walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Our very first Munro But will not be the last !

Our very first Munro But will not be the last !

Postby pdmclardy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 02/09/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 974m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was our first adventure to climb a Munro ! I have been thinking about climbing some Munro's for a while now but never quite got round to it ! So after a road trip up through Glencoe where we stopped at the Awsome Buachaille etive mor the urge to get out there and climb some munro's returned :D
So I planned to start with Ben Lomond to see how i got on and soon 1 became 3 as my brother and his partner decided they were going to join me ( My brother had climed Ben Lomond twice before ) So as i planned things and bought a few essentials my son became interested in what we were doing and soon 3 became 4 :clap:
So had to buy a few things to get him started but i have been trying to get him interested in something like this for a while so i was not going to miss the moment :wink:
We all planned to meet in the carpark at rowardennan at 9am on sunday 02/09/2012 and all set off shortly after !
Ben Lomond 012.JPG
Ben Lomond with the top shrouded in mist

So off to a steady start with the weather fine and still and not to many midges about :clap:
Soon we cleared the tree's and the views were already looking good
Ben Lomond 004.JPG
A view looking north over Loch Lomond

so onwards and upwards and soon we were up in the mist
Ben Lomond 002.JPG
Last decent scenic photo on the way up ! looking south over Loch Lomond

My brother was still recovering from a shoulder injury so was being a little cautious so we all agreed to meet at the summit ! So my son ( Peter ) and i marched on up through the mist and light rain and soon we were at the summit whooo hoooo ! :clap:
We met another couple up there who took this next photo (Thankyou to them )
Ben Lomond 026.JPG
Peter And I ( Peter senior ) at the summit

We had a nice warm coffee and a quick bite and soon my brother and his partner appeared through the mist and then there were four again :clap:
Ben Lomond 031.JPG
Picture of all four of us at the summit using a self timer

We spent around 30 mins at the summit hoping the mist might clear for some nice photo's but i'm afraid it was not going too so off we went back down ! 10 mins after the start of our descent we passed a young chap Running up the steep part GEEZ :crazy:
I was a little shocked at just how many there were on the way up although some did not go all the way and soon passed us on the way down
Ben Lomond 010.JPG
some of the crowd that were still on the way up

soon we were back in the carpark and very happy with our venture ! It really made my day when my son told me just how much he had enjoyed it :clap: So much so we are planning our next adventure , If weather is kind to us we are looking at Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime This weekend 09/09/12 :crazy:
Praying for some good weather so we can get some good photo's
loving the excercise and senic beauty of Scotland :clap: :clap: :clap:
pdmclardy

Munros:8   

Re: Our very first Munro But will not be the last !

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:38 am

Och aye, a busy hill.. Didn't look like it spoiled your day though :D
Weather looks good for this weekend at the moment.. Keeping all digits crossed :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Great to see you enjoyed your day and hope to see many others - watch out this bagging is addictive - but good for you!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby pdmclardy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks basscadet and yes the weather is looking good for the weekend :clap:

Thanks mrssanta, i think it is addictive as i was up Kaim hill just 5 mins to the south of us yesterday to try out a new pair of boots ( it is about 385m ) a good test for for the boots before the weekend and glad to say they were fine ....Bring on the weekend :wink:

Pete
pdmclardy

Munros:8   

Postby hills » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Well done to you, and so the addiction begins. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby RicKamila » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Well done :clap: We had to abandon our first Munro attempt, but hope to rectify this in 4 weeks.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland