walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crinkle Crags & Pike of Blisco

Crinkle Crags & Pike of Blisco

Postby poppiesrara » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Pike o'Blisco

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Crinkle Crags South Top, Pike of Blisco, Shelter Crags

Date walked: 11/08/2012

Time taken: 3.75

Distance: 12.75 km

Ascent: 1100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally a sunny day this summer, and a terrific short circuit of the rocky peaks of the Southern Fells.

crinkles.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From Great Langdale, the path up and over Pike of Blisco is beautifully made – rock steps embedded into the fellside and making quite short work of what must previously have been a steep and breathless climb over damp terrain. Spectacular views of the Langdale Pikes all the way and a great walk to the satisfyingly rocky summit.
Crinkle Crags 001.jpg
Pike of Blisco over Kettle Crag

Crinkle Crags 005.jpg
Redacre Gill approach onto Wrynose Fell

Crinkle Crags 006.jpg
Langdale Pikes

Cold Pike afterwards might be a thin smear of meat paste between the pain Poilâne of the other two peaks, but it’s quite good to leave the broad paths for a short while and head pathlessly up the grassy slopes to a hill that would be quite enough to be the day’s highlight in many parts of the country. Pretty hazy conditions today, but still outlines of the Coniston Fells to the south to see and an increasingly tempting view of the jagged top of Crinkle Crags to tempt you on.
Crinkle Crags 020.jpg
Cold Pike

Crinkle Crags 021.jpg
Crinkle Crags over Great Knott

Crinkle Crags 025.jpg
Back to Pike of Blisco

Crinkle Crags 029.jpg
From Cold Pike, the highway to Crinkle Crags

As the many walkers up there could attest, the mile traversing the seven-plus tops of Crinkle Crags and its neighbours is a constantly fascinating rocky walk – plenty of obstacles and half-scrambles, but most just the right side of awkward (to my slight shame, I had a good look at the ‘Bad Step’ and still just couldn’t see the moves needed, but the detour path west is a really good route). The unobstructed view of the Scafells from here is amazing too, giving England’s somewhat-maligned highest a real grandeur.
Crinkle Crags 036.jpg
Looking down into Great Cove

Crinkle Crags 037.jpg
South over Eskdale to the coast

Crinkle Crags 040.jpg
The main peak

Crinkle Crags 042.jpg
The 'Bad Step'

Crinkle Crags 044.jpg
Great End, Esk Pike, Bowfell

Crinkle Crags 047.jpg
First two Crinkles, from Gunson Knott

Crinkle Crags 050.jpg
The Scafells

Crinkle Crags 052.jpg
Over Cold Pike to the Coniston Fells

Crinkle Crags 056.jpg
Langdale Pikes over The Band

Crinkle Crags 058.jpg
Bowfell across Three Tarns

The descent via The Band (time precluding an assault first on the scree path up Bowfell) - an obvious, almost-paved walkers’ highway, of the sort that the knees and fading concentration rather welcome at the end of a walk – is a relaxing one, with good open views to the fells around and verdant Great Langdale before. No great originality in recommending this circuit, I’m sure, but I’ll do it anyway! Simply a wonderful little walk.
Crinkle Crags 062.jpg
Pike of Blisco

Crinkle Crags 063.jpg
Crinkle Crags & Shelter Crags

Crinkle Crags 065.jpg
Browney Gill

Crinkle Crags 068.jpg
Side Pike & Lingmoor Fell

Crinkle Crags 069.jpg
Great Langdale

Crinkle Crags 072.jpg
Up Mickleden to Rossett Pike

Crinkle Crags 073.jpg
The Crinkles above Oxendale
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Crinkle Crags & Pike of Blisco

Postby garyhortop » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 am

Looked like a really good day out and I am going to have to remember this one and give it a go when I am next up in the Lakes - some brilliant pictures as well - really like the shot of Bowfell! Great report! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby AJNicholls » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Looks like you had a good trip. Good photos - thanks!

When I did Pike O'Blisco back in January, the steps you mentioned were very dangerous. Cold Pike was fine, but it was a bit too late in the day to head up for Crinkle Crags in dense snow.

When I got back home I heard a walker had to be air-lifted after making a mistake on the Bad Step on Crinkle Crags that week. Not gone up-close to it yet, but will see if I can suss it out when I do.

Cheers,

AJ
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Great report P, looks like you had almost perfect hiking weather too (as long as it wasn't too hot) Some great photos along the way which must have been beautiful to see in real life. Great hike :thumbup: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Nice route :) . I'd quite fancy doing Crinkle Crags again, and I still haven't done Pike o' Blisco. Looks like you managed to get off the hills before the haze went from average to extra thick.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland