walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Chioch of Beinn Bhan

A'Chioch of Beinn Bhan

Postby gaffr » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:07 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhan

Date walked: 09/09/2006

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I don't know if you have any stuff for the Chioch of Beinn Bhan above Loch Kishorn. Anyway here are a few images of our trip to the rickety sandstone bumps on this ridge....an area best known for its winter attractions.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2 The early part of the Chioch ridge Beinn Bhan.jpg
3 an early bump.jpg
4 the second rise on the Chioch ridge.jpg
5 The last part of the Chioch ridge Beinn Bhan.jpg
Attachments
6 The chioch ridge from near the top of Beinn Bhan.jpg
Last edited by gaffr on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: A'Chioch of Beinn Bhan

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:37 am

Great pictures. No, I haven't done A'Chioch - only looked down on it and thought "no way" :lol:

Sorry, had to delete the picture of an OS map due to copyright - unfortunately our licence doesn't allow us to put on pictures of OS maps. The only way you can put an OS map in your post is to upload a track from a GPS - Walkhighlands then automatically shows this on a map. This may all change next year hopefully :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:57 pm

Like Paul we looked and thought "not a chance" :lol:

Your pictures don't change my mind any :shock:

Great hill though 8)
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Wow! I read that was a scramble! I would have thought it was more rock-climbing looking at those pics...
mountain coward

Postby timmunro86 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks for the photos, would love to hear your thoughts on the difficulty of the scrambling and level of exposure?
timmunro86
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:17

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:14 pm

timmunro86 wrote:Thanks for the photos, would love to hear your thoughts on the difficulty of the scrambling and level of exposure?

Other than an eroded squirm at the top, the scrambling is not too tricky. It doesn't feel particularly exposed either.

However, it is not a route to be taken lightly. There is much loose rock and turf and the steepest section shown in the fourth picture would be unpleasant in the wet.

Despite the above, it is a route which adds up to more than the sum of it's parts. Great situations and views with some enjoyable scrambling :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby timmunro86 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:54 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:
timmunro86 wrote:Thanks for the photos, would love to hear your thoughts on the difficulty of the scrambling and level of exposure?

Other than an eroded squirm at the top, the scrambling is not too tricky. It doesn't feel particularly exposed either.

However, it is not a route to be taken lightly. There is much loose rock and turf and the steepest section shown in the fourth picture would be unpleasant in the wet.

Despite the above, it is a route which adds up to more than the sum of it's parts. Great situations and views with some enjoyable scrambling :) .

Thanks for your input LeithySuburbs, appreciate the information. I would definitely only be attempting this in the dry from the look of the fourth picture, slippy looking grass terraces aren't nice to climb on in the wet. I may yet give this one a bash when all the stars align, good weather, time off work, opportunity etc.

Thanks
timmunro86
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland