walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mopping up the last of the Lawers

Mopping up the last of the Lawers

Postby basscadet » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 19/08/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16.58 km

Ascent: 996m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lawers2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So with 5 of the Lawers 7 bagged on Saturday, the logical thing was to finish them off on Sunday :thumbup:

We awoke in the van at 8.30 - it had suddenly got really hot.. the sun was out and it looked like a scorcher. unfortunately the midges thought it was a nice day to, and there were clouds of them outside the van. :? But a move to a less sheltered spot, saw enough of a breeze to get some tea and porridge on the go :D
The car park got busy, which made us think we should maybe set off which we did at about 10.30.

The first part of the walk was sweltering, and I very nearly jumped in the burn that looked so tempting, but Dad wasn't stopping, so I was forced to run after him. :)
It is an easy walk up the burn to the bealach. We sat and chatted to a couple in the bealach for a little too long before the steep ascent up onto Meall Corranaich.

After a wee explore of the summit, we carried on along the ridge. The hill has an interesting rocky shoulder that we explored before we made our way back to the path. A walking group had turned up and were pretty noisy. We tried our best to keep our distance, without much success :lol:

It is a short dull, easy walk to Meall a Choire Leith. A pretty boring hill thats a very long way from my top 10..

We retraced our steps for a good way, stopping for food along the way. The weather changed from scorching to chilly, as a huge dark cloud passed over. Nothing could dampen our spirits though, My dad was well chuffed with 7 munros in a weekend 'haven't done that for 25 years' he said :thumbup:

We had seen bypass paths on the steep slopes of meal Corranaich from Lawers the day before, so we went to find one. We found it, but it was pretty rubbish as far as paths go. The walking group went low, so we kept high, which was great fun as it turned out. I was soon shimmying round rocky outcrops and clambering over boulders. Too soon the fun bit was over and we were back at the bealach for an uneventful and speedy descent back to the car. A short day, even with all the lazing obout in the sunshine :D

We had a cup of tea and said our goodbyes in the carpark. We hadn't driven 5 miles when the rain started, and was on all the way home, which made me feel smug that I had definately got the best of the weekend weather yet another awesome day with my favourite Dad :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Mopping up the last of the Lawers

Postby quoman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:16 am

Liked that report bc especially the last line out with my favourite dad,

i could'nt see a thing when we did them.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 am

I couldn't see a thing either on Meall Corranaich but by the time I dropped down to Meall a' Choire Leith I was below the clouds so I sat there for a while. I never saw a soul all day (well, the 3hrs 20 it took me to get round) and I enjoyed the solitude so the thought of meeting a large group would be torture :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby basscadet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:16 am

Aye, Dad wasnie impressed with the crowds.. said it spoiled his day :(

Extremely mediocre hills tbh, but good views from Ben Lomond, to Mount Keen, to Glen Affric to Ben Nevis and ahing inbetween.. So worth doing for that.. and the munro count of course :D

We could see the Buachaille looking impressive, and we both would of rather been there I think.. :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Fudgie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:43 am

basscadet wrote:We could see the Buachaille looking impressive, and we both would of rather been there I think.. :lol:

I was climbing next to it yesterday and it did look very impressive :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby basscadet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:47 am

My dad reckons he has been up there more than 60 times, on every conceivable route up the rock.. And still he is mad for it and wants to go back constantly :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Another weekend profitably spent BC! Well done. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby morag1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Well done to you and your dad BC, really bagging the Munros now, think you'll be compleating in the next year at this rate :thumbup:
morag1

Postby mrssanta » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Great pair of reports BC, good to be out there with your favourite Dad, nothing like it!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland