walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

carrying cameras

carrying cameras

Postby kfrweaving » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:11 am

I went from a wee digital camera to a bridge camera and whilst the quality of my pics have
improved the weight of the camera has increased! However i cannot go on a walk without it!
The camera bag that i got doesn't have a strap that is long enough to cross over me - and is
also somewhat uncomfy whilst wearing a rucksack. I'm needing something that i can put the
camera in when i don't need to take photos - instead of putting it in the rucksack which is a
lot of hassle. As i found when i did my walk in the Pentland Hills due to the temperature the
battery went down rather quickly :( So i need to keep the camera warm and preferably
waterproof.
Any suggestions?
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Re: carrying cameras

Postby Essan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Lowepro

http://www.lowepro.com/intl

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lowepro&x=0&y=0

I have a toploader zoom 45 for my Fuji HS30 - perfect fit and so far as proved perfect protection. It replaced a very very old CCS case that I'd orginally bought for a 35mm twin lens compact about 25 years ago and which finally proved to be too small ......

Can be used with neck strap, carried in the hand or attached to waistbelt of rucksack.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby kfrweaving » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Thank you! Will have a look at these :)
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby Fudgie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Frogwell had something that you could use to hold a camera without it flailing around but I just can' think on he name of it. It'll come to me eventually though... :roll:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:28 pm

I too have a toploader and it is a very good and versatile bag.

However my experience is that it's more trouble than it's worth. If I'm going to walk around with the camera out of the rucksack then I just sling the camera over my shoulder on its neck strap - then it's ready to be used without having to faff with zips. If I'm going to put the camera away (i.e it's raining or I'm going to do some scrambling and don't want it swinging around) then it makes more sense to put it in the rucksack.

I bought a super neoprene shoulder strap for the camera for 7 quid. It's very comfy and makes the camera feel half the weight of the normal Nikon strap. Money much better spent than a fancy bag :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Stu101 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 am

toploader, but affix it around my waist with a belt.

Works fine
Stu101
Munro compleatist

Munros:110   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 am

Have you looked at the ortlieb snap? Oh it is a marvel of engineering.. :shock:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby kfrweaving » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 am

Came up with a solution for the time being. Went into Jessops and got a case that i should have bought when i got the camera :roll: It isn't the most expensive or the most waterproof. I'll simply put it into my rucksack or put a poly bag over it in a light shower.
But have only got away with this as the waist strap is wide enough to fit the back part of the case. The Berghaus rucksack is proving great. Having the camera on the waist is better than round the neck for longer walks. :D
Attachments
IMG_1564.JPG
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby nathan79 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:56 pm

kfrweaving wrote:Came up with a solution for the time being. Went into Jessops and got a case that i should have bought when i got the camera :roll: It isn't the most expensive or the most waterproof. I'll simply put it into my rucksack or put a poly bag over it in a light shower.
But have only got away with this as the waist strap is wide enough to fit the back part of the case. The Berghaus rucksack is proving great. Having the camera on the waist is better than round the neck for longer walks. :D

This is exactly what i do. Far comfier attached to the rucksack waist belt. If i need it out of the way e.g. for scrambling, simple to just unclip the belt and then clip it behind my back to get the cmera out of the way yet still secure. And if i it's bouncing about too much i carabiner it to the chest strap for more stability.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Frazerrobbo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I have a big DSLR camera and find the most efifeict way to carry it on my long walks or camping overnighters is with my Loewpro Apex bag (Top loaded is good too adn they open outwards from your body).

I removed the shoulder strap that comes with the bag and using 2 small carabiners and some thin cord from Cotswold (50p a meter) I made some cord carabiner handles and clip then into the arm loops on my rucksack so that the camera bag is flush across my chest.

If I need to take my ruck sack off I can just unclip one side of the bag using the caribiners.

This makes walking easy and hands free, and because on the toploadr and apex bags the lid opens out form your body, it means I can dig around in the bag without dropping anyhting, The bag also has a waterproof cover AND can be used for other quick access things if needed.

Works for me.
Frazerrobbo
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:3

Postby scottishrowan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:05 pm

When I'm oot n' aboot I carry my Olympus Pen EP1 (including it's 14-42mm standard kit lens and it's 75-300mm telephoto zoom) and a wee Canon camcorder in a National Geographic case I received from my dad as a prezzie. It's a good size without being bulky and the shoulder strap adjusts to fit your waist or you can just unclip the strap and put on something more comfortable. It'll also fit into my 35L day sac quite nicely along with my other bits and bobs (nail file, hair brush, hairspray, lipgloss - it's a girls life on the hill :lol: )......It's not the most waterproof but does have lots of space for spare cards, lens cloths etc.....
scottishrowan
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   
Fionas:3   

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 am

I also use a Lowepro Toploader for my dslr but I also use the Lowepro chest harness. This allows the camera to sit in front of your chest and you can just take it in and out as required. This saves removing the rucksack etc. the Toploader bag also has a rain cover.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby Baloo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:02 am

Hi ...

may be you want to give this little piece of plastic a try.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0036A32VA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
(Its amazon Germany, let me know if you need assistance to find it on the web)

I use it every time I carry my DSLR camera (EOS 1000D + 18-270) on walks, its
mounted to the rucksack on the small top strap on the front (sorry, don't know the right expression).
+ ready to shot within some seconds
+ no swing of the camera
+ possible to climb with it
- there is no protection against rain.

Greets
Thomas
Baloo
Hill Bagger

Postby Alastair S » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:56 am

Stu101 wrote:toploader, but affix it around my waist with a belt.

Works fine

Works for me too :)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:29 am

I spent weeks trying to find a solution to carrying my bulky DSLR such that it was comfortable, safe and quick to get at. I never found it particularly comfortable wearing it on my belt.

I now use a Lowepro Cirrus case, which is perfect for my Canon 550D with 18-200mm lens.

I have two screwgate krabs one on each shoulder strap of my rucksack. The plastic loops on the cirrus case are attached to the krabs. I would never trust the plastic loops on their own, so to cover their potential failure, I also have a loop of climbing cord running through the cirrus case and also attached to the krabs.

This is very comfortable to wear, it doesn't get in the way at all and I can get to my camera really quickly if I need it.

Sorry about poor pic:
foggieclimber

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk