walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monadhliath 3

Monadhliath 3

Postby quoman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 18/08/2012

Time taken: 8.44 hours

Distance: 27.8 km

Ascent: 838m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ave not been out on the hills as much as i would like due to my daughter getting a house so that was me stripping wall, sanding door, painting and decorating on my days off, before my shift and after my shifts :crazy: so the house is all done now yeeha.

So its time to get back in the hills i have only managed to get 4 trips away since the begining of june so back to the report :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was the usual two me and Alec(rottiewalker) and bear the dug.Left the house at 5.30 nice wee drive up the A9 to Newtonmore.Got to the carparking area at 7.45 we were on the move for 8am nice easy path to follow which soon gets boggy and boggier we mist the footbridge so crossed the river when the wee bothy came into view,after crossing the river we headed to the bothy when Alec noticed his jacket had fallen out of his rucksack i carried onto the bothy and Alec went back to the river for a look after about 25 minutes or so he arrived at the bothy with the jacket. We sat for 10 mins had a look at the bothy book then away we went.

The cloud was rolling in and out as we made our way up to A'Chailleach i could see a path straight up it so we just headed that way instead of the WH route.
DSC02965.JPG
river crossing
DSC02968.JPG
Bear in the bothy
DSC02970.JPG
the way up
We got to the summit had a bit to eat
DSC02977.JPG
A'Chailleach summit
We could see the second munro from here Carn Sgulain started of down the track then decided to head straight for it what a mucky glen and up the other side picking our way through the tussocky grass and bog that took 20 mins to get through :crazy: at the foot of carn sgulain we drop our packs 8 mins later we were on the summit
DSC02979.JPG
summit Carn Sgulain
photo taken then back to the packs and follow the fence posts all the way to the 3rd munro, the walk along the plateau is long but enjoyable
DSC02980.JPG
looking back to A'Chailleach
DSC02982.JPG
plateau
DSC02985.JPG
Carn Dearg on full view
we had a 5minute stop on Carn Ban then onto Carn Dearg summit[attachment=0]100_1432.JPG[/attachment

The time from the start to the 3rd munro was 5hr.From the summit we carried on along the ridge to the bealach and droped down into Gleann Balloch crossed the Allt Balloch and picked up the track which is a hit and miss to find we were starting to get a bit weary, Man thats a long walk back to the car so thats it a good day and good weather to boot.
Attachments
100_1432.JPG
Carn Dearg summit
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Monadhliath 3

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Always love reading TRs on this round,it was my 1st multiple bag,also good to see what I missed,also good to see you back out quoman(was wondering).

PS....................Aye its a fair hike from the 2nd to the 3rd & the walk back out.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Always love reading TRs on this round,it was my 1st multiple bag,also good to see what I missed,also good to see you back out quoman(was wondering).

PS....................Aye its a fair hike from the 2nd to the 3rd & the walk back out.

Cheers Gammy
ave hardly had time to look at the walk reports and reply to them,but thats the lassie all settled in now thank F#'=# :lol: I can get back on the hills.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 pm

I enjoyed your report a lot.. Amazing how different things are in Summer. :)
I think one of these was my 100th.. did em in wintry conditions and had a rather memorable eventful weekend - They'll always be special to me :thumbup:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby quoman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:01 am

basscadet wrote:I enjoyed your report a lot.. Amazing how different things are in Summer. :)
I think one of these was my 100th.. did em in wintry conditions and had a rather memorable eventful weekend - They'll always be special to me :thumbup:

Cheers basscadet

I remember reading your report,it sure was an eventfull trip.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 am

from your pic, it looks like the bothy no longer has a door?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby quoman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:03 pm

basscadet wrote:from your pic, it looks like the bothy no longer has a door?

Hi bc the door is still on it
Untitled.jpg
bothy with door
not the best of pic's was taken just before we crossed the river.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby RockChick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Great report quoman!

I tried to do this route on Friday - the day before you, and also missed the bridge and could not cross the river as it was brown and in spate, so will have to come back another year. :(

Where exactly is this bridge? Despite looking for it, I could not se it on the ramble back to the car. Unless it was submerged by the spatey river? :crazy:
RockChick
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:36
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:20

Postby basscadet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:56 pm

I found the bridge easy enough, I didnt even know that there was a bridge but there was a pretty big baggers cairn there which drew my attention to a wee path down to it.. :)
I captured its location with my GPS seeing as I used it..

Monadhliath.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby quoman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 pm

RockChick wrote:Great report quoman!

I tried to do this route on Friday - the day before you, and also missed the bridge and could not cross the river as it was brown and in spate, so will have to come back another year. :(

Where exactly is this bridge? Despite looking for it, I could not se it on the ramble back to the car. Unless it was submerged by the spatey river? :crazy:

Ive had alook on the GPS route planner and its there but i never found it the river was still runnung brown (peatty) colour but i still drunk loads of it :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Great stuff Quoman, good to see you back out there. Looks like you decided to make the most of it once you'd escaped the decorating :lol: You timed it well by the looks of the weather too :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby RockChick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:31 pm

[quote="basscadet"]I found the bridge easy enough, I didnt even know that there was a bridge but there was a pretty big baggers cairn there which drew my attention to a wee path down to it.. :)
I captured its location with my GPS seeing as I used it..

Thanks basscadet.

Hmmm.... I think I was looking for the bridge way too far upstream - sort of in line with the bothy/hut thingy, and I think I should have started looking out for the big cairn (which I also missed) and bridge BEFORE the track ended and turned into a midgy swamp. All I did see though was something that looked like the brick end of what used to be a bridge.

This threesome is rapidly starting to look like it might end up left till I've run out of more interesting (easier) munros (along with Beinn Heasgarnich and its 3km of peat hags, which has about about as much appeal as these do now).
RockChick
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:36
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:20

Postby morag1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Great walk Quoman and nice to see you back, missed your cheery banter :D

Well done to you on doing up your daughter's house, lucky girl, hope she bought her dad a pint for his hard work
morag1

Postby quoman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:29 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Quoman, good to see you back out there. Looks like you decided to make the most of it once you'd escaped the decorating :lol: You timed it well by the looks of the weather too :wink:

Thanks Chris
Between the decorating and the bad weather i couldn't get out but hopfully make the most of it now.

morag1 wrote:Great walk Quoman and nice to see you back, missed your cheery banter :D

Well done to you on doing up your daughter's house, lucky girl, hope she bought her dad a pint for his hard work

Thanks morag,
Yes there was a case of beer plus a box of chocolates waiting for me and the wife when we came back from our holidays.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Good long tramp that but at least you got fine weather for it! :D

Good on you for helping your girl. :angel:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland