walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on the "Fersit Two"

Sunshine on the "Fersit Two"

Postby PeteR » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 19/08/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’d got it into my head that Stob Coire Sgriodain and Chno Dearg were somehow less than exciting hills, with views weren’t that great and they should possibly be left as a winter walk, rather than one for the summer. For that reason I had been ignoring the two blue teardrops on my Munro map which kept trying to grab my attention for some time.

On Sunday though I succumbed to their advances and, following a long drive down South on Saturday to drop my two young boys back with their mum, embarked on the 260ish mile round trip to claim these two hills.

All in all it was a great little walk, much better than I had expected and even the ferocious midge attack as I got out of the car before the Skin so Soft could be applied and the glorious bog trot down off Chno Dearg couldn’t prevent me from really enjoying my day out. The stomach cramps I suffered for a large part of the day could have played havoc, but I managed to get myself down safely without incident :shock:
DSCF1807.JPG
Stob Coire Sgriodain from the parking area

Parking up I got chatting to a chap who was off to tackle the Easains, and the suggestion was I would be traipsing over pathless moorland for large parts of the day :shock: Thankfully though there is a good path as you leave the track just passed the houses of Fersit. It’s not there at the outset, as I discovered, but moving toward the right hand of two streams coming down from near Sgriodain and I soon found the going easier as the path appeared. From then on it was good going up onto Sron na Garbh-bheinne, with views opening up toward Meagaidh and Ardvrekie :D :D
DSCF1811.JPG
Stob a Choire Mheadhoin near the point I left the land rover track

DSCF1816.JPG
Sron na Garbh-bheinne

Just passed a small waterfall I left the path and made my way toward Sron na Garbh-bheinne and the ridge of Sgriodain and a grassy rake which was to be my route up onto the ridge. Again the views were opening up to the east, although Chno Dearg looked everything like the lump I had seen it described :lol:
DSCF1826.JPG
Water

DSCF1837.JPG
View back to Fersit

DSCF1839.JPG
Sron na Garbh-bheinne - a bit cloder this time

DSCF1850.JPG
My route up on to Sron na Garbh-bheinne

DSCF1856.JPG
Toward Meagaidh and Ardvrekie

DSCF1858.JPG
Chno Dearg

DSCF1870.JPG
My route ahead

One up the rake the path reappeared, although it would be patchy in places from here on in. On a clear day like I had this wasn’t an issue, but I could imagine on the saddle between the two hills and Coire an Lochain route finding in mist could be a challenge :shock:
DSCF1879.JPG
Meagaidh group from near summit

Arriving just before the Sgriodain summit and the view of the summit and cliffs down to loch Trieg was quite impressive. I took the opportunity to just sit at the summit and enjoyed a good 20 minutes admiring the view over toward the Easains, Grey Corries, Mamores, Glencoe, etc. 8) :D 8) :D
DSCF1880.JPG
Almost at the Sgriodain summit

DSCF1882.JPG
Treig view

DSCF1890.JPG
Stob a Choire Mheadhoin from summit

DSCF1898.JPG
Meagaidh and Ardvrekie again

Eventually I had to get myself moving, on the easy walk over the Sgriodain south summit and then the undulating saddle before the easy walk up onto Chno Dearg. Here I took the opportunity to just sit again, taking in Meagaidh, Ardverikie and Alder :D Another 20 minutes or so just taking the time to relax and enjoy the surroundings :D
DSCF1912.JPG
Sgriodain summit as I left to go to Chno Dearg

DSCF1921.JPG
View toward Glencoe region from saddle between the two hills

DSCF1930.JPG
Chno Dearg from saddle

DSCF1939.JPG
Looking back at the route travelled

DSCF1953.JPG
Beinn na Lap

DSCF1962.JPG
Chno Dearg summit cairn

DSCF1963.JPG
View from Chno Dearg #1

DSCF1988.JPG
View from Chno Dearg #2

Then it was a matter of the walk back to the car. Although the walk down off this hill was pathless and at times pretty boggy I still found it enjoyable. Sure, I should have worn my gaiters, as I my troosers were filthy by the time I’d finished :lol: :lol: But hey, what’s a bit of dirt?
DSCF2001.JPG
Sron na Garbh-bheinne as I arrived back at the land rover track

DSCF2008.JPG
Stob a Choire Sgriodain at the end of the day

Regardless of the bog it was a fairly gentle walk down and I was soon back at the car and heading off home with two more in the bag :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Sunshine on the “Fersit Two”

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Another fine TR once more Peter,not far off 200 now,got any plans where yet.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Cheers Gammy :D Still got a couple of walk reports to post yet, but don't know when I'll find the time to post them :shock:

I seem to be stumbling toward the double ton at the moment. I have "plans" for 200, but it's all weather dependent as it's a walk I want to have good weather for when I do do it. So, given this year's weather so far it could all go belly up yet :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:25 am

Another cracker Pete, with some lovely photos....I'm beginning to miss those rolling green hills of home. :roll: I'm with you on the gaiters....I always remember 'em as I get back to the car with soggy bottoms :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:11 am

Nice report PeteR. I done these in the wind and clag. Not a memorable day for sure so nice to see your photos. :D
monty

Postby Fudgie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

Would these two be doable from Corrour Station or is that too much for one day?
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:33 pm

I enjoyed these two. Got a day like you plus an inversion. :D

Need to get report done. :roll:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:35 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another cracker Pete, with some lovely photos....I'm beginning to miss those rolling green hills of home. :roll: I'm with you on the gaiters....I always remember 'em as I get back to the car with soggy bottoms :lol:

Cheers Chris. I get the impression from your reports (well, except one of them of course) that you are quite enjoying those Rockies :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:36 pm

monty wrote:Nice report PeteR. I done these in the wind and clag. Not a memorable day for sure so nice to see your photos. :D

Thanks monty. You'll soon be able to pay these two a revisit once you start your second round :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Fudgie wrote:Would these two be doable from Corrour Station or is that too much for one day?

I think that would be a long route Fudgie. I had thought about adding on Beinn na Lap on to these two from Fersit, but shelved the plan when I realised the effort involved :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:40 pm

dogplodder wrote:I enjoyed these two. Got a day like you plus an inversion. :D

Need to get report done. :roll:

They're good hills dogplodder. I think I've only ever had one inversion in all the walks I've ever done. Plenty of cloud and rain at times :lol: And these walk reports do take time, don't they. I'm still playing catch up myself at the moment :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby Fudgie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:56 pm

PeteR wrote:
Fudgie wrote:Would these two be doable from Corrour Station or is that too much for one day?

I think that would be a long route Fudgie. I had thought about adding on Beinn na Lap on to these two from Fersit, but shelved the plan when I realised the effort involved :lol:

Cheers Pete. I'll be up in that area this week so I'll see how it looks for myself.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland