walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Weekend in Snowdonia

Weekend in Snowdonia

Postby fipriestley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa, Tryfan, Y Lliwedd

Date walked: 25/08/2012

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday was the poorer forecast so I planned to do the Glyder loop adding in Tryfan and leave Snowdonia for the better day on Sunday.

SDC16148.JPG
planned route, nipping up Tryfan between points 2 & 3 :D
SDC16151.JPG
rain bouncing as I set off
SDC16154.JPG
can't see far but good path ahead so all is well :)
Thinking I should be coming up to a lake soon my heart sank when I figured I'd misread the map as I could see what looked like a drop up ahead... managed to stop with a few paces to go when I realised this was the lake! :lol:
SDC16159.JPG
Went round the lake and found the path again, constantly checking navigation, taking bearings and walking on the compass. Took 2.5 hours to reach the summit of Tryfan :shock:
SDC16170.JPG
peeking over the edge of Tryfan, could hear voices but was a few minutes before I saw anyone else
Picked my way down the rock field and navigated across to pick up the path heading for Glyder Fach to continue the loop. Already thinking I wouldn't get the full round done though as this was taking way too long :o I figured I'd take the exit path down through Devil's Kitchen.
SDC16181.JPG
followed the cairns up Glyder Fach and went over the huge boulders
Getting later still (so much slower when you can't see where you're going!) I decided to miss Glyder Fawr and take the first exit path down Y Gribin. Took a bit of to-ing and fro-ing before I found the path, which I soon lost again! Ended up picking my way down over the slippy crags and even more slippy mud, doing a backwards crab move with feet first facing forwards... lost my footing at one point and slid further than I meant to = bruised lump on my leg and even worse, smashed my compass :shock: :( Then the clag started to clear and I could see where I was headed - not sure that was a good thing as I hadn't picked the easiest way down!
SDC16187.JPG
SDC16190.JPG
phew! not the easiest way down! :D
Now that I could see further I was able to pick my way across the hillside and found the path again :D Straightforward from here, followed the path and picked up the main route back from the lake.
SDC16198.JPG
back at the lake, view to Devil's Kitchen
SDC16200.JPG
good path back to the car park, I jogged most of the way :)
Back to the car at 7.30pm this had taken 8hrs! :shock:

Day 2: with no compass and given that I'd made a promise to stay safe :) I went for the Snowdon Horseshoe but followed the Pyg track, missing Crib Goch and the pinnacles. I know this is a big tourist attraction but was still surprised at the number of people, nervousness of some and attire of others - hats off to them all though :clap: Up to Snowdon summit, now in clag then I carried on to follow the ridge over Y Llwedd. Views were clear by now so no worries being without a compass, I went for the scramble over this ridge and finished the loop on the Miners track :D Car park at Pen-y-Pass had been full when I arrived, so I waited almost an hour for the bus back to Nant Peris - could have walked it quicker I'm sure, but I wasn't in a rush :lol:
SDC16214.JPG
start of Pyg Track, Crib Goch beyond
SDC16219.JPG
view over to path down at the end of my loop
SDC16220.JPG
tops all clear at this point...
SDC16230.JPG
felt like I was in a penguin parade :D no getting lost here anyway!
SDC16236.JPG
a money tree!
SDC16242.JPG
Snowdon summit now in clag - still no getting lost though!
SDC16245.JPG
hardly any standing room up there (but I found a wee space!)
SDC16258.JPG
down the scree and view cleared again heading for Y Lliwedd (told the guy carrying his bike this was most impressive lol!)
SDC16264.JPG
path splits for the Watkin Path but I'm heading for those rocks straight ahead :)
SDC16272.JPG
kept to the ridge line on the scramble up (safely of course!)
SDC16276.JPG
view back to Snowdon, still in clag
SDC16279.JPG
Y Lliwedd summit
SDC16280.JPG
just looking - this isn't the way down!
SDC16294.JPG
tops cleared again
SDC16300.JPG
finish on a tarmac path :)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Weekend in Snowdonia

Postby scoob999 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:44 am

Great report there Fi :D
As if it's no hard enough staying in front of you, i'm gonna have to go to Wales too!
Glad your safe, it looks stunning down there :D
Well done :clap:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 am

Drove past many of the Snowdon car parks on Sunday lunchtime - they were overflowing to bursting. Snowdon on an August bank holiday - no thanks!

Still, it's a pretty fine horseshoe. If you want it to yourself, you need to get up early doors :)
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4311
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Great report Fi, that first day looked a bit miserable though with some dodgy bit too....I reckon you should have called it off and sat in the pub :lol: . Glad to see day 2 picked up weather wise even if the lack of a compass made you take the incredibly packed trail you still made the most of the weather. Now you can get down to the store and get a new compass.....and it would be a shame to go all that way and not get a new top, and maybe some socks, perhaps just a look at the boots............. :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 pm

Great report Fi and good to see a typical Snowdonia weekend - total clag one day and sun the next! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ERYRIWERDD » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Great summary and photos-really enjoyed thanks.
ERYRIWERDD
Mountaineer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland