walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A donder up Ben Vorlich on a hot day off from work

A donder up Ben Vorlich on a hot day off from work

Postby Graham207 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 10/08/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 985m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first report on this site so apols if its mince :)

A cracking day for a climb, having an unexpected day off i decided to batter up to ben vorlich, parking was tricky as there was an entire battalion of people fishing on the loch but i found a bit of spare real estate to plonk my Clio :) the route up started thru the grounds of the very picturesque Ardvorlich house which looked to me like the set of a poirot film in all its glory. continuing up the track i saw not a soul, the day was getting hotter by the minute and with nowt but a few determined midgy's i continued up the track to the new dam/ waterworks effort, here a stopped for 5mins to dip the plates of meat in the burn as it the day was going from gas mark 4 quickly into 5. :shock:

The well made path leaves the track end and gently meanders up to the begining of the hoof up to the shoulder of the mountain, walking along i was left standing by a man on a mission battering up at the speed of a thousand gazelles, exchanged an on the move " great day for it " and continued on my way only pausing to take the odd piccy, the climb up to the shoulder i found fairly steep ( years of decadent living ) but straight forward and the views only got better back towards lochearn, stopping for 10mins to munch a jaffacake and rest the by now welldone tootsies I surveyed the route ahead which was impressive in the morning sun and i could just see the trigpoint and a random iron bar poking out so i continued up the steep but zigzaging path to the top. at the summit i encountered the guy that passed me and we both got a summit shot taken ( i thing he was waiting for someone to take one of him ) before he bolted off in the direction of the next munro. After milling about on the top and wandering over to see the east summit I start my decent back to Loch Earn as with all the good will in the world to continue on to the next one i had unfortunatly made arrangements for beer with a mate back in Glasgow so didnt have the time ( booting myself now ) the way down was warm on the feet to say the least but i stopped at the bridge at the start of the track to cool the tootsies down a bit. the track up was busy with platoons of people heading up, i hope they enjoyed there walk as much as I did 8)
Attachments
ben vorlich 032.JPG
from the shoulder to the top
ben vorlich 036.JPG
cracking day
ben vorlich 009.JPG
the view back down to loch earn
ben vorlich 020.JPG
on the top
Graham207
Munro compleatist

Munros:14   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A donder up Ben Vorlich on a hot day off from work

Postby skuk007 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Good first report Graham. Keep them coming.
Looks like you had great weather for it, you didn't fancy the other Munro?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: A donder up Ben Vorlich on a hot day off from work

Postby Graham207 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:08 pm

I did indeed, but i also fancied an early session in sauchiehall st and had made arrangements, rage'in now as days like that are few and far between
Graham207
Munro compleatist

Munros:14   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland