walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Place Fell

Place Fell

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Place Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Place Fell

Date walked: 12/08/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was another hazy day, my legs hurt, and I had to be back in Patterdale by 2 to get the bus - so I only had one hill planned, and I didn't want to go there anyway.

This was really pure bagging, and I was vaguely ashamed of myself - I would have had no desire to climb Place Fell if it wasn't listed in a book, because it just looks big and steep and unpleasant. But I actually enjoyed the walk, and wished I'd had more time for the hill, so maybe that's the point - that lists, and waymarked trails, take you to places that you wouldn't have gone to otherwise...

At first I was retracing my steps from the day before, back up to Boredale Hause, with the same views of Patterdale and Hartsop and Brotherswater from above.

DSCF6238.JPG
Brotherswater and the hills beyond

DSCF6239.JPG
Patterdale from above

From the sheepfold I headed up in the opposite direction from the day before, past the very small ruin

DSCF6240.JPG
The sheepfold in Boredale Hause

DSCF6242.JPG
Ruin in Boredale Hause

I was worried about the time, so I was pushing on properly for once - to there by this time, and the next place by that time. Seems to prove that I can go uphill reasonably quickly, I just never do. A scrambly sort of bit over Round How brought me out on top, but still a long way from the actual summit. At least it was more or less flat from there.

DSCF6243.JPG
Place Fell

The views were extensive but indistinct!

DSCF6246.JPG
Layers of hills from Place Fell

DSCF6247.JPG
More layers

DSCF6250.JPG
Place Fell summit

DSCF6253.JPG
Glenridding from above

I was still pushing on, determined to get down to the lakeside path and back round that way, rather than simply retracing my steps...

DSCF6255.JPG
Sheepfold on Low Moss

DSCF6258.JPG
Slate spring

... a bit too fast, because I slipped going downhill and sat down in a boggy bit!

I can't say that I really took time to appreciate the lakeside path properly - but it was still beautiful, and it's quite satisfying in a way just to set out for somewhere and do it. I'm more often a delayed ditherer. All the same, I'll have to come back and do the path slowly at some point.

DSCF6259.JPG
Waterfalls

DSCF6261.JPG
Sail...

DSCF6262.JPG
... and steam

DSCF6264.JPG
A photogenic rowan tree

DSCF6266.JPG
Ullswater

And then it was back to Penrith and the train home.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: Place Fell

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Not the most enthusiastic of beginnings :lol: but (except for the wet butt) well worth the effort in the end :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Place Fell

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:21 am

Place fell is an excellent hill in my opinion. Fantastic views and a proper rocky top, worth a few hours of anybody's time.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland