walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Challum via Glen Lochy

Beinn Challum via Glen Lochy

Postby davetherave » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 22/11/2009

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 25 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. 22nd November 2009
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. mist with poor visibility. Snow and wind on tops
Distance. 25 km
Time. 9 hrs 20 mins

Beinn Challum

Starting from Kenknock farm Glen Lochy

beinn challum.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting from Kenknock farm we headed along the river Lochy past Badour and past an area named Batavine for a further 2.5 km. At this stage weather was ok and I was able to see the hills up this glen for the first time in 3 trips, (was not to last though).
beinn challum (1).JPG

beinn challum (4).JPG

As soon as we started the ascent down came the mist and rain, this only got progressively worse as we gained height

We headed straight up just south of Stob Bhiora in a due west direction avoiding the steep crags that were constantly north of us.

Rain was now dinging it down and was getting quite blustery the higher we got, and by the time we reached about 800m we even got some more snow to accompany what was already lying.

With constant map checking and navigation we reached the summit and the large cairn. Spent 2 mins getting a couple summit pics then decided to make our descent.
beinn challum summit (1).JPG
was there the last time i looked

beinn challum summit (2).JPG
Julie prior to the summit

beinn challum summit (3).JPG
Julie on the summit

Heading north north west off the summit for about 1km then headed north east avoiding as much of the crags as best we could, we then headed down to the Allt Challuim where we would eventually meet the 4x4 track !!

avoided craggs.JPG

looking back to summit of Beinn Challum.JPG

When we reached the Allt Lairig Mhic Bhaidein we soon realised there was no crossing at this point I decided to head up the Allt Lairig Mhic Bhaidein but my wife wanted to head down to the Allt Challium and reach the track.

I assumed higher up the waterpower and speed would be much reduced making a crossing so much easier “ how wrong I was “.

Was now well after 4 pm was quickly getting dark, and still there was no easy way across. Decided we could not keep going north west so the dog went on his lead and in we went with the wife directly behind me, Knee deep we wadded across the fast flowing water and over to the RIGHT side.

Now its nearly pitch black, not a star in the sky and its over 1km to reach the 4x4, its still pouring with rain but thankfully the wind has now gone.

Took about 40 mins to reach the track, but once on the more solid ground we managed to pick up the pace for the final 7km hike back to the car.

If im honest the biggest problem with the navigating was trying to locate the car took us about 15 mins, it was so so close, but in the very dark night and heavy rain my petzl Tekka Plus head torch never had the range of 25 metres that’s stated.

Looks like I possibly should have went with the wife’s instinct and headed down on to the Allt Challuim. (I should listen to her next time)
Attachments
coire cheathaich.JPG
from the 4x4 track on the way in.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Beinn Challum via Glen Lochy

Postby kevsbald » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Sounds like an epic, Dave. I'll bet that dog slept well that night. As did you, nae doot. :lol:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:55 pm

You sound very brave to have attempted it from that side when the viz went...
mountain coward

Postby davetherave » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:37 pm

kevsbald wrote:Sounds like an epic, Dave. I'll bet that dog slept well that night. As did you, nae doot. :lol:

hey Kevsbald,
hope you dont mean my wife :lol:
The dog needs his long walks, he only just turned 2 years old recently, and he did his fist munro last October as did i, thats him now completed 56 munros acompanied with me, so he is a pretty fit beardie.

Should he be capable of completing some of the tougher ridge walks IE.. liathach and possably the ones over in Skye, i will have to look into that.......

mountain coward wrote:You sound very brave to have attempted it from that side when the viz went...

HI MC
Affraid im far from brave, It was tough though. but keeping south of the craggs on the summit was my main priority, navigating on the descent was not to bad just slow going.

My only brave bit was brushing off the wrath of my wifes tongue when i decided to go up stream and found there was still noway of crossing without getting wet.
davetherave

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:15 am

I have exactly the same with Richard's wrath and stubbornness when it comes to either river crossings, going up things in bad visibility (he can't see the point) and extending walks by adding more mountains (usually my plan in the first place but I don't tell him until the time comes! :lol: )
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:12 pm

We climbed Ben Challum this year from the NW having looped over the Corbetts Beinn Chaorach and Cam Chreag.

Not sure I'd fancy that descent in poor vis - it was pretty steep and had a multitude of crags in the 200m above the bealach.

Interesting route and conditions though - a good read :D
kinley

Postby davetherave » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:16 pm

Kinley
Viz was better as we droped off the summit but was still pretty poor. We did avoid the MAJOR crags on the descent thankfully, and looking back from the Bealach we were very glad that we did.

Our Descent off Beinn Challum must have been much the same as your ascent from the Bealach at Cam Chreag ?

I like the sound of your route catching the 2 Corbetts on the way in. :)

Dave
davetherave

Postby kinley » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 pm

davetherave wrote:Our Descent off Beinn Challum must have been much the same as your ascent from the Bealach at Cam Chreag ?

I'm sure it was very similar :) we did have to do some steep ascending through the crags. I find it easier to do this in ascent than descent though.

It's a good route for this hill though - we found the trade route a bit uninspiring
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland