walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A’Ghlas Bheinn

A’Ghlas Bheinn

Postby PeteR » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Route description: A' Ghlas Bheinn and the Falls of Glomach

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn

Date walked: 05/08/2012

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just a short report and a few photos from a walk on A’Ghlas Bheinn recently.

The day hadn’t looked too promising, as I’d driven up through pretty overcast conditions. Luckily things had improved by the time I parked up opposite the Caravan Club site at Morvich.
DSCF1427.JPG
At the start of the of the walk

My last visit here had been in colder, winter conditions so I’d not had to worry about those pesky midges then. I did on this trip though, as they were out in force for the first part of the walk in.

Got to say that this walk is worth the effort, just to walk into Gleann Choinneachain and onto the Bealach an Sgairne alone :D :D :D Bagging a Munro was more of a bonus than necessarily the main event of the day.
DSCF1430.JPG
The path on the walk in

DSCF1431.JPG
View to Beinn Fhada

DSCF1432.JPG
A'Ghlas Bheinn

DSCF1438.JPG
View back toward Loch Duich (just!!)

DSCF1444.JPG
View into Gleann Choinneachain #1

DSCF1445.JPG
Gleann Choinneachain #2

DSCF1449.JPG
The hill track into the Gleann

DSCF1460.JPG
View back from higher up in the Gleann

DSCF1463.JPG
Up to the Bealach an Sgairne

DSCF1472.JPG
Bealach an Sgairne #1

DSCF1474.JPG
Bealach an Sgairne #2

After the previous weekend’s nice long walk in the clouds on the Middle Three Fannaichs I was hoping the weather Gods might have been shining on me. Alas, that was not to be :( As I arrived at the Bealach an Sgairne and headed onto the path up A’Ghlass Bheinn’s ridge the low cloud chose that moment to roll in :(
DSCF1483.JPG
Misty A'Ghlas Bheinn

DSCF1484.JPG
Loch a'Bhealaich from the start of the climb up A'Ghlas Bheinn

DSCF1488.JPG
The rest of the Loch a'Bhealaich

DSCF1490.JPG
A'Ghlas Bheinn path #1

DSCF1495.JPG
A'Ghlas Bheinn path in the mist

Thankfully I managed to dodge the rain that seemed to be wreaking havoc in other parts of Scotland, but a summit full of clag prevented me from enjoying any views from the summit :(

I’d heard that A’Ghlas Bheinn was “blessed” with a number of false summits. Initially, in the mist, things didn’t seem too bad to me. My view was soon to change though, as we went over or round false summit after false summit. Not quite sure if walking this hill was a blessing or a curse. As I couldn’t see a thing I had no sense of how much further there was to go or how many false summits there might be to go. But then, not being able to see anything can be frustrating when you hope you are near the top and the path just keeps on going.........up or around shadowing lumps that emerge from the clag.

Eventually though all false summits must end and the real summit reached :roll: As has been my luck recently the views have been.......well..........er........ stonking :lol: :lol: :lol: Another day or no summit views.
DSCF1512.JPG
I spy with my little eye something beginning with.....summit

DSCF1513.JPG
Summit cairn

DSCF1516.JPG
Summit view!

Stopped for a quick bite to eat and to consider my next move. I had planned extending the day by paying a visit to the Falls of Glomach. Standing, looking into the mist the idea lost its appeal quite quickly, so I shelved the idea and instead retraced my route up for the return trip down.
DSCF1528.JPG
A'Ghlas Bheinn lochan on the route down

DSCF1542.jpg
Loch a'Bhealaich emerging out of the clag

DSCF1568.jpg
View down Gleann Choinneachain

DSCF1572.jpg
Allt a Choire Chaoil

DSCF1577.jpg
Into Gleann Lichd

Despite the clag I still enjoyed the walk and some of the views lower down out of the cloud :D :D :D :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: A’Ghlas Bheinn

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13 pm

A familiar site, i was up the Glen myself recently and the walk to the Bealach is a fine walk itself. Lovely area :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Enjoyed that as it brought back memories of when we did it. We got the views from the top but yours from lower down are excellent and you got a good one of the lochan on the ridge. :thumbup: :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Clach Liath » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 pm

This is a fine hill with good views (shame you did not have them this time). Unfortunately it is overshadowed somewhat by more favoured neighbours. I agree that the walk is well worth the effort.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 am

That had all the makings of a perfect day Pete.....until the clag failed to clear, false summit after false summit can be a bit of a pain in the butt too :lol: still, any day in the hills mate eh :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby quoman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 am

Hardline's about the clag at the top and as you siad aleast the false summits didn't get you down
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks for the comments on this walk. A good little hill, despite the weather. One I think I'll return to when the snow is lying on it :)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland