walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WooHoo Novices Bag Two !

WooHoo Novices Bag Two !

Postby pdmclardy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:32 am

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 09/09/2012

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1325m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well after the promise of good weather all week the weatherman dissapoints us with a forcast of rain by midday :thumbdown: .. But we ( My son Peter and i ) were still up for the challenge :crazy: . My brother had once again phoned the night before to ask if he could tag along , No probs , so we all met in succouth car park and set of approx 8.43 :wink: . Having done a bit of planning i pointed out the route to the right that we should have been taking only to be laughed at by my more experienced brother ( He has climbed 5 munro,s and we have only done one ..( Dont think they were to impressed with my leadershjip skillls ) But after a short walk i halted proceedings
and returned to where we should have taken in the first place :clap: . So onwards and upwards through the burn / path and a couple of wee muddy bits until wee reached the road that cross's our ascent to be met with "where now ?" Straight up the wee muddy path come stream !! That was enough for my brother as he prefered the solid footing of the path so he and his partner decided to follow the road and climb the cobbler instead ( He does have a dodgy shoulder and i did say that it might be a challenge for him ). So Peter and i carried on upwards
Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 002.JPG
A view back towards Arrochar

Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 004.JPG
Peter on the burn come track

Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 006.JPG
A Panoramic view back to Arrochar

Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 007.JPG
Another Panoramic view

Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 010.JPG
A view up through the track towards the summit

Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 018.JPG
A slightly hazy view over loch long

Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 020.JPG
Peter on the edge lol

This was the last of the senic pictures as we were now heading up through the mist and we were quickly caught up by two more seasoned hill climbers who overtook us and marched on in perfect unison :clap: .It was really difficult to see anything and i swear someone kept adding bits as we were sure we were just about there and another bit appeared through the mist :lol: It would have been nice to see what was around and down below us but soon we finaly reached the summit :clap:
Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 025.JPG
Peter and i on the summit of Beinn Narnain

We descended down behind some rocks for a cuppa and a bite to eat and 20 mins later we were ready to go ! So a quick check of the compass and map as visibility was only a few feet which was just as well as my own bearings were a little out :roll: . so we proceeded with caution but after the initial rocky bit we soon picked up the path down towards Beinn Ime ! so after a few boggy bits we were soon on the summit of Beinn Ime :clap:
Three summits and we have seen Hee Haw :( We had to take seperate photo's as we could not find a good spot for the camera and the wind was howling and it was a tad damp !
Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 026.JPG
Peter on the summit of Beinn Ime

Beinn  Narnain and Beinn Ime 028.JPG
Myself on Beinn Ime

Another quick pit stop and of we went back down , The mist had really decended by now but we soon found our way down to the path up to the cobbler . Peter and i looked at the path up and then at one another .......should we ? .......would we ?.........................................Nahh ! :wink: We decided to let discretion be the better part of Valour so on down the path we went which was welcome change to some of the boggy parts we had been through and soon we were back at the car park at approx 4.08 :wink: where the rain started as we were getting changed ...... Now thats what i call timing :clap:
So all in all we loved the expeirience and are planning our next venture :D
pdmclardy

Munros:8   

Re: WooHoo Novices Bag Two !

Postby jonny616 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:16 am

Well done. I'm sure you will have many more days like that, but equally you will have days with great views :D
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby pdmclardy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks Jonny 616 , I have checked out some other postings to see what it looks like up there :lol: and look forward to some clear days so we can admire the awesome views :wink:
pdmclardy

Postby budvarone » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:34 pm

My walking pals and myself have tried for both of these, on seperate occasions, and had to give up on both attempts, Narnain because of inexperience, and Ime because of TRULY crap weather and terrible conditions underfoot, we'd been up The Cobbler beforehand, so that day wasn't totally wasted! Your report makes me want to get back up there and get them both done!
Well Done!
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 pm

well done for carrying on despite the weather conditions - pity you couldn't see the views but there'll be other days :roll: takes me back - these were the two hills which got me properly back into hillwalking in August two years ago after many years - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pdmclardy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:46 am

budvarone wrote:My walking pals and myself have tried for both of these, on seperate occasions, and had to give up on both attempts, Narnain because of inexperience, and Ime because of TRULY crap weather and terrible conditions underfoot

Thanks budvarone, it was a balance between inexperience and determination as the conditions were a little scary going up the spearhead with howling winds and a little difficult to see and I truly do understand how you need to respect these mountains
rockhopper wrote:well done for carrying on despite the weather conditions - pity you couldn't see the views but there'll be other days

Thanks rockhopper , I think we will make sure the weather is going to be a little clearer so we can enjoy the views on our next adventure :D
pdmclardy

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland