walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Through 90 miles of rain to Beinn Sgritheall sunshine

Through 90 miles of rain to Beinn Sgritheall sunshine

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 25/08/2012

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I often think how privileged I am to live in the Highlands with a life flexible enough to follow the weather and climb hills where the odds are on for views from the top. It's not like that for everyone. Penny had to book her holidays in advance and fly up from Oxford and the day after she arrived the previously settled weather was threatened by a low rolling in from the Atlantic. :(

Knowing how much she'd looked forward to this holiday I scoured the weather web sites searching for the least dismal outlook for a hill on Saturday. I considered Lochaber and Glencoe but was eventually drawn to Beinn Sgritheall on the west coast which looked to me to be the Munro with the best chance of good visibility and sun and smallest chance of low cloud and rain. :wink:

We left Inverness shrouded in mist and rain and drove west. Loch Ness was low cloud and rain. Loch Cluanie was low cloud and rain. Kintail was low cloud and rain. We drove through 90 miles of low cloud and rain to Arnisdale and to my amazement (oh ye of little faith) the cloud was lifting and there was no rain! :thumbup:

Loch Hourn at Arnisdale
DSC_0617-large.jpg

We parked in the village and walked back to the signpost marked Beinn Sgritheall which pointed up a muddy path through knee high grass and bracken.

Arnisdale still with cloud about - but it wasn't raining
DSC_0619-large.jpg

We'd been warned this hill was steep from sea level - and that's how it turned out to be!
DSC_0620-large.jpg

We crossed a couple of burns and each time the path seemed to steepen. Part of the way followed an old wire fence which I found useful for hauling myself up. Eventually we reached a grassy hollow which dipped down and over the burn before climbing steeply again. I'd read in someone's report there was an area of respite and kept asking "Do you think this is the respite?". Maybe that was the respite - but if it was it was so short we didn't notice! :lol:

Kath and Penny
DSC_0623-large.jpg

It was humid and sticky but the voracious west coast midge was in business so there was little temptation to take a break. We just kept plodding on - up, up and up... and then we turned round and were rewarded by this.

View over north end of Knoydart to Sleat peninsula and island of Rhum - and blue sky! :D
DSC_0624-large.jpg

We knew the steepest climb was still to come up the scree to the 906 metre top. At the bealach there was a pleasant breeze that gave some midge relief so we sat down for a little energy boosting calorie intake.

Penny with chocolate, which she shared, Jack with a carrot, which he ate all himself.
DSC_0625-large.jpg

WH warned of a turf-clutching crawl and the importance of finding the fingers of grass extending down through the scree. We tried to find the longest finger but maybe we missed it and didn't have so much a turf-clutching crawl as a moving-stone-clutching crawl. :wtf: Not my favourite kind of terrain but it didn't go on for ever and yes it was a relief to reach the cairn at the top of this 'top'!

Beinn na h-Eaglaise from half way up scree
DSC_0630-large.jpg

Jack surveying the way ahead (Kath's pic)
jack on beinn sgritheall.jpg

Kath and Penny in sunshine on 906 metre top with Kintail hills still under cloud
DSC_0633-large.jpg

View south east to Barrisdale Bay and Ladhar Bheinn
DSC_0635-large.jpg

Beinn Sgritheall summit ahead
DSC_0637-large.jpg

Look at that sky! :D
DSC_0639-large.jpg

Over Knoydart to flat-topped island of Eigg
DSC_0642-large.jpg

South over Knoydart to glimpse of Loch Nevis and beyond
DSC_0643-large.jpg

Beinn Sgritheall summit
DSC_0646-large.jpg

Lunch at the summit looking north. Kath is a soft touch with dogs - and they know it. :lol:
DSC_0652-large.jpg

The Sisters and Saddle from Sgritheall
DSC_0654-large.jpg

The way down
DSC_0655-large.jpg

It was steep - right down to the road! :shock:
DSC_0656-large.jpg

Sound of Sleat towards Kylerhea ferry crossing
DSC_0657-large.jpg

The west ridge is steep and rocky
DSC_0662-large.jpg

As we clambered down a knobbly bit I said (unhelpfully as it turned out) "Need to be careful - it's going down that accidents happen" and Penny promptly slipped and fell. She was okay and maintained it was a psychological fall because of what I'd said! :lol:

Penny looking at Skye from start of the descent
DSC_0664-large.jpg

Beinn Sgritheall's west ridge
DSC_0665-large.jpg

Somewhere around here we were overtaken by a young man running. Well to be accurate I spotted someone coming down behind us and going faster than we were going so I got into a layby to let him past but he was very polite and said no it was fine. I hate to think how frustrated he would have been if he'd had to slow down to my geriatric pace! :lol: Anyway we stopped and had a wee blether as you do and I asked if he ever posted on Walkhighlands. I just had a feeling he might be one of the names I know on here. 8) He said he was DavyB who sometimes walks with Dooterbang - and a very nice chap he was too. He had his bike stashed somewhere on the road and we passed him on it later. Cheers DavyB if you read this and hope you had a midge free night camping! :D

Beinn Sgritheall's summit on west side
DSC_0666-large.jpg

A clear path continues down the west ridge to a small lochan where you take a left turn.
DSC_0667-large.jpg

This path down to the road becomes progressively steeper until it disappears into a jungle of birch, rowan and bracken. At times you feel you need a machete as it's difficult to see where to put your next step. :? At one point I took a tumble and grabbed a sapling to stop me rolling down the steep hillside. :shock: The other two were ahead as I stumbled on with jelly legs finding the going more and more unpleasant with insects (midge and flies) buzzing around and parts of the path a quagmire but so overgrown it was difficult to get off it. :? In a group situation the dogs tend to stick wth whoever's in the lead but just when I was feeling fed up and wondering why I do this Jack came back up the path looking for me. It was so good to see him. :D He stayed close to me after that :angel: and gave me a new burst of energy to get down off that steep hillside on to the road for the 3k walk back to the car.

Once on the road it was easy walking back towards Arnisdale. I have a few photos from that part of the walk which I will add in a post.

On the journey home we were back into cloud and drizzle by the time we reached Shiel Bridge. We stopped for a drink at the Cluanie Inn and from the window Ciste Dubh was invisible under thick cloud. So it seemed all my anorak searching of weather web sites had paid off and we had found a Munro not only with a cloud free summit but which had no rain all day and was for most of the time wreathed in sunshine. :D

So a big thank you to the weather men for getting it right on Saturday! :clap: :clap:
Last edited by dogplodder on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: 90 miles through rain to Beinn Sgritheall sunshine

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Sun still shining out west
DSC_0668-large.jpg

Loch Hourn in late afternoon sun
DSC_0669-large.jpg

Loch Hourn looking west
DSC_0670-large.jpg

Rainbow near Glenelg
DSC_0671-large.jpg

Interesting sky
DSC_0672-largel.jpg
dogplodder

Re: Through 90 miles of rain to Beinn Sgritheall sunshine

Postby Ranger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks for posting :D

This one's on my list, might keep it for my last, views look amazing 8)
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:15 pm

Lively, entertaining report Kathleen :clap:

I must say I could look at your photographs all day, they are magnificent :clap: :clap:

As for scree....... :( :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby soulminer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:24 pm

I knew the views were good, but.......... 8)
We saw bu**er all from this mountain, rain drops the size of bloody marbles 3/4 of the way up and down :shock: soup under foot, and saturation point before the steepest of the walk. Brilliant sunshine a Kilometre from the car, people strolling about in Hawaii shirts, shorts,shades and ice-creams :lol: :lol: and we went through misery. Has it stopped us - no As I told a gentleman and his wife once, after passing them- in full hilarity mode, and meeting them on their way up as we were descending- 'It is the Tories fault, Thatcher shut the Asylums and we had no where left to go' :lol:
We will have to revisit for Doogz to tick it off our 'seen bu**er all from' list, hope it is as fine a day as you had.
Cheers
soulminer

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Ranger wrote:

Would be a fine one for last! :D

Glenelg Inn is meant to be good for apres climb - but we went on to Cluanie.
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Another great report and stunning photos :D :D
We climbed this hill in the 80s, years before we started counting the munros, so according to our own rules we need to pay it a return visit. On our first visit we had the same conditions as you did so we're saving it for a day when the weather gods are in a good mood. It's a beautiful hill. :D l :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Clach Liath » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:24 pm

dogplodder wrote:Eventually we reached a grassy hollow which dipped down and over the burn before climbing steeply again. I'd read in someone's report there was an area of respite and kept asking "Do you think this is the respite?". Maybe that was the respite - but if it was it was so short we didn't notice! :lol:

Mea culpa! :(

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24605

But in my defence I did say it was "brief"! And it is, and we did not have the midges to fend off either.

dogplodder wrote:
Ranger wrote:

Would be a fine one for last! :D

Glenelg Inn is meant to be good for apres climb - but we went on to Cluanie.

I agree it would be good hill for a compleation. And as you will see from the report above, we resorted to the Glenelg Inn afterwards. :) :)

It looks like the weather you had was the same as that we had on our first ascent all those years ago. :D
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Lively, entertaining report Kathleen :clap:

I must say I could look at your photographs all day, they are magnificent :clap: :clap:

As for scree....... :( :(

Thanks Pauline - you're such a great encourager! :clap:
dogplodder

Postby monty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:39 pm

Lovely report DP. The photos are excellent. It is a tough relentless ascent from the off. But you know that now :lol:
monty

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:09 pm

When i did this walk it was in rain, wind and clag and have since been told on a few occasions of the stunning views from it. Now i see them, cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby quoman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Stunning picture's dogplodder and it sure does look step
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:57 pm

soulminer wrote:As I told a gentleman and his wife once, after passing them- in full hilarity mode, and meeting them on their way up as we were descending- 'It is the Tories fault, Thatcher shut the Asylums and we had no where left to go' :lol:

:lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:
We climbed this hill in the 80s, years before we started counting the munros, so according to our own rules we need to pay it a return visit. On our first visit we had the same conditions as you did so we're saving it for a day when the weather gods are in a good mood. It's a beautiful hill. :D

It's a stunning hill but you certainly earn those views with the steepness up and down! :wink: :D
dogplodder

Postby kath098 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks for another great day in the hills. Looking for a walking buddy on WalkHighlands (and finding you!) was the best thing I ever did! :clap: Lovely to meet Penny, also! :D
kath098
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:4

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland