walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beware the killer frog of Illgill Head

Beware the killer frog of Illgill Head

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Illgill Head, Whin Rigg

Date walked: 25/07/2012

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 770m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To say the weather was poor on Monday and Tuesday was an understatement. Near constant rain, summit gales up to 70mph and a cloud base of approximately zero meters saw no attempts on the tops.

On Tuesday night the wind dropped, the rain cleared and the cloud lifted and on Wednesday morning the sun came out so we set off on a squelch up the fells above the Wastwater screes. After negotiating a field of cows, always a nervous moment with a dog, we made our way through the sweltering breathless forestry land on a very gradual ascent up to the ridge.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Once we got to the open fell side it was obvious this wasn’t a day for dry feet as the two days of torrential rain had made things very boggy. Fortunately my temporary repair to my useless right boot just about held up.

It was fantastic to see sunshine on a Lakeland hillside after the last couple of days as the views opened up. Yewbarrow came into view looking very fine indeed and making a mockery of its comparative lack of height. We passed the impressive Greathall Gill and completed the steady pull up to our first top of the day, Whin Rigg. As we sat having lunch the cloud threatened briefly but fortunately lifted back up.

IMG_0283.jpg
Sun on a Lakeland fell side!

IMG_0289.jpg
Greathall Gill

IMG_0294.jpg
Cloud briefly threatening

IMG_0299.jpg
Hughie and Grace on Whin Rigg

We stuck to the cliff edge path for the simple walk to Illgill Head. This is highly recommended as the views from the top of the crags down the screes are awesome.
During the final pull up to the high point of the ridge a blood curdling scream rang out. Me and Nicola turned in a panic to see Grace running around in a big flap. Turned out she had disturbed a terrifying Rana temporaria or to you and me a common frog.

IMG_0301.jpg
Wasdale Hall far below

IMG_0304.jpg
View up Wastwater

IMG_0305.jpg
Looking down on Wastwater

IMG_0309.jpg
Looking towards Yewbarrow

IMG_0310.jpg
Eeek! 400 meters of air

Following calming Grace down from her encounter with the terrifying creature and a good giggle we visited the several tops of Illgill head, keeping an eye out for anymore frogs, to make sure we got the highest point.
IMG_0318.jpg
Kirk Fell and Great Gable

IMG_0320.jpg
Pillar

IMG_0323.jpg
Wasdale panorama from Illgill Head

IMG_0326.jpg
Harter Fell

In an ideal world we would have followed the path down before returning through Miterdale but given how wet parts of the outward route were we decided it was prudent to return the way we came.

IMG_0332.jpg
Tarn between the tops

IMG_0333.jpg
A soggy boggy doggy

These fells provide a fairly gentle and at times spectacular walk. It was great to have some decent weather as well. But remember if you attempt these fells yourself, beware the vicious wildlife.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Beware the killer frog of Illgill Head

Postby garyhortop » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Great report and pics again JK.......will keep my eye open for man eating frogs if ever in the area! :crazy:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Loved the report, John, and so glad you eventually had some good weather :D
Great photos, as usual, some brilliant views :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:45 am

Lovely report JK with stunning photos as usual, though I shivered when I realised I have wandered the lakes without thought for my own safety, luckily I eluded the common frog, I'm glad Gracie was saved by her reflexes :lol: Great to see you getting a little more good weather :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:16 am

garyhortop wrote:Great report and pics again JK.......will keep my eye open for man eating frogs if ever in the area! :crazy:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Loved the report, John, and so glad you eventually had some good weather :D
Great photos, as usual, some brilliant views :thumbup:

ChrisW wrote:Lovely report JK with stunning photos as usual, though I shivered when I realised I have wandered the lakes without thought for my own safety, luckily I eluded the common frog, I'm glad Gracie was saved by her reflexes :lol: Great to see you getting a little more good weather :thumbup:

Thanks folks. I'm not sure I'm ready to walk about shouting "Yo frog!" quite yet :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland