walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helvellyn - Mattys first mountain

Helvellyn - Mattys first mountain

Postby MarkyMark10 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Helvellyn

Hewitts included on this walk: Helvellyn

Date walked: 23/08/2012

Time taken: 5

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 350m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following much inspiration from “JohnKaysLeftLeg” reports I decided it was time to dust of the boots and get back to Mountain climbing. My 9 year old son was also desperate to climb his first mountain so we plumped for Helvellyn. The easier route from Thirlmere, “Not Striding Edge” my wife told me.
Arrived at 08:45am at the Whythburn car park next to the south bank of Thirlmere to find we were only the second car there. To think I was worried about parking. Weather was overcast and raining slightly but spirits were high for the walk ahead and hoping for a clear summit.

IMG_1433.JPG
Thirlmere

Initial climb through the woods and onto Helvellyn is quite steep and took my breath away but didn’t slow down the young one.
Hurry Up Dad “Is that the Summit?”
IMG_1436.JPG
Climbing up to Comb Gill

Much fun was had on the way up through Comb Gill and climbing up Comb Crag with false summits claims. “Is that the top Dad?” – Nope I said with much delight on a number of occasions. However this is such a lovely flattish bit after the hard work at the start of the walk to recover before the climb up Comb Crag.
IMG_1439.JPG
Comb Gill and Matty

IMG_1445.JPG
Long Winding Path

Finally we reached the split in the path between Helvellyn and Nethermost Pike.
Here we got a fantastic view of Striding Edge. Always looks daunting from here but one day I hope to follow that route – Maybe when he’s older.
IMG_1448.JPG
Striding Edge

IMG_1449.JPG
Views from top

One last pull to the top past the sheep and we made it and the summit.

Pose for picture above Swirral Edge and Red Tarn.
IMG_1452.JPG
Swirral Edge and Red Tarn

Stones placed on Cairn, Sandwiches eaten in shelter and photo at Trig point. All ticked off just as mist descended.
Helvellyn conquered so we headed off down the long stepped path to Swirls Car Park.
IMG_1462.JPG
Stepped path

However, on the way down I suffered a boot malfunction. My sole started to come away at the toe and then fell off completely.
IMG_1463.JPG
Wot no sole?

This made climbing down the damp steps very treacherous and fell a number of times.
In the end I ripped out the hard plastic inner sole and walked down with just the Gore-Tex inner and socks protecting my feet which was a bit sore at times and made it slow going.

At the bottom we admired the waterfalls before the 2 mile walk back to the car through the forest.
IMG_1467.JPG
Waterfall

Even saw a red squirrel which made up for my sore left foot.

All in all a good day on Hellvellyn and Matty bagged his first Wainwright. Next he wants to do Scafell Pike (good ambition) but first I need to get some new boots.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Re: Helvellyn - Mattys first mountain

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Many thanks for the name check! :D
Great to see you getting back to the hills with your boy with you. As for the boot malfunction it puts my soggy foot on Snowdon into perspective. Oh and congrats to Matty :clap: :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Great report MM, your lad looks less happy at the top....was he worn out :lol: shame about the boot, never seen that happen before but at least you made it home injury free and with a good excuse to get down to the local trekking shop :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MarkyMark10 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:09 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report MM, your lad looks less happy at the top....was he worn out :lol: shame about the boot, never seen that happen before but at least you made it home injury free and with a good excuse to get down to the local trekking shop :lol:

Matty was very cold at the summit. He had loads of layers but I had forgotten gloves and his hands were freezing. For some reason I had hoped gloves werent necessary in the British Summer http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=16&p=154190#

My boots leaked on Consiton Old Man and I guess that meybe weakened the glue in my boots. So glad this didnt happen on the way up. Like you say though its a good chance to get some new ones. How are the Scapas going JohnKay?
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:37 pm

MarkyMark10 wrote:My boots leaked on Consiton Old Man and I guess that meybe weakened the glue in my boots. So glad this didnt happen on the way up. Like you say though its a good chance to get some new ones. How are the Scapas going JohnKay?

Spot on. 54k and 4000meters of ascent so far and already worn in nicely.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby garyhortop » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Nice report MM and good to see Matty out there - no doubt he'll get the bug...well at least until he discovers girls!! :wink: I also use Scarpa's and they have turned out to be great boots and good investment! Look forward to future reports! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Ibex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:35 pm

And I thought i'd climbed Hellvelyn every possible way.
Its nice to see people take their young children up the mountains. Hopefully they will love the experiences and go on to become the next generation of mountain walkers.

If I ever have a child I will make sure I take them up into the mountains. Glad to see your lad enjoyed it so much!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland