walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby McGuinness » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 08/09/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1352m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got myself another munro done this week and done Ben Nevis by the Mountain track was a good hike up and down and was amazed at how busy it was so a parked the car at the Ben Nevis inn and started my walk at 09:30 took a few photos along the way in total about 6:15 mins which a thought was ok with a few stops along the way and to refill the water at the red burn pitty a couldnt enjoy the views thou

these were maybe the best photos i could get as it was foggy windy and raining after the red burn so final few summit pics :D

McGuinness

Munros:8   Corbetts:1

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:03 pm

McGuinness wrote:Got myself another munro done this week and done Ben Nevis by the Mountain track was a good hike up and down and was amazed at how busy it was ... pitty a couldnt enjoy the views

I'm amazed by the number of people on the Mountain Track too. On some of your photos you can't see anyone!

Well done for knocking off the big one, McG. I think the best thing about the Mountain Track is the view in front on the descent, hopefully you got plenty of that when you dropped below the clouds.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Well done McGuinness, not only for doing this big long slog in a very respectable time but also picking a day when there were so few people about.

Twice I've up there and more than twice I've been just about black and blue with all the elbows and shoves you get from 'fellow walkers' !!! The 3-Peak Challengers are the worst!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby McGuinness » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:53 am

I'm amazed by the number of people on the Mountain Track too. On some of your photos you can't see anyone!

Well done for knocking off the big one, McG. I think the best thing about the Mountain Track is the view in front on the descent, hopefully you got plenty of that when you dropped below the cloud

cheers yeah got some nice views after half way on the descent it was quite busy a thought it was kinda like a high street at times will deffo be back to do it again via a diffrent route on a nice day to get the views and hopefully a winter ascent :D
McGuinness

Postby McGuinness » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:59 am

pollyh33 wrote:Well done McGuinness, not only for doing this big long slog in a very respectable time but also picking a day when there were so few people about.

Twice I've up there and more than twice I've been just about black and blue with all the elbows and shoves you get from 'fellow walkers' !!! The 3-Peak Challengers are the worst!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

cheers pollyh33 it was busy but my photos dont really show it yeah a seen a good mix of people from the runners to folk that couldnt manage it and even people dressed for a day at the boozer lol :)
McGuinness

Postby budvarone » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 pm

A few of went up a couple of weeks ago, took us 7hrs in total. The weather looks quite similar to our visit, cloudy (and cold!) at the top, but great views on the way down...the Ben Nevis Inn was a welcome sight at the end!
Well done! In a good time too!
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland