walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fame at Last in Glen Trool

Fame at Last in Glen Trool

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Merrick, Shalloch on Minnoch

Donalds included on this walk: Merrick, Shalloch on Minnoch

Date walked: 02/09/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 28 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Famous at last in Glen Trool

Saturday night I drove to Glen Trool campsite arriving there for 945pm (lovely campsite £5.50 pp including car). The wardens were very welcoming considering the time :)
the merrick 2nd sept2012 001.jpg
Campsite

Drove to Glen Trool and started the walk at 930am from Bruces Stone, following the path which is well signposted and headed towards Culsharg Bothy. The bothy has a new roof, new windows and a new door but doesn’t look the best inside to put your head down. Don’t know if there are any plans for renovations inside too
the merrick 2nd sept2012 002.jpg
Starting point

We followed the path at the left of the bothy up to the track, taking a right as the path meets the track. Crossed the small bridge and left at the Merrick Hill sign through the forest.

It’s a steady steep climb through the forest and after the forest a good path leads all the way to Benyellary. The mist appeared half way up the path and the cloud level was at 550m.

From Benyellary we headed northeast, following the great path through the Nieve of Spit all the way to the Merrick. No views from Benyellary to the Merrick on the way up.

We sat at the summit of the Merrick chatting to guys from Kilmarnock. We took a bearing and as we did so the cloud lifted. We headed north down the Little Spear and onto some boggy ground where we met a guy who said he recognised me. I was wondering what was coming next (no Dooters it wasn’t from the Sun!) :D
It was Gavin99 who had recognised me from here. He was doing the 2 corbetts the opposite way. It was nice to meet you Gavin.

Headed up north towards Kirriereoach Hill and down towards the small Lochans and then northwest up to Tarfessock. We headed north, down again and then northwest up towards Shalloch on Minnoch, where we joined the Kilmarnock Ramblers for the last ascent. Theres a faint path all the way from the Merrick to the Shalloch on Minnoch.

Quick bite to eat again and decision time. What way back.. if we go low towards Loch Enoch etc.. it will be boggy... I was keen to head down towards the road and hitch a lift back to Glen Trool but mgmt! wanted to go back the way we came... he knows hes not too good at hitching a lift when out walking :D so we decided to go back the exact same way we came up. This time with great views all the way back.

Refuelled back at the Merrick and back down to the car park and a wee nosey at Bruces Stone before the 2 hour drive back to Glasgow

the merrick 2nd sept2012 004.jpg
path beside the river

the merrick 2nd sept2012 007.jpg
well signposted

the merrick 2nd sept2012 008.jpg
tea break

the merrick 2nd sept2012 009.jpg
bothy

the merrick 2nd sept2012 010.jpg
bothy

the merrick 2nd sept2012 012.jpg
left after the bridge

the merrick 2nd sept2012 013.jpg
looking back down the forest

the merrick 2nd sept2012 015.jpg
keep out

the merrick 2nd sept2012 018.jpg
low cloud at benyellary

the merrick 2nd sept2012 021.jpg
summit of the Merrick

the merrick 2nd sept2012 025.jpg
cloud lifting

the merrick 2nd sept2012 026.jpg
the merrick

the merrick 2nd sept2012 028.jpg
lochan

the merrick 2nd sept2012 029.jpg
grenade!

the merrick 2nd sept2012 030.jpg
views from tarfessock

the merrick 2nd sept2012 031.jpg
quick bite to eat for me and quick shave of his beard for michael

the merrick 2nd sept2012 033.jpg
summit of Shalloch on Minnoch

the merrick 2nd sept2012 039.jpg
back to the merrick...Sweaty Betty

the merrick 2nd sept2012 045.jpg
lovely ridge from merrick to benyellary

the merrick 2nd sept2012 049.jpg
bruces stone

the merrick 2nd sept2012 050.jpg
bruces stone

the merrick 2nd sept2012 051.jpg
back to the start.. loch trool
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Fame at Last in Glen Trool

Postby Tinto63 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Nice report and lovely hills. You are selling yourself a bit short as both Kirriereoch and Tarfessock are also Donalds and Benyellary is a New Donald if you are interested in ticking!
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby mgmt! » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:22 pm

well done mountain thmye, another report on walkhighlands. im really enjoying reading your version of the walk WE did on sunday, the humour you add to these reports makes me roar with laughter :lol: , almost like ive heard it myself somewere else :lol: :lol:

i thought id better let you drive this time, as my last car has packed up it done that many miles on our munro escapades :shock: , i should have taken a photo of you when we got back to the merrick summit, you were absolutely burst, a sure winner for the trail magazine knackered award, as for the sun pin up pics, one of us has appeared in the sun as a pinn up :wink:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi MT, nice to meet yourself and MGMT , what a fine afternoon it turned out to be . As Tinto says , don't forget to tick off your Donalds , you'll need them when you finish your Corbetts and Grahams :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 pm

RTC wrote:Very enjoyable report and photos. That's a long walk from Glen Trool to Shalloch and then back the same way. Its steep getting up and down Kirriereoch on the Tarfessock side.

Thanks RTC. I know its a very long walk and i must admit i didnt fancy going back that way :D
When we met the ramblers i was telling them to hint to mgmt! that it would be better to go down to the road so we didnt have to go back that way

Tinto63 wrote:Nice report and lovely hills. You are selling yourself a bit short as both Kirriereoch and Tarfessock are also Donalds and Benyellary is a New Donald if you are interested in ticking!

Thanks Tinto. Ill need to mark off the Donalds now. Can you tell im ticking ? :D

mgmt! wrote: i should have taken a photo of you when we got back to the merrick summit, you were absolutely burst, a sure winner for the trail magazine knackered award, as for the sun pin up pics, one of us has appeared in the sun as a pinn up :wink:

Thanks! nothing wrong with admitting you are ''absolutely burst'' it was a long day. I wish you had posted it to trail... id have won a prize :)

Gavin99 wrote:Hi MT, nice to meet yourself and MGMT , what a fine afternoon it turned out to be . As Tinto says , don't forget to tick off your Donalds , you'll need them when you finish your Corbetts and Grahams :D

Thanks Gavin.How did you get on ?
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Thanks Gavin.How did you get on ?

OK , but I like the sound of that nice path back down to Glen Trool , my route was pretty rough going with tussocks and bog , I was pretty glad to hit the forest road . I think it's a bit of a slog whichever way you go at these but lovely walking along the tops .
Cheers , :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 am

You do get around a bit MT - haven't been down this way for years but looks a very nice area for a wander - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:15 am

Finding this Corbett bagging tough going MT? Another one of your classic reports, so many things made me laugh. I liked all the "we" desicions that were made and good to see all the waymarked posts to keep you on the right track even though you had guide no.1 with you :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby monty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 am

Nice report MT. Even though you were burst :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like a nice trail. Were you picking magic mushrooms on the way :lol: Thats some size of beard Mgmt shaved off. :shock: He could have made him self a good toupe with that lot. You taking your own smoke with you to make your own clag :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
monty

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm

That's a fair old wander MT, think I'd have gone for the hitchhike back :wink: judging by that 'beard' I assume Michael doubles as santa in his spare time :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mgmt! » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:51 pm

ChrisW wrote:That's a fair old wander MT, think I'd have gone for the hitchhike back :wink: judging by that 'beard' I assume Michael doubles as santa in his spare time :lol:

no chrisw, it was just the amount of time i spent waiting for mt to reach the top :crazy:

mgmt! wrote: i should have taken a photo of you when we got back to the merrick summit, you were absolutely burst, a sure winner for the trail magazine knackered award, as for the sun pin up pics, one of us has appeared in the sun as a pinn up :wink:

Thanks! nothing wrong with admitting you are ''absolutely burst'' it was a long day. I wish you had posted it to trail... id have won a prize :)

thats just it mt, i do all the work while you get all the rewards,typical :shock:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Gavin99 wrote:
mountain thyme wrote:Thanks Gavin.How did you get on ?

OK , but I like the sound of that nice path back down to Glen Trool , my route was pretty rough going with tussocks and bog , I was pretty glad to hit the forest road . I think it's a bit of a slog whichever way you go at these but lovely walking along the tops .
Cheers , :D

It was a lovely walk once the cloud lifted :D

rockhopper wrote:You do get around a bit MT - haven't been down this way for years but looks a very nice area for a wander - cheers :)

I try and get out most weekends rockhopper...its a lovely area. i was well impressed and looking forward to going back :)

Johnny Corbett wrote:Finding this Corbett bagging tough going MT? Another one of your classic reports, so many things made me laugh. I liked all the "we" desicions that were made and good to see all the waymarked posts to keep you on the right track even though you had guide no.1 with you :lol:

Hey johnny you could possibly do these two without me...i thought it would be a good route for you to do solo with all the signposts .... :wink:

monty wrote:Nice report MT. Even though you were burst :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like a nice trail. Were you picking magic mushrooms on the way :lol: Thats some size of beard Mgmt shaved off. :shock: He could have made him self a good toupe with that lot. You taking your own smoke with you to make your own clag :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Cheers Monty i WAS burst :D ...i think mgmt! did keep it for a toupe... 50 shades of white ..... there seems to be clag following me for the last 3 weekends :(

ChrisW wrote:That's a fair old wander MT, think I'd have gone for the hitchhike back :wink: judging by that 'beard' I assume Michael doubles as santa in his spare time :lol:

Thanks Chris... i must admit i was keen for the hitchhike back... i was dreading the walk back...when you get to the summit of your last hill you think its all downhill from then on.. i wasnt looking forward to 4 more ascents ... mgmt is a sadist :D

mgmt! wrote: thats just it mt, i do all the work while you get all the rewards,typical :shock:

All the work?!? Driving, pitching tents...planning,navigating, driving back after a 9 hour walk whilst someone sat with some beer..... Zzzzzzzzzzzz wakey wakey :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby dooterbang » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Recognition at last...and just what you always wanted, well recognition on the hills...makes a change from holding up the bar at your favourite drinking hole, a la Fra....oh i promised not to mention that!

Thanks for sorting me out earlier :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:23 pm

dooterbang wrote: Thanks for sorting me out earlier :wink:

no worries ..the Bill is in the post :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby dooterbang » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 pm

mountain thyme wrote:
dooterbang wrote: Thanks for sorting me out earlier :wink:

no worries ..the Bill is in the post :D
Erm, you should be paying me :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland