walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wonderful Wainwright wander

A wonderful Wainwright wander

Postby SMRussell » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Allen Crags, Bowfell, Esk Pike, Great End, Lingmell, Scafell, Scafell Pike, Seathwaite Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Allen Crags, Bowfell, Esk Pike, Great End, Lingmell, Scafell, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 18/06/2012

Distance: 25.8 km

Ascent: 2249m

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just a quick picture report of a trip back in June to the Lake District. We were heading to a wedding down south and the thought of bagging a Wainwright or 8 on the way back up north was too tempting to resist. We camped in the campsite at The Wasdale Head Inn and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Inn hads a great selection of well kept ales and good honest grub. The campsite was grand although the site is a wee walk away from the shower and toilets and there is only 1 shower so might be a bit inconvenient if the site were busy, thankfully for us we were the only people setting up camp initially and only 4 other tents arrived over the course of the time we were there.

The walk itself was thoroughly enjoyable and the weather was too hot if anything. The hills were hoaching, like Sauchiehall Street on a sunny Saturday afternoon! But every single person we stopped to chat to was really friendly and there was a general feeling of good cheer... but I'll admit I prefer the relative solitude of the Scottish hills. Anyway, here are some lovely pictures of a wonderful Wainwright wander.

Note: the map I've added is a not as accurate as it could be outline of our Wainwright bagging session

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
Campsite at the The Wasdale Head Inn

2.jpg
View from the Wasdale Head Inn

3.jpg
Great ale at the Wasdale Head Inn

4.jpg
Start of the hike

5.jpg
Sunshine that just kept coming

6.jpg
Taking in the view before heading up the Lord's Rake

7.jpg
Lord's Rake

8.jpg
View on ScaFell

9.jpg
View to Scafell Pike from ScaFell

10 Scafell Pike.jpg
Scafell Pike summit

11.jpg
Scafell Pike summit

12.jpg
View to Lingmell from the Pike

12-1.jpg
Views

14.jpg
Lingmell

15 heading back from Great End summit.jpg
Heading back from Great End Summit

16 Esk Pike summit.jpg
Esk Pike Summit

17 Esk Pike summit view.jpg
View from Esk Pike

18 Bowfell summit.jpg
Bowfell Summit

19 Views.jpg
Views

20 Allen Crags summit.jpg
Allen Crags summit

21 heading to Seathwaite Fell.jpg
Heading to Seathwaite Fell

22 heading to Seathwaite Fell.jpg
still heading to Seathwaite Fell

23 Seathwaite Fell Summit 8th of the day.jpg
Seathwaite Fell summit, 8th summit of the day

24 Glorious end to a glorious day.jpg
The late afternoon sun beating down as we headed back to the Inn
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: A wonderful Wainwright wander

Postby Ibex » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Thats one hell of a walk. I bet your knees ached when you got back.

Great photo's as well. The picture of that dark ale brings back some great memories.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SMRussell » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Ibex wrote:Thats one hell of a walk. I bet your knees ached when you got back.
Great photo's as well. The picture of that dark ale brings back some great memories.

It certainly was a fair old walk although we originally thought we'd aim for 12!! But by the time we got to Bowfell the plan was re-jigged. My knees and feet were feeling pretty battered by the end - but it was such a hot day - I think the heat made us feel a little more tired than usual. We slept well that night :D

The other half and I are big ale fans. The dark ale was my tipple and it was one of the nicest I've ever had... but alas, I can't recall the name :(
SMRussell

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 pm

wow - stunning photos SMR over a big old wander with far too much ascent on it :lol: I'd think twice about doing that in my 4WD :shock: In reality, a great hike on a fantastic day in absolutely beautiful scenery, what more could you ask :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Ibex » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:25 pm

I do like my real ales as well. Im particularly fond of darker beers too.
It looks like yours was in a Jennings glass, but thats no surprise up there. Could it have been Theakstons old peculiar?
That particular beer has blown my head off a few times, after big walks, whilst waiting for food to arrive. :lol:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Bloody hell :shock: . Looks like I'm not the only one who's gone a bit bag-crazy in the Lakes recently :lol: . I thought normally in a new area you started with the obvious ones then went back for the daft summits at a later date!

Lovely clear photos though. Despite being a bit on the busy side, I think I like the western fells in the Lake District best :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 pm

I thought the advice was not to go up Lord's Rake as it was dangerous due to the rockfall. Is it now safe again or did you just get lucky?

Impressive walk - it covers two of my own efforts plus a few extra summits!

I thought it might be Old Peculier too, though you're unlikely to forget that name.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby garyhortop » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Bit of an epic this SM....I thought it was just Malky who seemed to be able to wander for hours.....and hours....!!!

Some fantastic photo's as well - I did the scafell's a couple of eyars back with my Stepson - brought back some great memories although you seemd to avoid the rain and the clag for the whole journey!! Great trip!

:clap: :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby SMRussell » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 pm

ChrisW wrote:wow - stunning photos SMR over a big old wander with far too much ascent on it :lol: I'd think twice about doing that in my 4WD :shock: In reality, a great hike on a fantastic day in absolutely beautiful scenery, what more could you ask :D

Cheers. The photos are a mix of mine and RTMcBs. I think the glorious weather gave us a helping hand.
Far too much ascent? Pah! :wink:

Ibex wrote:I do like my real ales as well. Im particularly fond of darker beers too.
It looks like yours was in a Jennings glass, but thats no surprise up there. Could it have been Theakstons old peculiar?
That particular beer has blown my head off a few times, after big walks, whilst waiting for food to arrive. :lol:

Phil the Hill wrote:I thought it might be Old Peculier too, though you're unlikely to forget that name.

Thanks for the suggestions but it definitely wasn't a pint of OP - it was darker and richer. One of the walkers we were quite chummy with had it too but thought it was too much of a heavy 'winter' ale, which I scoffed hat. Bloody light ale drinkers :lol:

malky_c wrote:Bloody hell :shock: . Looks like I'm not the only one who's gone a bit bag-crazy in the Lakes recently :lol: . I thought normally in a new area you started with the obvious ones then went back for the daft summits at a later date!

Lovely clear photos though. Despite being a bit on the busy side, I think I like the western fells in the Lake District best :)

Well we weren't sure when we'd get back down there so thought we'd make the most of it. It was truly stunning and I've love to go back but I think I'd prefer a winter hike next time... But then I'd also love to head to Snowdonia... so much choice on one little island before you even consider Northern Island and the Republics gorgeous little hills!

Phil the Hill wrote:I thought the advice was not to go up Lord's Rake as it was dangerous due to the rockfall. Is it now safe again or did you just get lucky?

Impressive walk - it covers two of my own efforts plus a few extra summits!

Thanks Phil :D We heard mixed responses when we mentioned we were thinking of heading up the Lord's Rake so thought we'd give it a peek and make our decision up on the hill side. My other half (RTMcB) hasn't got the best head for heights and scrambles but he managed it fine. I could imagine if we didn't have much hill walking experience then it would have been silly to attempt but in actual fact I found it straight forward and fun. The rocks are loose but not all that bad...

garyhortop wrote:Bit of an epic this SM....I thought it was just Malky who seemed to be able to wander for hours.....and hours....!!!

Some fantastic photo's as well - I did the scafell's a couple of eyars back with my Stepson - brought back some great memories although you seemd to avoid the rain and the clag for the whole journey!! Great trip!

:clap: :D

Why Ta Gary, I love long hikes :D This one was RTMcBs great plan which ended up being scaled back from 12 summits to 8 as the day wore on as we realised 12 might be a tad unrealistic especially with the heat of the day - plus the we had to ensure we made it back before the Inn stopped serving food!

Hope your stepson enjoyed the Lakes :D
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Lush :D

Has RTMcB lost his mah hair???

Always enjoy the lakes...have to get up real early though.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SMRussell » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:10 pm

ALE UPDATE

I sent the Wasdale Head Inn a PM on Facebook my inability to recall the name of the ale annoyed me. They got back in touch :D with the following...

"The dark ale that you're referring to is 'Yewbarrow'. It's brewed by the Great Gable Brewing Company and is also available in bottles from some outlets, I believe they have started selling the ale to Waitrose too. They have a website and you may be able to contact them for mail order too.

It's a pretty permanent beer on our bar, as it's certainly a favourite of our customers too!!"

So there you go. Yewbarrow! Now, I wonder whether Scottish Waitrose stock it :think:
SMRussell

Postby Ibex » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:16 am

The mystery of the beer has been solved then.

I will look that one up the next time i'm in the Lakes.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby SMRussell » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:55 am

Ibex wrote:The mystery of the beer has been solved then.

I will look that one up the next time i'm in the Lakes.

I sincerely hope it's as yum-tastic as I remember!
SMRussell

Postby simon-b » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Sorry I'm late replying to this one, SM. I've been preoccupied with my own cross-border trip the other way recently.You certainly picked a good round for your first Wainwrights, and a visit to a beautiful tarn, Sprinkling Tarn, too. You got some nice pictures of Great Gable and Blencathra as well as the hills you climbed.

It's also possible to find some quieter roues in Lakeland.

You were probably safer going into Lord's Rake this year than you would have been a few years ago. There's a chockstone in there that will fall at some point, though.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby charliebloke1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Great report and I think i'll be stealing this one next year!

I've been neglecting the lakes of late, because of the over-crowding issue I guess, and instead just driving on up to the highlands but this has whetted my appetite to get back out there and save a bit of petrol money.

....even as a confirmed pale ale drinker :shock: this looks a cracking walk!
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland