walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great weekend in Glencoe part Deux

Great weekend in Glencoe part Deux

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 12/08/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8.9 km

Ascent: 1001m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

part one here
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24424

So after a lovely steak & ale pie and a couple of pints in the Clachaig Inn, we got ourselves set up in The Red Squirrel campsite. Couldn`t believe how big and busy it was. We found ourselves a spot and set up camp for the night. We sat around the campfire reminiscing about our great day on Creise, and doubted how it could be bettered the next day on Beauchaille Etive Beag. We woke up to dark clouds hanging over the hills and made ourselves rolls and sausages over the barbie, she didn`t bother too much about that, some hot grease dripped into her navel, that was about the worst of it. The wind kept the midges away, I blamed the aforementioned steak pie and beer from last night. During the night , I had an awful nightmare that i had slept the whole day and missed a great day on the hills and that when i returned home all sorts of chaos was happening, the spice girls were performing at the closing ceremony of the olympics and everything. I blame that on the slabs of hashish half the campers were using for firewood.
So we drove off about half ten to the car park at the large cairn by the side of the road at the bottom of the Wee Beauchaille.
4894512-p1160910-1art.jpg
Jim no cairn

We visited the cairn, and Jim climbed it, i was waiting for it to collapse in front of a thousand japanese tourists flashing their nikons at us. It stayed up and we crossed the road ready for the hike. The car park was quite busy and a few other walkers set off around about the same time as us. Although still a bit cloudy, it was roastin and i soon had to stop and take off my jumper.
DSCF2101.JPG
Aonoch Eagach

With such easy access and a great stepped path, this must be the most climbed hill in Glencoe. We reached the bealach in no time, taking it one step at a time in a steady rythm up the hill. It was already starting to clear and any hills we could see from here were already cloud free. We decided to go for the furthest away Munro, Stob Dubh and headed up the right path. This was a bit screey (sic) but we got to the first cairn at 902m and had a break. We could well see for miles from here and got a great view of Sgurr Eilde Mor, my new favourite mountain(that i haven`t done).
DSCF2111.JPG
Sgurr Eilde Mor

It was up here that we met deux French people. We had sat next to them in the Clachaig the night before, but this had escaped Jim as he began talking to them.He didn`t recognise them, she had a jacket on this time.... I don`t know whose broken English was worse, theirs or Jim`s. :lol: After a wee chat about their background, they were from St. Etienne and visiting the highlands for a couple of weeks, Jim asked them their names, OMG, "Guymone" he said "Eh" said Jim "Guymone" again "Eh" again, the girl giggled, one more time "Guymone, eet eez a leetle deeficult to say" "JIM" he replied in a matter of fact, how can you no be so simple kinda way, and thrust out his hand to shake the frenchman`s. I nearly buckled. In amongst this we were joined by a walker and his dog , called Brian fae Fife, and we all kinda shook hands and exchanged names, i forget the girl`s name, pardonnez moi mademoiselle. Brian was most concerned about a tent pitched down at the beallach and asked if it was ours. After we said we new nothing about it he set off to check it out and we followed our french friends along the ridge to Stob Dubh. The views from here on such a fine day were fantastic and about to get better when up at the 925m summit, no they weren`t avoir des relations sexuelles au sommet d'une montagne. :shifty: On our way up we met an older(than us) couple on their way down(slowly) who were used to more flat walks along the cornish coast. After a friendly chat we were back on our way to the top, when the woman shouted back at us, randomly, "Are you from Fife?" "Eh, naw" was our reply and we climbed up nearer the summit.
DSCF2110.JPG
Stob Dubh

With Jim a bit ahead of me, i could see him approaching the summit cairn, where two women were standing with their little mutt, i mean dog :roll: . It ran at Jim and snapped and barked and ran around him in circles, while one of the women just said " Take no notice of him, ignore him and he`ll leave you alone" "Aye right" Jim thought, "Comes near me again, and i`ll boot him aff the hill !" "He doesn`t like men" she said "Beans" he said, thinking about what was missing from breakfast . I must say i was most offended when the dog totally ignored me ! :-?
DSCF2114.JPG
jim at Stob Dubh summit 925m

DSCF2118.JPG
looking to Loch Etive

DSCF2112a.jpg
AE.....again

DSCF2119.JPG
over Beinn Fhada to Bidean nam Bian

Although this is a fairly straight forward hill, no scrammbles, waterfalls, or death defying ridges, it does offer spectacular views all around on a day like this. Glen/loch Etive, Bidean nam Bian, AE, Ben Nevis, Beauchaille Etive mor, and Stob Ghabhar all clearly visible from here. Again we sat for a while before being joined again by our French friends. They had been sitting further along , having a picnic looking out to Loch Etive, they really had seen Scotland in all it`s beauty. But, alas it was getting too cold for them :wtf: Me & Jim were applying the factor 30 when they came along all wrapped up in trousers and jackets! They said that although it was in the low 20`S , for them anything lower than 30 was winter and as they were originally from Algeria, usually in the 40`s , it was how you say, a leetle beet cold. Jim again had them in deep conversation as i sat and checked the map to see what was around us and offered them the obligatory wine gum. Jim showed them the deer grazing in the glen below through his binoculars and they were very happy to see them. We bid them au revoir and hung about for a while laughing at the different reactions to the climate. After a bit more sun soaking and looking out in awe at our surroundings we eventually set off for Stob Coire Raineach.
DSCF2103.JPG
Stob Coire Raineach

DSCF2104.JPG
Big Beauchaille

We slid and skidded down to the bealach among the scree. We soon saw that the green tent had gone. We came to the conclusion that Brian fae Fife,having already checked the tent was empty, and after finding out that it wasn`t ours he quickly bolted down to it, wrapped it up and was off with it ! :shock: Fifers, who can trust them eh ?
From here it`s a steep walk up to the second munro, and again there`s quite a lot of scree on the path, and it was a relief to get to the top.
p1160976art-1.jpg
Bolt ya rocket

DSCF2141.JPG
Jim

Maybe it wasn`t a better day, but a great day all the same.

more pics and route
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1720873
FIN
Last edited by tomyboy73 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Great weekend in Glencoe part Deux

Postby tina bonar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:51 pm

bravo tommy,enjoyed the report.we were up creise yesterday and are already planning a return trip to visit the neighbours,or neebors,as they say in fife;-)
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:13 pm

:lol: Excellent Tomy :D
I love the wee bookil,One i will definetly return to :D
Interesting report :lol: well done
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:35 pm

I've a soft spot for this hill. One of my favourites :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby jogilv16 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:36 am

tommy once again a great report,superb stuff.fantastic weekend...
jogilv16

Munros:203   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:39

Postby Fudgie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:39 am

I saw nothing on these two and it sounds like you enjoyed them a fair bit :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby mrssanta » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:15 pm

good to see something resembling summer at last :crazy:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby jonny616 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Excellent stuff. One of my top 5 walks. the views are fantastic in every direction. Glad you got them.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm

I couldn't believe how easy it was to get up to these with the stone staircase!

You've got some great shots there of a stunning day! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:03 pm

thanks for the comments everyone, it really is an easy mountain to get up,bag two munros and have great views if you get the right weather.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Del246 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Good stuff Tommy. I havent been on for a while so just saw this. I still have these to do, are they suitable for a solo outing ??
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:32 am

Zut alors! Quel domage! La plume de ma tante!

What report Tommy! I had forgotten how much fun and frolics can be had on a walk out with you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loved this :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:56 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Zut alors! Quel domage! La plume de ma tante!

What report Tommy! I had forgotten how much fun and frolics can be had on a walk out with you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loved this :clap: :clap:

babelfish translation

Zut then! What injury! The pen of my aunt! ?? lol , aye i might look quiet but there`s always mischief bubbling away underneath :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Del246 wrote:Good stuff Tommy. I havent been on for a while so just saw this. I still have these to do, are they suitable for a solo outing ??

Hi Del, easy for a solo outing, the drive there and back would be the hardest bit. :D
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland