walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A View At Last

A View At Last

Postby Fudgie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean

Date walked: 12/08/2012

Time taken: 6.52 hours

Distance: 15.8 km

Ascent: 1542m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These hills have been documented many times on here and I wasn't going to put anything up but the weather and the fact I added on the Corbett Beinn Luibhean changed my mind. I didn't fancy driving too far and as I had always overlooked these two, I felt it was time I got them in the bag. I arrived at the car park at Arrochar around half nine and as I expected, it was quite busy.

I set off up the route described on here which makes you straight up and away from those pesky zig zags. As I crossed a track further up, a woman's dog ran over to me then followed me up the hill. She shouted on it to come back and a few minutes later it reappeared so I assumed she was climbing the hill as well. It wasn't until about halfway up that I realised despite me stopping at regular intervals, she was nowhere to be seen so I waited for 5 minutes until I heard her calling on the dog. It turns out she had no intention of climbing the hill and the dog had dragged her up it :lol: I waited until she was out of sight and then carried on with my walk.

Loch Long:

Back across Arrochar:

The Spearhead:

I reached the top after just over two hours and as was typical for me in the Arrochar area, it was clouded over. There were a couple of folk already there and I could see someone else coming up from the bealach between Narnain and Ime.

Beinn Narnian summit:

The Cobbler a few minutes later:

It was a bit windy but the cloud was showing signs of lifting and for the first time in 5 visits to this neck of the woods, I could see down to Loch Long and beyond. A quick sandwich later and I was off to Beinn Ime which was now starting to reveal itself as the cloud lifted. I passed a few more folk on the way down who had obviously went up past the Narnian boulders and came up the back of Beinn Narnian (seems a strange way to do it) and the weather was improving by the minute.

Beinn Ime with Beinn Luibhean on the left:

Beinn Donich and Beinn an Lochain:

From the bealach it's just under 400m to the summit which seemed daunting but I found the going easy and although the sun was out, I was kept cool by the stiff breeze. About halfway up I stopped for a look back at Beinn Narnian and The Cobbler:

Within what felt like no time at all I reached the summit where there was only one other person. The wind was gusting slightly but it was clearing up and I could now enjoy the views of the area that had been denied to me previously.

Beinn Donich, Beinn Luibhean and Beinn an Lochain:

I had mulled over adding on Beinn Luibhean and I planned to make a decision at this point. I was moving quicker than I expected and with no rush to get home I decided to go for it. I walked back from the summit for a couple of minutes and then dropped down the steep slope to the bealach betwen the two hills. It was slightly boggy at the bottom but nothing to worry about and I began my final ascent of the day. About halfway up a small path appeared which was to prove intermittent and I was soon standing on the summit enjoying a great view of the way I had came and the way I would return.

Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnian & The Cobbler:

After passing a few folk on the first two hills, it was completely different here with not a soul to be seen in the vicinity. Every time I looked over at The Cobbler there seemed to be at least 10 people on the summit so I enjoyed the solitude of this peaceful Corbett. Unfortunately I couldn't sit here all day so I put on my Ipod, found a Stone Roses album and began the walk back to the well made path runs from the bottom of The Cobbler all the way down to the car.

It was a wee bit up and down as I made way through some small gully's but the music helped me and I still felt quite fresh so I made good time back to the foot of The Cobbler. It was strange to be passing people after a couple of hours to myself and there were a few red faces making their way up as I bounded down the path at great speed, stopping only to take a picture of Ben Lomond:

I overtook more people as well as passed others coming up and it was a relief to get through the zig zags and cross the road to the car park. The whole round took me 6hrs 50 which was I quite pleased with and the wind definitely helped keep me cool as I had struggled on previous walks in the heat. It was a relief to get a view from the top and it was a good days walking all round.
Attachments

Arrochar 3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Fudgie on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: A View At Last

Postby monty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Nice report Fudgie. Its a bit more overcast than I thought it would be on the Sunday but it seemed to clear as the day went on. Good effort adding one of the Corbetts. :D
monty

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Aye, good effort there.. Such a lovely place those alps.. :D

What picture hosting site do you use? It must be banned at work here, so I cant see all your lovely pics :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Fudgie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Cheers Monty. There was very little effort involved in it as I found the conditions to be ideal. I think we both feel the same about the heat :wink:

EDIT: BC, I've changed them over to Imageshack as that seems to work better.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby michaelmcp » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Well done Fudgie, I've thought about doing Narnain and Ime together at some point but never thought to add the corbett, an extra wee touch just to make sure you are knacked by the time you get back to the car.
michaelmcp
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:2

Postby Fudgie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:09 pm

michaelmcp wrote:Well done Fudgie, I've thought about doing Narnain and Ime together at some point but never thought to add the corbett, an extra wee touch just to make sure you are knacked by the time you get back to the car.

Cheers Mick. It wasn't that tough to add it on although the descent off Ime is very steep. Decent conditions underfoot helped a lot and the toughest part of the day was those bloody zig zags at the end.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby michaelmcp » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Fudgie wrote:
michaelmcp wrote:Well done Fudgie, I've thought about doing Narnain and Ime together at some point but never thought to add the corbett, an extra wee touch just to make sure you are knacked by the time you get back to the car.

Cheers Mick. It wasn't that tough to add it on although the descent off Ime is very steep. Decent conditions underfoot helped a lot and the toughest part of the day was those bloody zig zags at the end.

Those zigzags do seem to go on forever !!!
michaelmcp
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:2

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Fudgie wrote:Cheers Monty. There was very little effort involved in it as I found the conditions to be ideal. I think we both feel the same about the heat :wink:

Yaay! You are too good to me :thumbup:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Fudgie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:36 pm

basscadet wrote:
Fudgie wrote:Cheers Monty. There was very little effort involved in it as I found the conditions to be ideal. I think we both feel the same about the heat :wink:

Yaay! You are too good to me :thumbup:

No problem :thumbup:

Not my best work though as the light was poor.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland