walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cac Carn Beag

Cac Carn Beag

Postby Rodds1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 17/11/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is back dated a bit as we completed the walk on the 18th of October but what the hell.

On a bitterly cold Saturday morning we departed from the Glen Muick car park around 10am and headed off on our way along the land-rover path, past the estate lodges and through the woods before walking the bumpy footpath towards Meikle Pap. The pathway looked as though it had recently been upgraded but due to heavy rainfall parts were falling away and it was quite bumpy in places. This was my 3rd Munro in as many weeks and I found it much more challenging than the previous two(Dreish and Mayer). Upon reaching the foot of Meikle Pap we stopped for a break before climbing "the ladder", this was quite a struggle in places as the wind was inreasing in force and decreasing in temperature as we climbed.

Upon reaching the top of the ladder we walked along the edge of the corrie, along Cac Carn Mor (1150m) before reaching the summit, Cac Carn Beag (1155m). Sat at the trig point for lunch and photos (to be posted soon) it was not long before the hoards caught up and before we knew it there were a dozen foreign students (complete with jeans and trainers) swarming around.

We set off down towards Loch Muick, taking the donkey path east. This was a fairly easy path to walk, although rocky in places. We walked for around an hour and a half and stopped by the waterfall for pictures before setting off back down the path towards the loch. Upon joining with the path that surrounds the loch we were left with a long walk back to the car park which was a bit of a dampner after such a great day out.

Next time I do this I will be making plans for an alternative route back to the car park and away from the tourists.
Rodds1

Munros:6   

Re: Cac Carn Beag

Postby doogz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:57 pm

why didnt you carry on to the next munro Carn a Choire Bhoidheach then down the path to below Carn an t-Sagairt mor up to the summit- back to path......then either follow route path down toward the Dubh Loch or ...just carry on and do the other two munros Cairn Bannoch and Broad Cairn ....EASY :) :) .... :shock: :shock: :shock: 5 munos..32 kilometres..seems a long way :( :( :( but my god youre 25 and im 45 :shock: :? :shock: :( :( wish i woz 25 ....im ranting again....in the bag and you will prob never see the same person twice.......we are really fit(in my humble opinion) and completed the walk the other way withBroad Cairn first and lochnagar last in 6 hours 30 mins inc lunch ...water and pee stops :? :shock: :o :D :D :D :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

once your up there its madness to go back unless its really foul weather ...like what happened the first time i went earlier in july ..VIZ was about 10 ft the whole way to lochnagar myself midweek..met a couple o guys on the summit... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :? map in hand was just visible too ...ha ha :D :D pic below was from 6ft and already im disappearing into the mist
cheerz
wait for a good clear spell and set off from carpark around the 8am time that gives you 8 solid good light hours and really once you get on to track its no navigation from wee hut on track all the way back to your car 8) 8)
doogz
Last edited by doogz on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doogz

Postby Rodds1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:01 pm

I would have done that but I was with my old man who was struggling for fitness - It would certianly be on my to do list next time I head up (which could be sooner rather than later).
Rodds1

Postby Alan S » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:45 pm

sounds like a good hike a bit out of my range the now but hopefully no for long il stick to the busy tourist routes until a get more experience
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Rodds1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:28 am

Some of the pictures from my last trip up Lochnagar

Rodds1

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:18 am

Some good ones there - the one looking down the Black Spout gully is the best. It looks like it was cloudy on every other hill all around and clear for you on Lochnagar :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Rodds1 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:00 pm

I have about 50 pics from when I was up there but thats just a selection of my fav ones. I'm going back this Sat so I will post more soon, hopefully the forecast is right as I imagine snow upi there will only add to the appeal.
Rodds1

Postby doogz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:32 pm

weather forecast ..heavy snow for saturday...be careful...take all yer new gear and some extra in your bag...just in case!!!

have a gr8 day

we are off to laggan on fri ...mibbye out east on sunday and somewhere ..????? on tuesday ...so should get past the halfway marker and make it over the 120 munros in 2008 8) 8) 8)

Doogz 8) 8)
doogz

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland