walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Steep Streap

Steep Streap

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Route description: Streap, near Glenfinnan

Corbetts included on this walk: Streap

Date walked: 11/08/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 909m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove to Arisaig on the Friday night and joined Johnny and Kim camping at Kinloid Farm. Great wee campsite which costs £6 a night and has loos and showers. What a beautiful part of the country and after 2 wines decided Streap was the walk for the following day :D

Parked in the car parking area off the A830 where we met Monty who was tackling the 2 munros from Glenfinnan and taking the mickey asked us what a Corbett was. You will be getting to know these wee – er hills soon once you compleat Mr Lamont :wink:

Left the carpark and headed along the private track under the glenfinnan viaduct on our bikes. Great track all the way to Corryhully bothy, where we left our bikes.

Crossed the River Finnan and headed straight up the steep slopes of Streap. We kept west of the stream and headed for the top of the slopes.

We skirted under the initial ridge to gain the col between Beinn an Tuim and Stob Coire nan Cearc. Quite a slog in the warm weather where a few refreshment stops were required.

Continued north until the beautiful ridge of Streap came into view. Stopped for lunch just before the ridge narrowed and decided to leave our bags here to pick them up on our return.

We headed along the ridge, where a very easy scramble ( if you call it a scramble ) was encountered on 2 occasions, but seriously nothing to worry about.

Reached the summit and admired the fabulous views all around. Quick summit pic and headed back to pick up our bags.

Headed south west from the edge of the ridge and down the steep slopes to pick up the track back to Corryhully. The track splits on 2 occasions where we kept to the higher tracks although both paths seem to lead to the bothy.

Back on the bikes and back to the cars
5 hours 45 mins
corbett streap 11th august2012 001.jpg
on the track to corryhully

corbett streap 11th august2012 002.jpg
corryhully bothy

corbett streap 11th august2012 004.jpg
johnny the slow worm

corbett streap 11th august2012 005.jpg
glennfinnan lodge

corbett streap 11th august2012 006.jpg
view to corryhully

corbett streap 11th august2012 008.jpg
heading to streap

corbett streap 11th august2012 009.jpg
hoping for a handsome prince

corbett streap 11th august2012 010.jpg

corbett streap 11th august2012 011.jpg
the ridge

corbett streap 11th august2012 012.jpg
summit pic

corbett streap 11th august2012 013.jpg

corbett streap 11th august2012 017.jpg

corbett streap 11th august2012 021.jpg

corbett streap 11th august2012 022.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Steep Streap

Postby monty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Nice report Theresa. Excellent set of photos. Good to meet up with you corbetteers :D Your starting to get a good count of Corbetts now. I am sure i will eventually catch you up :lol:
monty

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:58 pm

monty wrote:Nice report Theresa. Excellent set of photos. Good to meet up with you corbetteers :D Your starting to get a good count of Corbetts now. I am sure i will eventually catch you up :lol:

cheers monty.. you have no chance on catching me .. you tried that with the munros and i flew passed you :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:58 am

Saturday was certainly a good day to be out - had thought about going up this way but switched to Kintail - looks great in your photos. Some varied wildlife as well including your slow worm picture - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mgmt! » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 pm

nice wee report there mt, giving a good account of the walk, so i take it the massive python you encountered was actually a teenie weenie slow worm ? would like to see the size of your wine glasses :roll:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:14 pm

A great day MT. As for that "Python" that you both saw, how did i miss something so big? :shock:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Nice one MT,and some bonny pics to boot.

PS...............still sorry I missed your last munro party,maybe come to your last corbett.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Nice one :) . Still not done Streap - looking forward to it quite a lot though.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alan S » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Nice one MT good to see your corbett count coming along :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:25 pm

rockhopper wrote:Saturday was certainly a good day to be out - had thought about going up this way but switched to Kintail - looks great in your photos. Some varied wildlife as well including your slow worm picture - cheers :)

it was great day indeed.... thanks for the advice/ info on the big snake... thought id seen a snake at last ! :D

mgmt! wrote:nice wee report there mt, giving a good account of the walk, so i take it the massive python you encountered was actually a teenie weenie slow worm ? would like to see the size of your wine glasses :roll:

never got a pic of the python it was that fast and vicious :)

Johnny Corbett wrote:A great day MT. As for that "Python" that you both saw, how did i miss something so big? :shock:

because your always away at the back :D

gammy leg walker wrote:Nice one MT,and some bonny pics to boot.

PS...............still sorry I missed your last munro party,maybe come to your last corbett.

no worries gammy.. maybe next year haha :D

malky_c wrote:Nice one :) . Still not done Streap - looking forward to it quite a lot though.

cheers malky.. its a lovely wee one.. but steep

Alan S wrote:Nice one MT good to see your corbett count coming along :D

cheers Alan... getting addicted :D
mountain thyme
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland