walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Postby Fudgie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 20/08/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11.1 km

Ascent: 1137m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The working week had been spent trying to decide where to go and once my friend Derek was on board, I looked at shorter walks as he had suffered an injury while jogging. These two hills looked like the best option so after a delayed start (he was rough :lol: ) we made the journey up my favourite road, the A82 :roll: Low cloud covered Ben Lomond but we knew it would clear further up and as we reached Bridge of Orchy, blue sky greeted us and I knew I had chose wisely.

The car park was surprisingly quiet although with weather as good as this, we figured most people in the area would be heading for the Buachaille so we wouldn't have to deal with too much of a crowd. The temptation of the ski lift was ignored and we made our way slowly up the path as neither of us were in a hurry and we were stopping frequently to enjoy the views across Rannoch Moor behind us.

As we reached a flat bit someone who had came up on the ski lift joined us although he qualified it by saying he had walked up the previous week and was only back this time to add on Creise. As we discussed the best way up on to the summit, he told us that our intended route was quite boggy so we followed him on a slightly longer path which was bone dry. This also afforded us a good view of Stob Dearg and I couldn't resist the urge to take a picture of it along with our route up to the top of Meall a' Bhuiridh.

It was very warm and muggy by this point and we were taking our time to get to the summit. I took a wee bit longer than I had estimated but we were met by a cool breeze and some excellent views.

The route to the summit of Criese looked fairly easy and so it proved. I always enjoy a scramble and there was a very short one before the wide ridge that leads to the summit. That view that you are greeted with as you reach the 1070m mark is phenomenal and the three of us stood and took it in before ambling up to the 1100m summit. It was universally decided that we should make the two minute walk to the next cairn and enjoy the views from there.

All that was left now was the journey back tot he car and we decided to traverse the side of Meall a'Bhuiridh instead of going over the summit. Aside from me landing hip first into a pointy rock :oops: the descent was straightforward and before we knew it we were back at the car although for the last wee bit the midgies gave us a send off.

I was surprised that it had only taken us 6 hours considering we were moving quite slowly bu it was still an enjoyable day. As we had left the summit of Criese I was sizing up the Corbett Beinn Mhic Chasgiag and had I been alone I would have went for it but I'll come back to that another day. We said cheerio to the man from Cornwall who had been great company and then braved that frustrating road home.
Last edited by Fudgie on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:53 pm

A great way to spend a lazy afternoon but was disappointed you by-passed the ski lift :o :lol:
Some fantastic views and enjoyed your report :D Always seems to be raining when we're up that way :(
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Cheers Susie. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I took the ski lift :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby quoman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Excellent stuff there fudgie
the views up there are superb especially the Buachaille's
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby basscadet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Looked like a fine trip, always good to escape the crowds :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Fudgie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks guys. A group of four was as big as it got so we didn't have to push folk out the way at the summits :lol:

Now I need to decide where to go next :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby madasa mongoose » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:17 pm

love these photos! :D
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby Fudgie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:35 pm

madasa mongoose wrote:love these photos! :D

Thanks a lot :thumbup: Took one of my filters along and it helped massively.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Tom Weir's Bunnet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Good report. Pics came out well too. Surprised the walk did not clear the cobwebs. Was still feeling rough this morning :(
Tom Weir's Bunnet
Mountain Walker

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Smashing pics again Fudgie 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Nice to see these hills in summer sun :D Some great pictures there :D My two trips have been in winter, so all white. Like you though I avoided the chair lift :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Fudgie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks guys, it's amazing the difference a wee bit of darkened glass in front of the lens can make. The weather helped a bit too :wink:

TWB, I never had you down as a lightweight :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby SMRussell » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:37 am

Great snaps!

Almost did these back in June but stupidly low cloud put the kibosh on that. Nice to see what we missed. But walking with a hangover :crazy: ... blugh!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Fudgie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:45 am

SMRussell wrote:Great snaps!

Almost did these back in June but stupidly low cloud put the kibosh on that. Nice to see what we missed. But walking with a hangover :crazy: ... blugh!

Thanks a lot :thumbup: These are definitely a pair to save for a clear day as you get a cracking view of Glencoe.

I've done it once after a few beers and it wasn't fun (Meall Ghaordaidh in driving snow/blazing sunshine) so I felt TWB's pain :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby surf1066 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi Fudgie
That was a pleasure to walk the hills last sunday with you both, hope we can walk another at sometime in the future.Before i left for Cornwall i walked to within 100 mtrs of the summit of Beinn Trilleachan and there was a slightly disgruntled stalking party a bit ahead of me so......i decided to back off and leave them to it, another attempt is in order.
have fun
surf1066
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland