walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Double trouble and a miracle

Double trouble and a miracle

Postby coachmacca » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 03/09/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 968m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast checked and decided that Sunday was the day to get back out and try to bag another Munro or two, having considered what I thought my knee might be up to, and ideas from friends, Ben Lawers via Beinn Ghlas was the decision and how glad am I it was!

Arrived at the car park, paid the (voluntary) £2 donation to park and was about to start off towards the lovely nature trail until my wife spotted our first wild beast! (Any Lepidopterist's out there know its name?)
DSCF1345.JPG
The beast of Ben Lawers

Anyway - sun was shy but rain was off somewhere else so we hiked on in earnest glad to be back out in the wild and away from work and the city. After the initail graduall hike in through the nature reserve we began the fairly indistict inital ascent (apart from the views!) . Beinn Ghlas becomes fairly steep faily early on but the path is fine (well preserved!) and we were soon on our way and meeting some folk on the way down (and up ) - reminded me again that I truly believe you meet the nicest, most polite, good natured people (and dogs) on hills! . :D :D

We ascended a little slowly to be honest, still getting hill fit, but made not bad time to the craggy final ascent of Ghlas - just in time to almost be blown over the edge by a 30mph gust.. this was the start of things to come :)

DSCF1358.JPG
My intrepid and patient wife Sam

Still no sun but the wind was keeping us nicely "air conditioned".
DSCF1355.JPG
Looking East to Loch Tay on ascent

We then realized why this Munro is so popular the view down to Loch Tay and across the ridge to Lawers is truly spectacular .. after a quick look we set off down towards the ridge that looked narrow at a distance but soon became a wide motorway of a path. As we stepped onto it tyhe sun broke out in all its glory and we couldn't help but cheer and grin like idiots, camera out for the usual snaps :) A lovely passing Canadian on her todd offered to take one of both of us - a rarity!
DSCF1381.JPG
On the ridge looking west to Meall Nam Maigheach

DSCF1382.JPG
Sam and I in our element

DSCF1383.JPG
Sam sets off to bag Ben Lawers

We reached the base of the next top (Ben Lawers ) where the lower path meets the ridge path and after shooting the breeze (gale) with some folks we headed upwards.

If im honest the going was becoming tough - we're pretty fit but the legs were not enjoying it to as we reached the flat area below the summit we eagerly broke out the sarnies (my wife makes a mean hearty sarnie) and rested our legs for a bit . :clap:

Onwards from here and up the steep craggy final ascent, last couple of hundred feet were tough .. legs were heavy but the final push was done as a skip - mountain goat style as I got my second wind! (see what I did there) :roll:
DSCF1402.JPG
Cairn at the summit looking NE

Summitted into a what felt like a 50mph wind that almost pushed me up and over the top but we got our pics (at 45 degree angle) , took in the astounding views .. considered headed on to An Stuc but decided as planned to come back down and follow the low path back to the car.
DSCF1401.JPG
Beinn Ghlas had now lost its top to cloud!

As I have been suffering a VERY painful IT band issue in my knee this was the moment of truth , usually as soon as I have gone 5 step on descent it kicks in like a knife but..5,10,50... 1000 and nothing!! WOOHOO! im cured :shock:

The physio and exercises paid off! :clap: And I can realize my new passion sfor hills..a great relief I tell you!
Great day , great pictures and no pain - Happy Hillwalker! :D :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Double trouble and a miracle

Postby Fudgie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:01 am

Now that you've came through it pain free you'll be planning your next one :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby coachmacca » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:33 am

Fudgie - of course! Got 5 routes sitting ready to go, thinking Ben Ime via Narnain, Ben A'An, Cobbler , Aonach Mor or Vorlich next :0 got Mt Teide in Tenerife in late October...

Just relieved that its sorted!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby monty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 am

Nice report. Good to hear your knee is much better. Just dont push it too hard. :D
monty

Postby Fudgie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:22 am

coachmacca wrote:Fudgie - of course! Got 5 routes sitting ready to go, thinking Ben Ime via Narnain, Ben A'An, Cobbler , Aonach Mor or Vorlich next :0 got Mt Teide in Tenerife in late October...

Just relieved that its sorted!

If it's the Ben Vorlich at Loch Lomond then I would hold off for now as it has a very steep ascent/descent and it might not be the best for your knee. The Ben Vorlich at Lochearnhead has a much steadier climb and wouldn't put as much strain on it.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:37 pm

You got a good day for it and it's great your knee is so much better. :clap:

I find using poles on the descent makes a huge difference. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby coachmacca » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Fudgie was thinking Lomondside - steepness bizarrely isnt the issue its been the going from pretty much zero "step" to thousands up Munro's (and Nevis) in the space of 4 weeks haha!

Tight IT band gives me pain at my knee but actually it starts at my butt and runs down my quad.. physio was not fun but keeping it up has been the key :)

Poles are a constant companion Dogplodder (I love a scramble and they get stowed for that but coming down (and up) they can make a real difference to the load on my legs overall so never giving them up ;-)
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland