walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A win for Beinn Dearg Mor against the mighty An Teallach!

A win for Beinn Dearg Mor against the mighty An Teallach!

Postby Delice » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:25 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg Mòr

Date walked: 19/08/2012

Distance: 9.14 km

Ascent: 901m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Difficult choice - An Teallach...or Beinn Dearg Mor? That was the great debate between myself and Mr T, the morning after our Fisherfield expedition. 'I honestly thought you'd win', said Edinburgh Dad to Mr T. [He obviously doesn't know me!] :roll: Not that it was an easy choice - I've been getting ready to climb An Teallach for the last 3 years, and this weekend was going to be THE ONE. But then we did the Fisherfield 6, on almost no sleep the night before. And I had seen Beinn Dearg Mor... what an impressive mountain! It may fall short of a munro, but only just. And have you seen its rocky butresses, its corries, its ridges? Okay An Teallach has all that and more, but you can do AT from the road - in fact that's how I've always planned it - with a willing hubbie as driver [he doesn't climb mountains - his loss!]. Also, would there be another chance to come back for Beinn Dearg Mor if we didn't do it now? It was beckoning us in the early morning sunlight, and off we went.
fisherfield16.JPG
Classic combination - Shenavall seen against Beinn Dearg Mor - you gotta climb it!
P1000742.JPG
Somewhere down that Lazy River....hard to believe it's ever impassable!
P1000743.JPG
River crossing; bog crossing - both straightforward after the dry Summer in these parts. We came across plenty of evidence of the original forest along the way.. A nice ornament for the garden?... Have you tried lifting one of them?!
P1000747.JPG
nice tree stump. Just a bit too heavy for the rucksack
The idea was to strike up the hillside - not to the main corrie facing us, but to the hanging corrie round the backside - Coir' an Talaimh-tholl. We had seen it from Beinn a' Chlaidheimh the day before, and it looked a fine approach. So we made a high level traverse below the crags on the Beinn's eastern flank. A nice route, between boulders and grassy terraces - some great views across to the Fisherfield 6 and of course back to An Teallach.
P1000751.JPG
How did that Rowan find it's way up here? A lovely spot to contemplate the joy of being alive in this amazing place!
Mr T always keen to press on [I keep manufacturing reasons to stop.] Not long before we found ourselves on the lip of the corrie and that's where the lovely gritty crags began. We followed them up, northwest onto the main ridge, deviating here and there for a bit of scrambling fun. There was a very strange feature to our left - some sort of fault line that made the mountain look as though it was sliding away. It had created a gorge that was stuffed with greenery - some sort of lost world? [Note to explore it next time].
P1000756.JPG
The lost world of Beinn Dearg Mor?
fisherfield19.JPG
Nice rocks! - I thought I was on the Dark Peak for a minute!
P1000758.JPG
fisherfield22.JPG
She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes...etc

The view was so stunning when we got to the lip of the main corrie - even Mr T had to stop to admire it! Had a really good look at An Teallach and the best bits of the ridge. You could practically walk it all in your head just looking at it! Then there is Beinn Dearg Mor itself - what a mountain!
P1000760.JPG
looking across the main corrie of Beinn Dearg Mor. The summit cairn just tucked over the top of the peak
P1000763.JPG
An Teallach - a hairy route for another day
P1000764.JPG
More of An Teallach's delights
The curving ridge drew us round to the top - a little grassy knoll between sheer craggy drops. Really exciting and combined with the views it was heady stuff. Of course you have to have your photo taken in the most dramatic spots - just don't look down!
P1000766.JPG
P1000769.JPG
On top of the world! Who wouldn't be?
From here it would have been great to have gone on - Beinn Dearg Bheag next is the obvious thing. But we had to get back to walk out from Shenavall and then travel south, so regretfully we had to go down. From the far side of the corrie we had spotted 'a small path' threading itself along the side of the northern ridge, and dropping into Coire nan Clach. That would do for us! Following a couple of stags we skirted round the summit crags on the grass, scree and boulders above Coire Toll an Lochain until we could rejoin the ridge lower down.
fisherfield25.JPG
The N ridge off Beinn Dearg Mor - our route down strikes off just right of the notch
fisherfield28.JPG
Loch Toll an Lochain and Loch Sealga
P1000770.JPG
Exciting ridge walking off Beinn Dearg Mor
fisherfield29.JPG
looking back up the ridge to the crags and gullies below the summit. Our path went off to the left
A bracing little section of ridge walking until we hit a small notch where our 'path' shot off - pretty much into thin air! Mr T claims it was made by deer [funny images in my head of 4-legged work parties when no humans were looking], but I reckon it was done by someone like us. Anyway, whoever did it, they obviously got bored, because we lost it pretty quickly even though we had both seen a definite line here on our way up. Heading straight down is always another option, and that's the one we took. It was steep but quick! Just a mixture of tussocky grass [botanists excuse that inaccurate description!] scree and a few small rocky outcrops. Impressive rocky towers crags and gullies rising around us as we dropped down to the floor of the corrie and met a tumbling burn. Then, lower down there was a beautiful 'Japanese' rock garden. You feel so lucky to stumble across these wonderful creations of nature - who needs a garden designer?
fisherfield30.JPG
waterfall leaving the Coire nan Clach
P1000777.JPG
P1000778.JPG
Why can't they eat some more midges?
Not far to the first river crossing. Someone has left lots of bits of wood lying about - it looks as though a kind of board walk on the track has collapsed
fisherfield32.JPG
This bit of wood will make a good bridge - who needs to get wet feet?
. I'm fed up of getting wet feet, and being trained in the art of construction I reckon I could make a good bridge from these timbers. Mr T has already crossed and is secretly smirking as I place a plank carefully in the river. The mountain air has obviously made me light-headed and pretty dim. The plank lands far short of the nearest stepping stone. It bobs away downstream and I wade across. Say nothing!
Back at Shenavall Bothy, we load up our packs and head back to the car at Corrie Hallie, nodding respectfully to An Teallach as we pass. Really glad that we chose to climb Beinn Dearg Mor today - it was a cracker. But An Teallach remains at number one on the Most Wanted list!
P1000779.JPG
An Teallach - still there for another day!
P1000780.JPG
Spot the location competition? The best bit of the expedition - remembering the best bits and planning the next one!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

fisherfield25.JPG
Delice
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Re: A win for Beinn Dearg Mor against the mighty An Teallach

Postby mrssanta » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 pm

That was fantastic and it looks like a wonderful day
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Stretch » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:31 pm

A win for everyone with this report! Very nice! :clap:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Thats a fine TR for a fine mountain,hope you dont mind if I add my own pic to your TR.
040.JPG
Beinn Dearg Mor
041.JPG
Beinn Dearg Mor
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Great report. Like Gammy spent along time looking at it from the bothy :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Great report Delice :D And excellent pictures too :D Looking at your pictures of An Teallach and it was hard to believe that I was on that beast earlier in the year :shock: I know you'll enjoy that one when you do it. I got some great views of BDM when I was on AT :D It looked like a great hill to do and your report has certainly proven that :D I hope I get a chance to climb it myself when I get myself into the Fisherfield
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby hardyman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Superb report and photos. Great photos and an great story telling style. This guy Mr T clearly needs to be more persuasive next time; An Tellach looks incredible :wink:
hardyman
Munro compleatist

Postby robertphillips » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:29 pm

well done bdm is a great corbett 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Brilliant stuff! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland