walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It's SNOW raining on Chabhair !

It's SNOW raining on Chabhair !

Postby Strider » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:10 am

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 28/11/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munro: Beinn Chabhair
Date: 28th November 2009
Weather: Clear, Calm & Cold.
Walkers: Strider, K & M
Time Taken: 7 Hours.
Route: Drovers,Beinglas Farm then track to Chabhair & back.
Summary : First taste of winter in the hills...superb, a longer walk than expected .

Its been a while since I last did a report after knocking up a few more hills during the year thought it was aboot time for a contribution. :oops:

Well after all the crap weather :x over the last month I was champing at the bit to escape Glasvegas. Checked the weather out on Thursday and it was looking good...boots cleaned Nikiwax on and bag packed ready for the weekend. Its been five weeks since my last escape so where to .. still to do Chabhair , its close ..sounds like a plan. Time to stir the troops..whos got a pass ? ..8:15 ..Drover’s Inn ...Sorted .

The cloud was sitting at around 300m on the run up the loch , water level very high after the recent deluge..starting to wonder about the forcast of some clear skies but there were some signs of a possible improvement...still as long as its dry who cares.

Parked up at the drovers, booted up and waitin for kev. Kev pulls in ..There’s snow on the Ben , is it clear ...yeh YESS, might get a feel of winter for the first time ..Then we were off.

Headed for Beinglas farm track , the field was flooded so we had to go straight through the farm to access the path . Straight oot the car and straight up the hill a wee bit of a leg burner at the start, magic to be out but the legs were feeling it after their wee holiday . The path was quite good at the start but became a bit of a running stream affair, not surprising really. The path forked and we took the higher section and were more than glad to top out onto the more level section leading to our target for the day.

The conditions were looking promising with visibility getting better. The cloud was hanging at around 150m drifting down toward the loch and we could see that there had been a wee dump of snow on the surrounding hills with some great views of Ben Lui.

This next part of the walk was very wet and a bit of a bog hop this section took much longer than I expected and felt even longer on the way back ,we followed the burn then started to head uphill with some of our first decent glimpses of a snow capped Chabhair.

On the way up ...

After a few ups and doons to get to the main ridge along with a fair bit of sliding aboot on icy paths with dropping temperatures we started to eat into the snow line.

There was a fair old covering of about 6 inches, punched through up to knee height in places, a good hard crystal crust on the surface ...first taste of idyllic winter hill conditions feels goooood.

Views from the summit ..

View toward An Castiel & Beinn A Chroin

After our pit stop for some munchies the cloud rolled over a little and the temperature dropped fairly quickly so we peeled ourself away and headed back , the walk out seemed to take forever and was very slippery dropping of the mountain due to the icy conditions.

Final one toward Ben Lui

All in all a fantastic day , couldn’t have asked for better conditions for my first time up on a hill with snow. Under estimated the distance on this one and found it a fair wee jaunt.
8)
Sore legs today :oops: but hope the conditions hang around for next weekend. :D
Strider
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Re: It's SNOW raining on Chabhair !

Postby David.Ferguson » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:55 am

Hi Strider

Good report and pics.I did the same walk a couple of weeks ago and got similar conditions,snow not as deep though.
I have to agree it is a bit of a slog in and out,i am sure there are some boggy bits where you could get waist deep if not careful.

Cheers

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:16 am

great photos and good report!

Im looking to do some of my first winter walks this Sat (weather permitting) as the footy is off. Did you need to use crampons for this at all?

Cheers!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Superb photies there Strider... certainly it looks far more impressive than in summer. :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi Strider,
Nice report with superb pictures. The 13th pic down with 5 or 6 peaks covered in snow with a slight shroud of mist is tremendous. :D
monty

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:56 pm

I was looking over that way from Ben Cleuch on Sunday and wishing I had got out my bed a bit earlier :lol: . Even in the Ochills it was bloody freezing at the top with that NE wind - a Chris Townsend approved windproof top is on Santa's list.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:25 am

I would recommend crampons and ice axe in those conditions - it does have a pretty steep ascent and descent and plenty of craglets (and even whole-size crags) about!

Great report and pics...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland