walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From Lightning Bolt to Thunderbolt

From Lightning Bolt to Thunderbolt

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:42 am

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 11/08/2012

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another quick report and some photos from a recent trip back onto Beinn a'Bheithir.

I had a walking companion for this one, in the shape of Stuart, a colleague from work who was keen to get out in the hills. He’s no novice himself, but hasn’t been out as regularly as myself. I’d made a few suggestions, and we decided on Beinn a'Bheithir as he hadn’t done this hill himself before. So, with the Olympics coming to an end all talk of Oosain “Lightening” Bolt was replaced with talk of the Thunderbolt :D :D

Weather wise it was a perfect day, as we had warm sunshine all day, with enough breeze from time to time to cool us down. Really don’t need many words, as hopefully the pictures tell the story :D :D
DSCF1580.JPG
Beinn a'Bheithir from the start of the walk

I’d chosen to include Sgorr Bhan as well as the two Munros, to make a proper circuit of the walk and also because the view from that top up to Sgorr Dhearg is (in my opinion) breathtaking :D :D

Got some great views back toward the Loch Leven and the Glencoe and surrounding hills on the way up. I had warned Stuart that the trek up the flank of Sgorr Bhan was steep, pathless and involved a lovely section of heather and bracken before we eventually located the path. I’d forgotten just how steep and just how lovely the heather and bracken was :lol: :lol: A tough introduction to the hill, that’s for sure.
DSCF1587.JPG
The bracken-fest

DSCF1588.JPG
And the at last, the path

DSCF1591.JPG
The "Pap" and Loch Leven

DSCF1596.JPG
Down to the bridge and Loch Leven

Once on the path the rest of the route is a sheer pleasure (well, except for one section that Stuart was not at all keen on later in the day :lol: :lol:)
DSCF1597.JPG
On the route up Beinn Bhan

DSCF1602.JPG
Beinn Bhan ridge higher up toward the summit

DSCF1608.JPG
Loch Leven from Beinn Bhan summit

DSCF1611.JPG
The view from Beinn Bhan to Sgorr Dhearg

Walking to Sgurr Bhan and then onto the two Munros of Sgorr Bhan and Sgorr Dhonuill is on a good path and any steepness doesn’t really feel that bad. Had great views from all three summits :D :D
DSCF1625.JPG
On the way up Sgorr Dhearg

DSCF1628.JPG
View back from Sgorr Dhearg to Beinn Bhan

DSCF1642.JPG
Sgurr Dhonuill from Sgorr Dhearg

DSCF1647.JPG
The route up Sgurr Dhonuill

DSCF1662.JPG
The Dragon's tooth

DSCF1665.JPG
Sgurr Dhonuill - the classic view

DSCF1673.JPG
Sgorr Dhearg from Sgurr Dhonuill

DSCF1684.JPG
The Bidean

And then the descent :D :D :lol: :lol:

I’d chosen to drop down off Sgorr Dhonuill and work our way round Coire Dearg. Here there is a steep, scree filled gully 8) I should have taken a picture of Stuart’s face, but it would have been cruel :lol: :lol: :lol: I don’t think he realised we were going down that :lol: :lol: And the look he gave suggested he thought I was taking the p*** :lol: :lol: He definitely didn’t enjoy it, that’s for sure.
DSCF1688.JPG
View out to sea coming down of Sgurr Dhonuill

DSCF1689.JPG
The "other" side of Sgurr Dhonuill as we descended

DSCF1699.JPG
Yes Stuart, that is the way down...

DSCF1701.JPG
See, it wasn't that steep....

DSCF1713.JPG
Route heading into the forest back to the road

We made it down safely though, but not before some young female whipper-snapper jogged down past us like she was out for a quick stroll to the shops :lol:

After the gully we picked up a path through the forestry and onto the land rover tracks. We turned right here and made our way to the roadside close to the old church and the short walk back to Ballachulish.
DSCF1720.JPG
Just liked this view of the burn coming down through the trees at the point we hit the forestry track back to the road

DSCF1724.JPG
A nice view of the Loch on the walk back down the forestry track

DSCF1725.JPG
A last view of the Pap and Loch Leven

All in all another great day on the hills and good to re-visit this beauty :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: From Lightning Bolt to Thunderbolt

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:59 am

Love your photo of the view back from Sgorr Dhearg. :D

I'm with Stuart on those scree descents. :( :o
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby pigeon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:21 am

Nice one pete,brings back memories of the climb up through the heather of Sgurr Ban :( Had one of our best days on these hills,very under rated for some reason,maybe because a lot of people don't use the horseshoe option.Some good pics as well,cheers :thumbup: :clap:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:13 pm

dogplodder wrote:Love your photo of the view back from Sgorr Dhearg. :D

I'm with Stuart on those scree descents. :( :o

Thanks dogplodder. A good hill this one. Stuart is still complaining about that scree :) I take all as part of the fun of the hills.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:16 pm

pigeon wrote:Nice one pete,brings back memories of the climb up through the heather of Sgurr Ban :( Had one of our best days on these hills,very under rated for some reason,maybe because a lot of people don't use the horseshoe option.Some good pics as well,cheers :thumbup: :clap:

Thanks pigeon. Couldn't have asked for better weather than this. I agree about this route too. Much preferable than the baggers route :)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:55 pm

Great stuff Pete, wish you'd got a pic of your mates face at teh top of that descent....we wouldn't have laughed :lol: Your photos throughout this one are stunning mate, absolutely love em :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby audreywaugh » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 am

I know how he felt! I didn't like the look of that scree gully either, getting onto it was the hardest part, but once on, it was fine, great walk back through the forest. Good report and photos thanks for sharing :clap:
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby JFMurray » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Nice report Pete. I did exactly the same route on exactly the same day and have almost exactly the same photos! Judging by the shadows you left a little later than me. I wasn't going to go down the scree, but a guy I met at the summit of Sgorr Dhonuill had just come up it and suggested it was nae problem, so I headed off that way.

What a cracker of a day it was! Attached another couple of pics.

IMG_3789.JPG
An alternative (really?) view of Sgorr Dearg

IMG_3790.JPG
The pointy summit of Beinn Bhan
JFMurray

Munros:101   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland