walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Anoch Eagach Conqurerd

Anoch Eagach Conqurerd

Postby stomper » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 05/09/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well thats me back dooon safetly from the BIG AE :D :D :D and what a day .NO words can describe it but BRILLIANT thanks to the guide i had (Mike ABACUS MOUNTAIN GUIDES). Picked me up from the hostel in FW at 8:am and stated to me that high winds were forcast in late afternoon so we need to be off by 4:pm. Started walking by 08:45 and he said to me 2hrs to Am Bodach (took 1hr30mins) Once there that's when the fun started :shock: :shock: a quite a steep drop to get onto the ridge which leeds to the first munro of the day as you know Meall Dearg. Once i satrted desending the butterflies started to flutter away and i grew in confidence that everything was going to be ok. Once down onto the ridge i thought mmmmmm that wasn't bad at all and no sooner we were on top of Meall Dearg :clap: :clap: .Until we reached the munro the whole of the ridge was just covererd in the usual CLAG :( :( :( .After Meall Dearg things got a bit hairy scrambling wise but the hand holds were GREAT and where to put your feet was very easy. Weather started to pick up (not wind wise) and soon the CLAG started to lift on one side of the ridge (Glen Coe Side) We evern saw a broken spectra down the levern side.
Then it was the crazy pinicles (i always thought you had to go straight over them but mike took me just to the right and upwards so just missing the very top. 30 mins Aprox all the technical stuff was finished and all we needed to do was to climb our way to the second munro of the day again as you know Sgorr nam fiannaidh. Once on top of the second munro i was so chuffed that i decided NOT to do the COWARDS WAY. Looking back to the ridge again the GLEN COE side was clear but the Levern side was still covererd in Clag.from the summit we turned directl left and heading for the Clachaig road where it meets the A82 AND what a job that was :shock: :shock: :shock: You were literally surfing the stones (Great fun but bloody hard on your legs) i have a fealing that the desent from top to bottom must be in the top 10 as having the longest continious drop. Eventually back down on the road Mike told me to go to the Clachaig and sit there while he tries to hitch back to his van (oh yes sorry but i had gone up by train) within 30 mins he was back to pick me up and took me to FW. Anyway folks from a very happy chappy Would i do it again well that is a definate wait for it YES YES YES would i do it again with a guide mmmmmm I would like to think that i could cope without a guide but only when the weather is good Possibly next summer. Anyway here are some photo's i took
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Photo's of the BIG AE

Postby stomper » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 pm

230.JPG
232.JPG
233.JPG
234.JPG
235.JPG
236.JPG
236.JPG
238.JPG
240.JPG
249.JPG
247.JPG
250.JPG
253.JPG
250.JPG
256.JPG
264.JPG
266.JPG
260.JPG
268.JPG
256.JPG
stomper
Munro compleatist

Re: Photo's of the BIG AE

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Braw.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby RicKamila » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Stunning!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Gythral » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:03 pm

:thumbup:

Really atmospheric...
Nice to see some contrast on the rigde, I'm more used to seeing grey over whitish-grey there :lol:
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Fantastic stuff :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: Anoch Eagach Conqurerd

Postby Gythral » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Gratz, glad you enjoyed it! :clap:
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Well done mate, nemesis conquered :D . Got this done a couple weeks ago and loved it.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Stompers Sister » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Well done Pick. So glad you had such a fantastic time. Congrats!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :) 8) :D
Stompers Sister
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Oooh well done :D :clap:
I still havent got round to it.. So many hills, so few weekends :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby ExpatEddie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 pm

I did AE 45 years ago as a youngster and these were my 2nd and 3rd Munros. Each time I drive through the glen now I look up and think "I did that" and feel pleased. You did well and congratulations. It was an experience and you will never forget it - even if you go back. The first time is always the best. You have fantastic photographs to reinforce those memories.

Well done Stomper. See you have ticked them off already. Good luck on Ghabhar.
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 am

Glad you conquered this and overcame your fear of it. Even more so that you enjoyed it so much that you'll do it again, without a guide, this can only help others who in awe of this ridge to just get out there and do it. All the best for your final one and hope you get a fine day for it. :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby stomper » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks guys I must admit i was extremely scepticle in actually doing the ridge and was always thinking abooot doing the munro's seperately so missing out the ridge. i think the fear factor is is that it gets a bad reputation. The ridge i found was it looks worse them it actually is. I don't want to sound clever but it's defenitaly one i will do again like i said earlier on and hopefully on my own. Regarding the first time is the best i whole heartly agree as you don't know what to expect and whats coming to you so you don't have the fear factor as much
stomper
Munro compleatist

Postby pigeon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Well done stomper,you done the right thing getting a guide .Good luck on you're last Munro :clap:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Well done Stomper. You must be apprehensive approaching your compleation munro? A realatively easy one to get to Stob Ghabhar. Superb. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland