotel but by the time we got to the top of the Devils staircase the sun was out.....only in Scotland!!
Just about to do the Great Glen Way, the plan is 3 days.....no pain no gain!
welshy165
Mountaineer

Munros:4   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Re: WHW 2011/2012

Postby kfrweaving » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Well done! Great filming! This is really useful for those who haven't done the walk before. Thanks for
posting this :clap:
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Re: WHW 2011/2012

Postby morag1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:14 am

Good report, really interested to read how your broke down your distances to 6 days as the description on this website is for 8 days. I am planning on doing the WHW next year and reading as many reports as I can.

By the way I have walked part of the Great Glen way, it's beautiful, looking forward to your report on that :thumbup:
morag1

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes