walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots

Boots

Postby Aarthorn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:15 pm

So this weekend saw myself and 2 friends out on our second weekend of hillwalking. I had got myself a new pair of Regatta and they leaked in the first hour. Needless to say there going back. So in the budget range of boots what are my choices please. I'm a well rounded chap so i'll be sticking to grade 2 and 3 walks from this website in a bid to get fitter.
Aarthorn
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Boots

Postby climbeverymarilyn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Both myself and my wife got suede Hi Tec boots from Tiso, both in their clearance/sale lines. Both are waterproof, decent grips, comfy and have lasted some decent walks and climbs. Neither were more than £40. Do try them on, I didnt with mine and they are a bot roomier than I would like. I have also heard good reports about Berghaus waterproof boots.
climbeverymarilyn
Ambler

Munros:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby neilwood » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Boots are something I would spend a reasonable amount on. Amazing the difference between walking in something that fits well than something you are "getting away" with.

I bought Scarpa boots a few years back and despite a fair bit of use and numerous winters, they are still as waterproof as the day I got them.

I would stick with the better known walking boot manufacturers (Scarpa, Salomon, Berghaus, etc) as they are designed to take a bit of punishment while still maintaining their waterproofing.
neilwood
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Aarthorn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Brasher's were recommended to me by a friend so i grabbed a pair of them in a sale online, there comfy and good fitting but of course this weekends hike will be the real test.

Many thanks for the replies :)
Aarthorn
Mountain Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Aarthorn wrote:Brasher's were recommended to me by a friend so i grabbed a pair of them in a sale online, there comfy and good fitting but of course this weekends hike will be the real test.

Many thanks for the replies :)

Had my Brashers for over 3 years and climbed over 100 munros,its only now they are letting me down.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Agreed, Brashers are the best boots I've ever had. Unfortunately they changed the design and the new model doesn't fit me. But then the old one lasted me 10 years so I got my money's worth :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Spade » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Try meindle or Scarpa's even North face 3 seasons and get some good inner supports also. You'll waste a wad of cash on cheap boots. Really buy the best you can afford. Ensure they are gore tex lined. Honest it's a no brainer, the difference with good boots is a great day out contrary to poor ones putting you right off because they soak your feet, get cold and cut them to ribbons..
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Aarthorn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Like i say i managed to get a pair of Brashers rrp £125 and i got them for £50 which as a student was a stretch but a worthwhile one i think.
Aarthorn
Mountain Walker

Postby Rudolph » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 am

Spade wrote:Try meindle or Scarpa's even North face 3 seasons and get some good inner supports also. You'll waste a wad of cash on cheap boots. Really buy the best you can afford. Ensure they are gore tex lined. Honest it's a no brainer, the difference with good boots is a great day out contrary to poor ones putting you right off because they soak your feet, get cold and cut them to ribbons..

As I understand it (and in my experience) Goretex lined boots will fail to be waterproof in a couple of years heavy use - no matter how expensive they are. Some fail earlier. That is an expensive way to buy boots. One of the most comfortable boots I've had were a pair of HiTec things I was given when a friend of my sons grew out of them! I did a lot of miles in them till they were proper worn out.

Of course dry feet are better than wet - but I've never had a day's walk ruined because of wet feet unless it's been winter. The squelching sound they make is the sound of water being pumped out!

My advice is to choose boots which are comfy and stiff enough for what you want at any price Then look for the bargains.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:24 am

Rudolph wrote:As I understand it (and in my experience) Goretex lined boots will fail to be waterproof in a couple of years heavy use - no matter how expensive they are. Some fail earlier.

You must have had a bad experience. My old Brashers were goretex lined and they were as waterproof after 10 years use as they were the day I bought them. I think I heard that it makes a difference if the outers are leather or fabric - leather tends to last a lot better (provided you look after it).
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Aarthorn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Well the Brashers are doing a fine job but i'm finding them a little on the tight side especially round the toes which is a shame as they have great ankle support but the minute i get back to the car i have to get them off so i'm considering breaking the bank again for a pair of Berghaus.
Aarthorn
Mountain Walker

Postby Gythral » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am

Try any boots you are considering on late in the afternoon & after a walk (if possible), with your walking socks.

Walk around the store for as long as it takes to be sure, up stairs, on a slope, try to push your toes into the toe box when facing down a slope, etc. If the salesperson is pushy, walk away, there's plenty of other vendors!

Once you've got them home wear them as 'slippers' indoors for a few days, as if they do turn out bad you can usually return them if they havent been worn outside.

As for low level, trail walks I find that HiTec V-LItes & Keen suit my very non-italian toes, much squarer than the toe shape of most current boots & with more toe box depth, and at the other extreme Scarpa's trail range I find they catch the seam of the fasle toe rand!

Boots are a very personal thing 1 type DOES NOT fit all & the sizes vary alot between models and manufacturers.
One manufacturer has a size range that varies from year to year from 2.5 sizes small to about right, another has a cat food marketing spread where no 2 models are the same size or shape!
CAVEAT EMPTOR
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby stevesey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 pm

I brought a pair of Meindl Burma Pros for £90 :-) last year - was in the Lakes last week - walked every day (50km and 5000m over 5 days) stayed dry despite the very wet under foot conditions. No blisters and feet felt good even at then end of the longest day.

Most expensive boots I've bought, but well worth it IMHO.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby karen1979 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Whats the best boots for hillwalking that involves scrambling over rocks and doesnt hurt the soles of your feet while doing it. Ive got a pair of walking boots just now. Dont feel safe in them as i keep slipping on slippery rocks. Anyone have suggestions on which are the best buy. Been told tht soles tht have yellow bits on the bottom are good?
karen1979
Mountaineer

Munros:4   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   

Postby lochlaggan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Meindle Burma Pros for me everytime! Climbed just under 200 munros in them over five years and only now failing. Not cheap but if looked after they are worth every penny I think!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk