walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Mullardoch 12?, na 3 will do for the noo

The Mullardoch 12?, na 3 will do for the noo

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Route description: Càrn Eige and Mam Sodhail

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Màm Sodhail

Date walked: 28/08/2012

Time taken: 9.3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ever since reading mgmt's report of the Mullardoch round, taking in all twelve Munros over three days, i'd allways fancied giving it a go but had never got round to it. So with the weather looking ok for this area, sunny spells with light rain showers although high winds we decided to knock three off the twelve. We set off late for this walk, 11.15 to be precise, so knew we'd be pushing it to be back before dark. We did discuss doing Tom a' Choinich & Toll Creagach instead, even doing the five was spoken about but there was no way we'd have the time for that, but finally opted for the three. We set off from the Forestry car park at the end of Loch Beinn a' Mheadhoin along the track to just before the Lodge, where a track leads up the hillside. We were going to follow this track all the way to Gleann nam Fiadh and then onto the ridge, making Carn Eighe our first Munro but we came to a marker cairn and a path off to the left which we decided to take instead, now making Mam Sodhail our first Munro. This was a stroke of luck for us as on our return we had to wade the river at Nam Fiadh as there was no way across. As we made our way up to Sgurr na Lapaich, i was struggling with no energy in me, think it was lack of sleep but a chocolate bar and a enegy drink seemed to do the trick. However it was not over for me as firstly i was getting pain on the ball of my left foot, then my right leg and finally for the last hour or so my left knee started playing up, this putting a stop to our plans to camp and climb the other two Munros the following day. The Craggies were full of sympathy towards me, not. We're now on the ridge making our way to Mam Sodhail and what a fine ridge it is, however we were battling against strong winds and rain showers which made it hard going. We reached the summit, had a bite to eat then made our way to Carn Eighe. What we should have did was bypass it and go for Beinn Fhionnlaidh instead and save us a bit of climbing. Anyway we got to Carn Eighe where there was an older group at the summit who were no too chatty, one was sitting at the edge of the cairn when we arrived, he looked up then looked straight back down again without uttering a word :? . They then left, we took some photos and then left for Munro three before returning to Carn Eighe. We now started to make our way down the ridge but felt it was a better option to get off it as the wind was knocking us off our feet, so we made our way down to the Coire Leachavie. We followed the river, eventually having to wade through to get back on the track back to the finish. We arrived back at the car at 21.45, soaked and tired but pleased with our days efforts. All that was left now was for Jimmy to get us back safely to Killin while i had a well deserved kip in the car. :thumbup:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P1030781.JPG
Turn right about here

P1030782.JPG
Loch Affric

P1030783.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich

P1030784.JPG
Loch Affric

P1030785.JPG
Glen Affric

P1030786.JPG
The ridge to Mam Sodhail

P1030787.JPG
Is it windy Mo?

P1030788.JPG
Mam Sodhail summit

P1030789.JPG
Carn Eighe

P1030790.JPG
Carn Eighe ridge

P1030791.JPG
Mo and i at the summit

P1030793.JPG
Beinn Fionnliadh

P1030794.JPG
Jimmy sitting patiently at the summit

P1030795.JPG
Loch Mullardoch

P1030797.JPG
Carn Eighe & Mam Sodhail

P1030798.JPG
Stob Coire Dhomhnuill

P1030799.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich

P1030800.JPG
Carn Eighe
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: The Mullardoch 12?, na 3 will do for the noo

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Thats pants about the weather and not managing the 12. It did look windy though. Mo looks as though shes nearly blown away.
We were extremely lucky with the weather when we did the 12....Give me a shout the next time and ill guide you all around the 12 :lol:
Its not like the Craggies to be unsympathetic :wink:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Stuart Angus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Do you 3 not work? :lol: 8) Definitley wasn't me you met at the top of the hill, if it was, you'd still be there now :D
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Paula Hubens » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Well, they're in the bag now. It's 3 munros more that I did this week (or the week before that, or...)
I can see from the pictures that you got the wind thrown at you! Hope that your left foot, right leg and left knee are OK now.
Paula Hubens

Postby ChrisW » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 pm

The usual good stuff JC, shame you got blown away but perhaps it's for the best given the knee, foot, leg pains.I know that feeling all too well after my incident a couple of weeks go :roll: hope a short rest put 'em back to normal. :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Aye JC when the weather is against you not to mention the aches and pains there isn't much you can do. Nice walk though. :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:46 pm

Pity about the weather - like you, I've got a plan for the round with a tent but at the moment it'll be 2020 before I get there ! Hope your leg and foot are healing up - like you, I get pain inn the ball of my left foot, due to metatarsalgia, so am going to try some special insoles with a raised section just before the ball of the foot. 8) Mind you, given the number of hills you climb it's almost no wonder your feet are compalining :wink: :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Cheers for the replies, injuries are healing nicely. I'm putting it down to one thing and one thing only, auld age :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby quoman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Three's better than none JC ....After reading most of you report's in the last few weeks i can see how you have all the aches and pain's :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jimmy Craghopper » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:14 pm

Get a decent pair of boots johnny they mendals fae aldies r for ramblers. Were looking for a new Number 1 :D
Jimmy Craghopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:40
Fionas:10   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:27 pm

Jimmy Craghopper wrote:Get a decent pair of boots johnny they mendals fae aldies r for ramblers. Were looking for a new Number 1 :D

im here..... your new number 1 :wink: told you in knoydart about the so called expedition leader !
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:51 am

You did well in those conditions. With potential gusts up to 80mph I decided to nurse my big toe that's lost half its nail that day! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 pm

quoman wrote:Three's better than none JC ....After reading most of you report's in the last few weeks i can see how you have all the aches and pain's :lol: :lol:
Cheers you could be right :)
Jimmy Craghopper wrote:Get a decent pair of boots johnny they mendals fae aldies r for ramblers. Were looking for a new Number 1 :D
This made me laugh :lol:
mountain thyme wrote:

im here..... your new number 1 :wink: told you in knoydart about the so called expedition leader !
This made me laugh some more :lol:
dogplodder wrote:You did well in those conditions. With potential gusts up to 80mph I decided to nurse my big toe that's lost half its nail that day! :lol:
Thanks,good choice you made :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland