walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Formantine & Buchan

Formantine & Buchan

Postby zhickman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Route description: Formartine & Buchan Way

Date walked: 12/08/2012

Time taken: 2 days

Distance: 66.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

If you're into flat walking, this is the one for you. A nice couple of steady days walking got this done, with one night's wild camping. I walked Fraserburgh to Dyce and didn't do the spur off to Peterhead. This gives you a very good feeling for the Aberdeenshire countryside, lots of farm land. This is mostly the type of landcsape you will see for the majority of the journey. There are plently of opportunites to explore the area from this walk and plenty of wild camping spots if you're into this.
zhickman
Hill Bagger

Re: Formantine & Buchan

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks for writing this report.
I'm thinking of doing this next year, when the weather's better.
I'm not sure if I'll start from Dyce of Fraserburgh but it would be my 1st 'long distance' walk, of this kind.
Like you did, I don't plan on doing the Peterhead branch.
One thing I'm curious about? When 'bagging' a hill, the general 'rule' is that you get to the summit cairn etc.
What I'd like to know is, can I claim I've done this if I didn't explore the Peterhead branch? I know you could say "it's up to you" but are there general thoughts on this? The same applies to other long-distance walks I've seen detailed on this site, with alternative branches. Hope someone can answer this.
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby kazuhart » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:50 pm

I want to do this next year to, I'll be starting in Dyce and finishing in Fraserburgh where I live. I won't be doing the Peterhead section, but I think it's a good walk to ease into long distance walking and break in my new shoes that I will get for Xmas. I would still class Dyce to broch as a walk without the Peterhead section.
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:18   

Postby Billbo_Baggins » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi all, i,m planning on doing this walk april time this year, like other reports i will be concentrating on Dyce - Fraserburgh, reason being the other leg to Peterhead is right on my back door, staying in Mintlaw, so a bit of variety for me going to the Broch, I was thinking on going as far as Ellon, staying overnight, im taking my son with me, his first distance walk and heading to Fraserburgh the next morning, is that the general way most folks have done this route.
Billbo_Baggins
Mountaineer

Postby kazuhart » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:34 am

I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks, the weather and work have meant that I have not done this one earlier in the year. The way I have broken it down is walking from Fraserburgh (where i live) to Maud (25km), my mum will come and pick me up from there. My friend will drop me off from Dyce the following day and I will walk to Ellon (20 km) and get the bus home and on the third day i will complete the middle section but not sure which way or how I will work the transport :lol: . My good old mum will probaly be driving about the countryside looking for me. Hope you get good weather, maybe see you at some point.
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:18   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes