walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith with a scramble!

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith with a scramble!

Postby ed_hill » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Route description: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 26/08/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On a fine Sunday morning I headed out from home in Grantown for an hours drive to Auchlean in Glenfeshie, my target was Mullach Clach a'Bhlair - I had read that this could easily be a boring hill climbed by a boring route so planned to make it more interesting by walking into Coire Garbhlach and scrambling up it's head.

It was a beautiful morning as me and Flynn (our wee cocker) left the carpark with blankets of purple heather and clear blue skys.

DSCF1332.JPG

We headed along the Feshie through the heather to meet the Allt Garbh, before following it south into the Coire.

DSCF1335.JPG

It was hard going through the heather with no real path and having to cross the allt several times, but thoroughly enjoyable being in such a stunning and untouched place, before long I was well into the mouth of the Coire. Heading upstream I saw two wee birds I later identified as Dippers (correct me if I'm wrong!)

DSCF1341.JPG

DSCF1340.JPG

After working my way up the coire for about an hour I stopped for refueling and to choose my exit scramble out the head of the coire - I chose this:

DSCF1348.JPG

It was hard work and mildly terrifying climbing and scrambling up the head but the views looking west and back into the coire as I pulled myself up out the coire were literally breath-taking!

DSCF1356.JPG

It was then a short stroll over decent tracks to the summit of Mullach Clach a'Bhlair, and had chance to catch my breath and take in the views. We got lunch on the summit - cheese roll for me and rodeos for Flynn!

DSCF1364.JPG

I hadn't planned on climbing Sgor Gaoith today but I could see it's peak across the plateau and since I had climbed it in February in 'pea soup' with no views whatsoever, today was too good an oppourtunity to miss to get the views down into Loch Einich. So I headed off across the plateau taking in the views of the Great Moss, Carn Toul and Angels Peak.

DSCF1371.JPG

DSCF1376.JPG

After meeting several people (and other dogs!) around Carn Ban Mhor we were soon at Sgor Goaith. As expected the views were simply stunning and better than I could have imagined. Unfortunatley there was zero wind on the peak and the midges were out in force so couldn't stay long on fear of being eaten alive!

DSCF1392.JPG

DSCF1399.JPG

From here we took the direct route down to the car park at Auchlean, there was an easy path to follow that as it came downhill wove through a very bonnie scots pine and juniper wood.

DSCF1418.JPG

I had a great day in the Glenfeshie hills and found walking through the Coire a much more entertaining way of tackling Mullach Clach a'Bhlair, rather than simply following the landrover track, the scramble was challenging but there are a number of options out of the coire to suit all skill levels. The views over the moss were stunning and make me very excited and motivated to take the Carn Toul massiff sometime soon. Getting the views from Sgor Gaoith were an added bonus that I hadn't planned on. A great day out!
ed_hill
Munro compleatist

Munros:236   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Re: Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith with a scramble!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Love that first photo :D

Some nice shots.

Still to do these 2 so will have a look at your route as appears interesting.

Cheers.

Oh well done for adding the 2nd Munro, again.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Bod » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Aye a very nice report there. Love the first photo of Flynn and many others. Food for thought on your route up Mullach Clach a'Bhlair :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Oh I loved Coire Garbhlach when I passed it.. Good route :thumbup:

I did it in the sna an the cald.. the contrast is astounding looking at your pics :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby nathan79 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Nice report. Love that first picture.

I've done Sgor Gaoith but I've yet to do MCaB. Good to know there's a scramble to be had. Music to my ears!
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby ed_hill » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:15 am

thanks for all the comments. found a photo from our trip up Sgor Gaoith in Feb/March this year - quite funny to compare the two!

IMG_0747.JPG
DSCF1392.JPG
ed_hill
Munro compleatist

Munros:236   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Looks a steep route up you chose and lucky you getting views from Sgor Gaoith, twice ive been on it and seen nothing. Like others, that first photo is a cracker :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby quoman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Ave no been up there yet but looks lovely on a nice day ...Flynn looks to be enjoying himself
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Flynn look's as if he's giving you the evil eye in that first picture :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby David-Main » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Did this one at end of June ed, it was glorious sunshine, i too had my cocker with me ed and a few rodeos for her lunch :lol: Love your 1st photo of flyn and the colours of the heather.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland