walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Martindale Circuit: Place Fell to Loadpot Hill

Martindale Circuit: Place Fell to Loadpot Hill

Postby poppiesrara » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Angletarn Pikes, High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), Kidsty Pike, Loadpot Hill, Place Fell, Rampsgill Head, Rest Dodd, The Knott, Wether Hill

Hewitts included on this walk: High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), Loadpot Hill, Place Fell, Rampsgill Head, Rest Dodd

Date walked: 26/08/2012

Time taken: 5.75

Distance: 21.75 km

Ascent: 1450m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A testing long, and pretty damp, loop of the Far Eastern Fells…

Martindale.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Much the best part of this route comes early – from the remote hamlet of Martindale (two churches, not an awful lot else!) the unfrequented northern approach to Place Fell is up a lovely zigzagging grass path above Boredale. Much of the summit ridge – and the hoped-for vistas of Ullswater – was lost in mist, but it’s still an interesting rocky approach across crags and up to the naked point of the summit. You skirt by High Dodd, too late, with a little bit of regret – I’m sure I won’t be the first or last to ponder on what made little nothing-bumps elsewhere ‘Wainwrights’ but leaves distinct peaks like this one pretty much unvisited…
Martindale 002.jpg
Leaving Martindale, Steel Knotts behind

Martindale 009.jpg
Boredale

Martindale 013.jpg
North over Hallin Fell

Martindale 015.jpg
Ascent path over Hart Crag

Martindale 019.jpg
Martindale below the clouds from Place Fell summit

The weekend crowds gathered on the very well-made path down to Boredale Hause and rising again towards Angle Tarn, views starting to open up to the several Dodds and Waters south, and the half-scrambles up to the twin Angletarn Pikes and down to the striking tarn itself are an interesting little challenge.
Martindale 022.jpg
Descending on the good path to Boredale Hause

Martindale 023.jpg
Glenridding and the tip of Ullswater

Martindale 030.jpg
Brothers Water, framed by Hartsop, Middle, & High Hartsop Dodds

Martindale 037.jpg
Angle Tarn...

Martindale 043.jpg
...and from the far side, the south Pike behind

But this was very much one of those ‘walks of two halves’… Leaving the handsome bowl of Angle Tarn, the rain started to fall and rarely relented for long over the next three or four hours; skies closing in, underfoot conditions worsening, much of the rest of the day starting from the slog over Rest Dodd and steeply, marshily back up to the Knott turned into a dull, routemarch trudge. It’s usually easy to find plenty to enjoy in any walk, and in several previous visits to the Lakes there had been little but that…, but today, legs hurting and conditions not of August, it was getting harder to do so. Even Kidsty Pike, such a feature from other angles and with a fabulous clifftop situation, doesn’t have such a charm approached from this flat moorland side and with barely a view into Mardale.
Martindale 054.jpg
Rest Dodd and The Nab, from the ascent of The Knott

Martindale 059.jpg
Riggindale from Kidsty Pike

Without views much beyond next-door Rest Dodd, it seemed a long 3-mile slog north along the very broad High Street ridge to Loadpot Hill, among those high moors that are flat enough to ‘hold water for a long time’ (one of the very many fellwalking euphemisms there for: ‘it’s a marsh’…). It’s always hard to feel like giving up, and there wasn’t really much of an easy way out from here anyway, but after a lot of boghopping and by the time of the descent (strike out following the compass N then NW from the summit to locate a pretty good but steep grass path down into Fusedale), I’d probably had enough. Several other peaks were within short striking distance, but by now even the little rise back up into Martindale – doubtless a lovely track on other occasions with its views to Ullswater and Hallin Fell – was plenty. Aging legs?, or just a bad day?, but this shouldn’t really have been such a test. I’ll perhaps love it another time...
Martindale 064.jpg
Rest Dodd, and higher fells somewhere in those clouds...

Martindale 075.jpg
Round lumps on a big ridge: Loadpot & Wether Hills

Martindale 078.jpg
Loadpot Hill trig

Martindale 079.jpg
Hallin Fell & Ullswater from the descent

Martindale 083.jpg
Steel Knotts & Place Fell beyond Fusedale

Martindale 085.jpg
The north of Ullswater
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Martindale Circuit: Place Fell to Loadpot Hill

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Enjoyed the report at pics Poppie even if you didn't enjoy the second half of the walk :wink: Still beats sitting in the house.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Shame about the weather and everything is so very boggy when it shouldn't be like that at this time of year :?
I hope you'll go back one day in better conditions and get more satisfaction :)
I enjoyed reading your report and some photos with great views :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:03 am

Great report P, real pain in the butt about the weather though. At first it looked 'atmospheric' but then it clearly got much worse. That's a fair old stint in those conditions and looks a nice hike overall, you even managed to get some great shots of it in spite of the weather :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:31 am

Great report P although sounded like a bit of a slog in not so wonderful weather - well done...I think I would have given up and gone to the pub!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks, everyone.

I feel a little bit churlish now for doing all that moaning... - of course it's still better than a day sitting at home, or in the office (perhaps not the pub!). Better things to come, but it wasn't that bad really...!
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 pm

I did love the Loadpot Hill ridge, but then I had glorious weather - and I like walking on the flat, so it's nice to do it high up where the views are good! Shame it was so miserable for you.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby malky_c » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Hmm, squelch!

Was looking at precisely this route for a future walk, but it may not happen for some time. Cheers :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland