walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Tanar Exploration

Glen Tanar Exploration

Postby RicKamila » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Date walked: 28/08/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 406m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With such a lovely day forecast, I (Rick) decided to head out on my own for the first time and chose to explore the wonderful Glen Tanar. I sat down the night before on the GPS planner and decided that I would head in the direction of Clachan Yell. Arriving at Glen Tanar car park at 1050am, I paid my parking fee and was off at 11am.

The cows and sheep were grazing in the warm sun as I walked towards St Lesmo's Church. I decided I would make this my last stop on the way back and look at the headstones more closely, so walked past and at the junction I turned right as if heading to the Knockie viewpoint. Keeping straight on the track where it breaks off to reach the viewpoint, I carried on at a brisk pace, stopping only for photos.

IMGP3034.JPG

The landscape was a sea of purple heather and ferns and I stopped for a drink and admired the view. The water looked very inviting as it rushed alongside me. This part of Glen Tanar I know extremely well as its where we started our walking back in 2010.

IMGP3037.JPG
Stunning colours

IMGP3043.JPG

Eventually I reached the bridge that takes you on a loop back to the carpark, but I decided to carry on along the track. I hadn't been down this far before and was taking everything in and taking lots of photos. It was a stunning area, with some rapids and lots of ferns and trees.

IMGP3047.JPG
Stone Bridge

IMGP3053.JPG
Rapids

IMGP3057.JPG
How can you tire of this??

I passed by a hut, it looked like a salmon bothy but I never entered to have a look, and reached a crossing. There was a path to my left climbing uphill, and not wanting to get my feet wet, I took that. If I carried on over the crossing, I would have reached Clachan Yell, but as I wasn't fussed where I was going, I decided to get some height into the walk.

The track narrowed and reached a t-junction, which would have been my path back from Clachan Yell. It took me downhill through a landscape of heather and trees and eventually I reached a man-made loch with a small waterfall under a bridge.

IMGP3070.JPG
Small waterfall near man-made loch

I carried on along the path and stopped at some ferns where I had disturbed numerous small birds. I saw my first ever wild Blue Tit, which flew away as I was changing my lens on the camera to zoom in. Also saw a couple of finches and lots of sparrows. I spent a good 10 minutes just watching the birds dart around. One even responded to my whistling.

IMGP3071.JPG
Where the birds were

As I carried on, I soon came to a familiar marker which meant I had reached Firmounth Road. I had a choice of going straight ahead to Knockie Viewpoint or turning right and going past the Haunted Stag memorial. I chose the latter. The path took me slightly uphill before it turns sharply to the left and becomes very steep. I counted my steps from the turn up the bit where it starts to flatten out next to a white pole and my step count was 627 (or 750 normal person footsteps). I stopped halfway along to admire more colourful scenery.

IMGP3076.JPG

As I was climbing, the cloud rolled in from the west and the breeze picked up and it cooled down quickly. Reaching the top, I got a good view of Mount Battock and Mount Keen. I walked past the Haunted Stag memorials which were erected by the Laird after he shot a Red Deer Stag from a great distance with a primitive gun (1800's I think).

IMGP3094.JPG
Two memorial boulders on the moor

I could hear RAF jets in the distance and was ready to shoot (pardon the expression) if they passed by with my camera. The only things I ended up seeing were two gliders from the nearby gliding club. The views to the North were superb, with the Buck and Bennachie clearly visible from this side of the hill. Morven and Loch Kinord looked splendid too.

IMGP3097.JPG
Bennachie

IMGP3104.JPG
Morven and Loch Kinord

IMGP3111.JPG
The Buck of Cabrach

The track winds downhill from this bit as I went right at the t-junction and then left again at the next path. The trees and ferns give this bit a wild feel.

IMGP3119.JPG

As I walked down this path, a beautiful butterfly took off from a fern and I stalked it for around 100m waiting for it to settle before I managed to get an amazing photo of it. Later identified as a Small Tortoiseshell (thanks Gythral).

IMGP3125.JPG
Simply beautiful. Well worth the 100m stalking

Shortly afterwards it started raining lightly, but stopped once I reached the main track near the Fairy Lochan. As I was walking towards the lochan, a deer scared the you-know-what out of me as it bolted from the ferns and then stopped and looked at me from a distance. I stopped and grabbed my camera and caught it just as it ran again.

IMGP3129.JPG
Spot the deer

I sat at the bench at the Fairy Lochan and had my lunch before carrying on to St Lesmo's again and having a good look around it before crossing the main bridge back to the car and heading off home. What a wonderful day I had!!

IMGP3140.JPG
St Lesmo's Church

IMGP3142.JPG
St Lesmo's entrance
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: Glen Tanar Exploration

Postby Ranger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:06 pm

The heather is beautiful at the moment. Went for a wander up Scolty hill recently and, when the sun shines on it, it just looks amazing 8)
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby RicKamila » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Im just waiting for the Thistle's to come out now. Lots of them starting to shoot up out of the ground, but nothing worth capturing on film yet.

Scolty Hill is a great wee hill. Might head up there next week I think.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Lovely lovely lovely :D

Hope you're submitting one of those photos for the competition, they are all superb :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby RicKamila » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:27 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Lovely lovely lovely :D

Hope you're submitting one of those photos for the competition, they are all superb :clap:

Thanks Polly :thumbup:

Its a toss up between one from Glen Tanar or a castle this time around. Hopefully something that gets me more votes this time!! :lol:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby Andrew Wilson » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am

When you look at these photographs it makes you think "Scotland is such a beautiful place"
Andrew Wilson
Bird-watcher

Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:26 pm

Love this RK, when I lived in Banchory this was a local stomping ground for me and I made the most of it, great to see it again now. You got perfect conditions too by the look of it with visibility as far as you wanted to see, lovely photos of a familiar place :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby RicKamila » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:39 pm

Andrew Wilson wrote:When you look at these photographs it makes you think "Scotland is such a beautiful place"

Indeed you do.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby RicKamila » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:40 pm

ChrisW wrote:Love this RK, when I lived in Banchory this was a local stomping ground for me and I made the most of it, great to see it again now. You got perfect conditions too by the look of it with visibility as far as you wanted to see, lovely photos of a familiar place :clap:

Cheers Chris. I did think of you when I was there. I love the place.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby Bod » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Glen Tanar is a beautiful place and I enjoyed living there for a couple of years. The estate forester was a close friend of mine and it was joy to be part of the community and enjoy the area :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland