walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring of Steall

Ring of Steall

Postby Fcfraser » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 14/08/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was going to be my first "Wild Camp".... We found the ideal little spot along the river, which had been used many times before, going by the signs of the burnt grass (tut tut!) :crazy: ....a short sharp shower of warm rain, just after the last peg was pushed into the ground caused mayhem........the midges from hell rose up from the ground, we inhaled them, choked on them, what is it about ears and eyelids that they like so much? Suffice to say, tent was unceremoniously ripped from the ground and we wore it back to the car!! booked into a lovely wee B&B! :lol:
P1040108.JPG
Wild Camp

So! up and refreshed with a lovely breakfast, off we went to Steall... I have to say, I was rather worried about the famous Steall "tightrope" bridge!! it turned out to be a childs playground, too many tourists for my liking! all playing on the bridge......I mean, playing? having fun? when there are serious hills out there to climb? already feeling nervous, I wasn't about to make a complete fool of myself, so I decided to cross the water, it was reasonably low, and no problem to cross, only my silly hesitation on one stone below the water caused one foot to become soaked, small price to pay, compared with falling from the bridge!!
P1040118.JPG
Steall Falls

P1040116.JPG
Tight Rope

P1040119.JPG
Dragon Fly.....Look Hard!

P1040128.JPG

First hill of the day was An Gearnanach, a straightforward ascent, making good time and clear path to follow to the summit, views were stunning, weather perfect. Onwards we went to Stob Coire a Chairn, and still well pathed and easy to follow, from here, we were unsure as to whether to include An Bodach, the path clearly misses the summit of this Munro, and we were a little concerned about time, having left much later than intended in the morning (bit too comfy in the B&B!)
P1040120.JPG

P1040124.JPG
The Route Ahead

P1040141.JPG
The Ridge!

P1040143.JPG
The "Tricky Bit"!

P1040147.JPG

Executive decision was made, we stuck to the lower path and missed An Bodach. Onwards towards the "Devils Ridge" I was a little concerned about it beforehand, but no need, it was a dawdle (after some of the scarey stuff I have done lately!!) Views were magnificent, absolutely stunning, could see for miles and miles..... Wow! reminds me as to why I climb hills! So we got over Sgurr an Lubhar and Sgurr a Mhaim. By now, my feet were rubbing, one in particular (the one that got soaked earlier!!) But we were on the homeward straight now, and got down to be met by an abundance of Midges.........
Fort William Swimming Pool....Thanks for the Shower!!
Wild Camping? ......nae chance! :lol:
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: Ring of Steall

Postby rocket-ron » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:30 pm

wow your fairly getting through the munros
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby jwramsay » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Love the wild camp!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby Fcfraser » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 pm

jwramsay wrote:Love the wild camp!

..... Any port in a storm! :lol:
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Your idea of wild camping is exactly like my mrs :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Fcfraser » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Your idea of wild camping is exactly like my mrs :lol:

Ah but I made up for it on Braeriach last W/e... & loved the experience!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby skuk007 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Nice report and some great photos. Real shame you missed out on the views from Am Bodach, nice plan though as you'll have to back to this great range.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:12 am

If wild camping would only be that cosy and soft :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby trekker53 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:05 pm

A great set of hills and some nice pics. Always blessed when the weather is on your side. Pity about your lovely camp spot. Those midgies can be hell.
A few years ago when doing the Rob Roy Trail we camped for the first night in a forest. Couldn't get to sleep because of the midge intruders. Tossed and turned but no sleep. Suddenly my brother said he had enough and got up. The 3 of us decided to pack up and continue our walk. We arrived at our next accommodation ( Callander hostel ) at breakfast time. She said we were a bit early but took pity on us when we told the story. We had some breakfast, and after a wash and brush up we hired some bikes and enjoyed a cycle to Loch Katrine. We managed to overcome any tiredness and had a wonderful day.
Later at Kenmore when we should have camped we checked into the hotel and enjoyed it's comforts with quite a few beers. Sometimes you just have to adapt to the conditions.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland