walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Mounth from Glen Callater

White Mounth from Glen Callater

Postby howzat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr

Date walked: 08/09/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the sister in law & her hubby off camping somewhere up in the far NW, the wife and I were on pet sitting duties at their home in Blairgowrie. With a decent forecast for the Saturday (it turned out far better!) I decided to tackle two of the White Mounth Munros from Glen Callater. Kindly Gill dropped me off at the car park on the A93 and I set off at 08.50 in glorious morning sunshine.
IMG_5577.JPG
Goodbye to the Mrs
IMG_5581.JPG
Start of the estate road up Glen Callater
The 5km walk along the excellent track was wonderful, and I reached Lochcallater Lodge in around 55 minutes.
IMG_5585.JPG
The Callater Burn
IMG_5586.JPG
Bridge over the Callater Burn
IMG_5589.JPG
Estate road in glorious morning sunshine
I took the path that strikes uphill just before the gates of the lodge and was soon presented with fine views of Loch Callater, the path then traversing the hillside along the length of the loch.
IMG_5591.JPG
Path strikes upwards just before Lochallater Lodge entrance
IMG_5593.JPG
Lochcallater Lodge with Loch Callater now in view
IMG_5599.JPG
Loch Callater as height gained
IMG_5603.JPG
A sheep takes in the view
IMG_5605.JPG
Views back down Loch Callater towards the Lodge
At the end of the loch the path turns NE giving the first view of Carn t-Sagairt Mor.
IMG_5609.JPG
Path stikes towards Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
The path becomes gradually steeper as it climbs the west slope of Carn t-Sagairt Mor before it contours SE at which point I left the path and followed the line of old rusty fence posts directly to the summit which I reached in around 2hrs 15mins.
IMG_5613.JPG
Path following line of old fence
IMG_5643.JPG
Striking out for the summit still following the line of the fence away from the path that contours SE
IMG_5617.JPG
Views back to Loch Callater and beyond
IMG_5619.JPG
First view of cairn on Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
IMG_5622.JPG
First Munro of the day (Carn an t-Sagairt Mor), Carn a Choire Bhoidheach & Cac Carn Beag beyond
Just after reaching the summit I was joined by another bagger (180+) who after consulting his GPS and my map was convinced that the smaller cairn nearby was the real summit. Anyway just to be on the safe side we went over and touched the top of that cairn. The next target, Carn a Choire Bhoidheach and a path to it, was clearly visible as I sat and ate a chocolate bar. I had been intending on a route via the top of Carn an t-Sagairt Beag as it would have involved less of a descent and ascent but the clearly visible path was too much of a distraction and I made a direct line for it. I spotted the plane wreckage that I had seen pictures of in other blogs as I descended the heathery slopes of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor.
IMG_5625.JPG
Next target Carn a Choire Bhoidheach (right), Lochnagar furthest centre left
IMG_5627.JPG
Plane wreckage
It was quite an easy ascent and I reached the summit of Carn a Choire Bhoidheach in around 3hrs 15mins where it was time for lunch as a steady stream of other walkers joined me.
IMG_5629.JPG
Me on the summit of Carn a Choire Bhoidheach
I left the summit after about about 20mins making a direct line back to intercept the path that countours around the south side of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor which gave superb views of Dubh Loch at the head of Loch Muick, before Loch Callater came back into view once more.
IMG_5634.JPG
Path back towards Carn an t-Sagairt Mor that avoids the summit (just visible centre right to left)
IMG_5638.JPG
Dubh Loch at the head of Loch Muick
IMG_5640.JPG
Path continues around Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
IMG_5642.JPG
Loch Callater back in view again
It was then just a case of retracing my steps back down towards Loch Callater, down to the lodge then the walk back down Glen Callater. I arrived back at the car park 6hrs 30mins after setting off with another sun tan! The Mrs had returned and was waiting for me with a couple cans of ice cold fizzy drink that I gulped before the drive back to Blairgowrie and the customary curry & beer. It was exactly for weekend days like these that I moved to Scotland for!! :D
howzat

Munros:254   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: White Mounth from Glen Callater

Postby Gleneagle5 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:14 pm

Great report. I'm planning the same two tomorrow and your report is very helpful. Clear directions and good photos. Times to summits helpful too.
Gleneagle5
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:19
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:18   

Re: White Mounth from Glen Callater

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:29 am

Nice one. Its a fine route for Lochnagar also.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland