walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rocky Road & Raspberry Ripple - my wee girl's first Corbett

Rocky Road & Raspberry Ripple - my wee girl's first Corbett

Postby Graeme D » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Route description: Meall nan Subh, Glen Lochay

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall nan Subh

Date walked: 08/09/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4.4 km

Ascent: 479m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Incredible to believe, but my wee girl turns 18 months old on Wednesday. :shock: With Mrs D being away on a girlie weekend up to Grantown, I took the opportunity and profited from the reasonable weather to take Ailsa up her first Corbett. She loves berries, raspberries being one of her particular favourites, so Meall nan Subh looked like a good choice. Some sources suggest that the name means Hill of the Raspberries, others give it the less specific meaning of Hill of the Berries. Either way, it seemed relevant and suited our requirements, being only a couple of hours at most up and down.

We went up through Crieff and Lochearnhead, turning off at Lix Toll into Killin before taking the miniscule road up into Glen Lochay. Last time I had been along this road was in November 2010 when I did Beinn nan Imirean and Meall Glas. That day we had parked in the big new parking area just before the farmhouse at Kenknock. For this one, I had looked at a few reports from this and another site and established that it was indeed possible to drive up the minor road connecting Glen Lochay with Glen Lyon. Reports suggested that it was quite rough and potholed but I'd read of people doing it in Ford Fiestas and the likes, so I thought it should be OK.

I drove past Kenknock to the start of the aforementioned road opposite the bridge but just as I was about to turn up, I saw that there was a gate about 50 yards or so up the road. I had read that there was a gate (sometimes locked) at the high point of the road next to the Lochan Learg nan Lunn, but didn't realise that there were other gates as well. My initial reaction was that it was locked and that there was no way I was parking here and hoofing it up the road with an 18 month old toddler strapped to my back, but when I drove up to it, I could see that it wasn't padlocked. :D

After that, the road was pretty potholed but not as bad as some reports would have you believe. A second gate was reached after all the hairpins and after this the surface improved considerably.

We parked up in the large grassy area just beyond the high point on the road in line with the lochan and had a quick scooby snack before heading off up the steep, knobbly looking hillside. Everything I'd seen, read and heard about Meall nan Subh confirmed that it was a knobbly little character and this is indeed the case.

We took a slightly circuitous route up to avoid some of the steepest sections of crags and knolls but all in all it was highly uneventful. From the summit we daundered over to the stone pillar cairn and then across to the broken down trig point before dropping back down to the fence which we followed back down to the car.

Here are some photos which do a finer job of telling the story of the day....... 8)

IMG_0679.JPG
Joy unrestrained at the thought of her first Corbett!

IMG_0680.JPG
The way up!

IMG_0682.JPG
Eh, we're going where daddy????

IMG_0686.JPG
Heasgairnich popping her head up

IMG_0687.JPG
Baa baa sheep!

IMG_0689.JPG
Sgiath Chuil and Beinn Cheathaich across Glen Lochay

IMG_0694.JPG
Pit stop on ascent

IMG_0697.JPG
First sighting of Loch Lyon

IMG_0698.JPG
Ahead to the summit

IMG_0700.JPG
Meall Ghaordaidh

IMG_0701.JPG
Pretty typical terrain up here

IMG_0703.JPG
Stronuich Reservoir down Glen Lyon

IMG_0707.JPG
Ailsa at the summit getting to grips with the basics of navigation!

IMG_0709.JPG
Me an' ma gal!

IMG_0714.JPG
Over at the stone pillar cairn to the east - cloud spilling into Glen Lyon

IMG_0715.JPG
Looking back west to the summit

IMG_0717.JPG
Can we go back home now daddy?

IMG_0720.JPG
Broken trig

IMG_0721.JPG
Cloud masking Heasgairnich

IMG_0722.JPG
Descent to the car next to the Lochan Learg nan Lunn below the crags of Creag nam Bodach

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Rocky Road & Raspberry Ripple - my wee girl's first Corb

Postby Alan S » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Excellent well done,that must have been hard work.......... must have been tough for you also Graeme :lol:
Cracking pics,Good on you for gettin the wee yin out :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:57 pm

Graeme D wrote:With Mrs D being away on a girlie weekend up to Grantown

That makes sense - I'm sure I read something about a Chippendales convention in Grantown :wink: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:10 am

Incredible to believe, but my wee girl turns 18 months old on Wednesday.

I know exactly how you feel mate, my grandson was born just two months before Ailsa now he talks to me on facetime :shock:

Love the report and the photos of what looks like a little cracker of a hike. The photo taken over your shoulder toward the end there is brilliant, great stuff :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:10 am

Ooooh nice one Mr D, food in the title and a diva in the report- can't go wrong there!!!!

Lovely photos Graeme, hope Mrs D approved :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jonny616 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:56 am

Lovely. White & pink good colours for a muddy hill walk :lol: :lol:

brings back memories too, we walked down that road after i fell in the bog!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:05 pm

:lol: Was it rapsberry ripple or was Ailsa actually blowing you a raspebrry in "Can we go back home now daddy?" ? :wink: Nice one Graeme and great to see she's enjoying it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:40 pm

jonny616 wrote:Lovely. White & pink good colours for a muddy hill walk :lol: :lol:

brings back memories too, we walked down that road after i fell in the bog!

Loch Lyon,ave seen that before jonny616.

Graeme,brilliant seeing Ailsa up her first Corbett,good to see she has taken her looks from Mrs D also.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Brilliant Graeme. What is frightening is that her expressions come right out of the Dewar handbook! I am sure she'll show you how to navigate in the future.... :roll:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Excellent stuff, Graeme. It's good to introduce young ones to the mountains. It's nice to see her taking interest in the map!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Well done to both of you..Nice one.. Will keep this one in mind for a short wee walk
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 am

Glad to see you all enjoyed that one! I'll have to sit down with Ailsa now and have a serious discussion about what her first Munro is to be! That one will probably have to wait until next summer now though.

I knew that I spent a fair bit of time during the walk wiping the snot from her nose but I didn't realise until the other day when I went to put my top in the wash that there was a massive snot stain on the back between the shoulders! Nice! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am

Graeme D wrote:I knew that I spent a fair bit of time during the walk wiping the snot from her nose but I didn't realise until the other day when I went to put my top in the wash that there was a massive snot stain on the back between the shoulders! Nice! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you only got a snot stain reckon you got off lightly! :lol: Well done on climbing that with wee girl on back - plus Pampers and all the rest!! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:48 am

dogplodder wrote:If you only got a snot stain reckon you got off lightly! Well done on climbing that with wee girl on back - plus Pampers and all the rest!!

This is very true! Being puked on (or worse) up a hill would not be amusing. I've had to perform a nappy change at the top of a hill before (Torlum) but glad to say that all spare nappies that went up this hill came back down unused and the change wasn't required until we were back home. :D
Graeme D

Postby monty » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Excellent G. A lovely report. Before you know it you will be a grandad :lol:
monty

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland