walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Both sides of the road of Glenshee 3rd time lucky

Both sides of the road of Glenshee 3rd time lucky

Postby madrock289 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn an Tuirc, Càrn Aosda, Glas Maol, The Cairnwell, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 04/09/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 31.6 km

Ascent: 1704m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So it took the 3 attempts to complete but its finally done!!

We had planned to try and get round all the hills immediately surrounding Glenshee skie centre. The following munros were on the hit list for first timer Steve who I now do all my walking with: Cairn of Claise, Carn a'Gheoidh, Carn an Tuirc, Carn Aosda, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, The Cairnwell, Tolmount and Tom Buidhe. The plan had been to bag them in one day but as always something got in the way of this plan

Take 1

Me, Steve and Craigy P set of from Steve's house in the early morning and made our way to Glenshee. On arrival at the car park the day seemed really good if not a wee touch windy. But at least it was clear and sunny. The first problem of the day arose as we got ready for the off.. All three of us were wearing red t-shirts! Not that I have any problems looking like one a a group of non identical triplets but since I had a change of t-shirt with me I made a quick change and donned a blue one instead.

P8150348.JPG
Craig, Me and Steve from L-R

We set off from the car park towards the start of the slopes of Meall Odhar. It took us a no time at all to get to the top of Meall Odhar to soak up the view across to Glas Maol, the first target of the day. We passed the ski cafe and were soon on the climb up towards the falt expanse of Glas Maol's summit. At this point I was quite optimistic for the day as we were making pretty good time. Things are not always as they seem however. Just after descending the summit towrds the next target Cairn of Claise, Craig developed a serious dose of cramp or as I like to call it he was 'being a total blouse'. I made a quick decision to abondon the walk but not after Steve and I dropped our bags off next to a wall and left Craig to babysit them whilst we took a sprint up to the dominant Cairn of Claise and back so the day was a complete disaster. With that in the bag we headed back towards the car. On route we stopped of for some lunch to admire the view whilst wrapped up in our jackets.

P8150352.JPG

We got back to the car and retreated for the day...

Take 2

For this trip I picked Steve up again very early in the morning just two days after the first botched attempt. Today we had planned to come up onto the ridge via Creag Leacach. The drive in again was fairly quick but as we approached Glenshee we could see a sheet of cloud covering the hills. It was however still dry so no panic. Today the plan was to park at the car park just after the road formerly know as the devils elbow. We parked and within minutes the heavens opened up above us. We suited up in full gore tex and set off into the boggy walk up the side of the hill. The plan was to follow a re-entrant up onto the summit ridge then follow the wall all the was til the climb to Glas Maol. Simple. Apart from the fact that the visibility went from averagely poor to pea soup withing about 30mins. This was as they say a total and utter disaster. Again the two of us remained optimistic and dodged our way through the boggy hillside. We hit the ridge quite quickly. Our chat was reduced to nothing because the wind was now howling and blasting us with a constant stream of water.

P8170353.JPG
Steve soaked to the bone

We followed the ridge for a while and came to an agreement that we should probably abandon the walk. Again! I decided that the easiest and safest way to navigate off the hill would be to find the Glas Maol summit and head off from there on a compass bearing. We squelched our way up the side of Glas Maol for what seemed like an eternity. The weather was getting worse by the minute. We eventually spotted the shelter of stones surrounding the trig point. We pressed on. Arriving at the summit I got the map out of my pocket which was now full of water. Took a bearing and we got straight back to escaping the hill. Once we were on the descent path we both relaxed slightly and got chatting properly again. As we were descending we passed a guy soaked to the bone who was meeting his son on the summit with the same crazy plan that we had. Good luck to him!!

P8170363.JPG

We followed the path along Leacann Dubh of the hill and back to the dry sanctuary of the car.

Take 3

You know what they say.. Third time lucky. And that's exactly what we were banking on last tuesday (4th september) I picked Steve up at 0530 and we left Aberdeen behind us very quickly. Spirits were high and the chat was good from the off. I had checked the weather and apart from the wind the day was definitely on our side. We had planned a route for the day that would complete a good round of munros in the area.

Glenshee.JPG

We arrived at the car park at 0700 and the weather looked great. We geared up. For the second time that week. Steve had taken a map and a compass with him aswell today so that I could show him how to map read so that I don't have to do it all the time. Less work for me equals more pleasure on the walk. Leaving the car behind on familiar territory heading towards Glas Maol. The two of us on a good day can put a fair pace down on the hill and today was no different. Withing about 10 minutes we were already on top of Meall Odhar looking across to Glas Maol. Again! The wind was very quickly picking up and we could see the clouds flying past us. Nothing would stop us today!! On the summit ridge of Glas Maol we knew instantly what the problem would be today. Wind. Could we not catch a break!?

One summit done, seven to go. Fifteen minutes later we were cowering on the stoney summit of Cairn of Claise. Sitting down in the stone shelter, I relaxed as Steve wrestled with his map and compass to get his map orientated and decide on the decision to which direction we were headed in next. I checked Steve's bearing to make sure it was all godd and off we went. The plan was to hit tom Buidhe then Tomount next. The wind was battering us until we were back in the shelter of the hill behind us. The sun was warm and comforting when the wind was blocked and the noise was completely eliminated. It was blissful silence again. The silence however was short lived as we approached the bare summit. Winding up to the summit. We stopped for a second and headed straight back the way we came. Next stop Tolmount. It took about 20 minutes to get onto the summit of Tolmount and now the wind really was hammering us. We stopped to get a drink and a very quick snack.

P9040378.JPG

P9040380.JPG

Walking off the summit and back into the shelter of the hill we stopped again to check the map and plan the next move. We decided on following two re-entrants onto the summit the handrailing round to the col of beneath the summit of Cairn an Tuirc. The plan was to have lunch there as I predicted that there would be good shelter from the wind there. 30 minutes later we were trying to find shelter in the col from the wind. Well done Martin you found a wind tunnel for lunch. You ROCK!! Lunch for me consisted of a cheese and chorizo roll and a mars bar kindly donated by Steve. A short break later and the climb up the scree covered slope of Cairn an Tuirc had started. Picking our way up through the scattered stones we arrived at the top of the hill, the wind now playing into our hands pushing us up the stoney slope. Up and over we went the descent had started as soon as we arrived. No hanging around. Five down three to go.

P9040384.JPG

The descent was quick and direct. So direct that we had pretty much just walked straight off the top. At the bottom we quickly found the path following the stream that would lead us to the road again. After a few minutes we passed the waterfall.

P9040387.JPG

The A93!! A beautiful sight to walkers normally tackling the walk we have just done as it indicates the walk back to the car. In our case it indicated a decision to be made. Option 1, walk up to the ski centre then head up Carn Aosda from there. Option 2, follow the spur of Carn Chrionaidh. A very interesting way to go. Or finally option 3, the masochists choice. Head straight up the spur right in front of us to the summit.

Our decision making process took all of about 5 minutes. Option 3! As much as I hate trapsing up through heather its also quite liberating to be travelling trhough the hills away from all the paths and order of the mountains. We stopped a few times to admire the view and of course get our breath back as it was absolute murder on the legs. Steve came up with the suggestion of a photo halfway up the hill looking back to the glen towards Braemar. The photo as always ruined by me blocking the view.

P9040390.JPG

After that I headed off on my own as Steve answered a call from nature. I picked my way through all the loose stone and make quick progress up the hill. Within about 20 minutes I could see the summit in the distance, the wind still present behind me. I stopped to get my jacket back on and wait for Steve to catch up. Once we were back together we pressed on to the summit. With the day progressing well we arrived at the summit of Carn Aosda. After stopping for just a second we started the walk down towards the valley between carn Aosda and Cairnwell. Carn a' Gheiodh looked absolutely miles away! But I had no doubt at all that we would manage the remaining two summits of the day. As Steve said there was no chance we were coming back to finish them. A five minute break overlooking the rough waters of Loch Vrotachan and we headed towards Carn a' Gheiodh. I decided to avoid the obvious path leading up via Carn nan sac due to the wind which was now a very big obstacle against us. Instead we handrailed the side of the hill dodging the worst of the weather until we had to climb the final slope to the windy summit. Again we took refuge for a few moments at the summit shelter. Then left the top. Seven down one to go!

The walk to the final summit of the Cairnwell had started. I was now confident that we would be off this hill in good time. We headed back towards the Cairnwell. The wind was getting worse by the step. Every so often I found myself stumbling as the wind caught me off guard. Before we knew it we were on the final slope towards the summit of the Cairnwell. I was now pushing hard against the wind. I kept going til we passed the ski centre. We were now side by side making the final push. A few minutes later and the industrial summit of the Cairnwell surrounded us. Smiling at each other because it wasn't even 5 yet we had done it and in good time! The only decision left was how to get down. As we were chatting about the route choice Steve told me that he had actually be blown off his feet on the way up and I never even noticed. With that in mind I decided that I did not fancy taking on the wind anymore today so we opted for another route direct choice. A decision was made to follow the chair lift to the very bottom of the hill. the descent took less than 30 minutes and by the time we got to the bottom we had only been walking for 10 hours!! The car was a welcome sight but nearly as welcome as the pint and huge burger I had for my dinner in Ballater 40 minutes later.

Sheer bliss!
madrock289
Stravaiging

Munros:280   Corbetts:173
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:56
Wainwrights:124   

Re: Both sides of the road of Glenshee 3rd time lucky

Postby Lady Di » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 pm

madrock289 wrote:So it took the 3 attempts to complete but its finally done!!

We had planned to try and get round all the hills immediately surrounding Glenshee skie centre. The following munros were on the hit list for first timer Steve who I now do all my walking with: Cairn of Claise, Carn a'Gheoidh, Carn an Tuirc, Carn Aosda, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, The Cairnwell, Tolmount and Tom Buidhe. The plan had been to bag them in one day but as always something got in the way of this plan

Take 1

Me, Steve and Craigy P set of from Steve's house in the early morning and made our way to Glenshee. On arrival at the car park the day seemed really good if not a wee touch windy. But at least it was clear and sunny. The first problem of the day arose as we got ready for the off.. All three of us were wearing red t-shirts! Not that I have any problems looking like one a a group of non identical triplets but since I had a change of t-shirt with me I made a quick change and donned a blue one instead.

P8150348.JPG

We set off from the car park towards the start of the slopes of Meall Odhar. It took us a no time at all to get to the top of Meall Odhar to soak up the view across to Glas Maol, the first target of the day. We passed the ski cafe and were soon on the climb up towards the falt expanse of Glas Maol's summit. At this point I was quite optimistic for the day as we were making pretty good time. Things are not always as they seem however. Just after descending the summit towrds the next target Cairn of Claise, Craig developed a serious dose of cramp or as I like to call it he was 'being a total blouse'. I made a quick decision to abondon the walk but not after Steve and I dropped our bags off next to a wall and left Craig to babysit them whilst we took a sprint up to the dominant Cairn of Claise and back so the day was a complete disaster. With that in the bag we headed back towards the car. On route we stopped of for some lunch to admire the view whilst wrapped up in our jackets.

P8150352.JPG

We got back to the car and retreated for the day...

Take 2

For this trip I picked Steve up again very early in the morning just two days after the first botched attempt. Today we had planned to come up onto the ridge via Creag Leacach. The drive in again was fairly quick but as we approached Glenshee we could see a sheet of cloud covering the hills. It was however still dry so no panic. Today the plan was to park at the car park just after the road formerly know as the devils elbow. We parked and within minutes the heavens opened up above us. We suited up in full gore tex and set off into the boggy walk up the side of the hill. The plan was to follow a re-entrant up onto the summit ridge then follow the wall all the was til the climb to Glas Maol. Simple. Apart from the fact that the visibility went from averagely poor to pea soup withing about 30mins. This was as they say a total and utter disaster. Again the two of us remained optimistic and dodged our way through the boggy hillside. We hit the ridge quite quickly. Our chat was reduced to nothing because the wind was now howling and blasting us with a constant stream of water.

P8170353.JPG

We followed the ridge for a while and came to an agreement that we should probably abandon the walk. Again! I decided that the easiest and safest way to navigate off the hill would be to find the Glas Maol summit and head off from there on a compass bearing. We squelched our way up the side of Glas Maol for what seemed like an eternity. The weather was getting worse by the minute. We eventually spotted the shelter of stones surrounding the trig point. We pressed on. Arriving at the summit I got the map out of my pocket which was now full of water. Took a bearing and we got straight back to escaping the hill. Once we were on the descent path we both relaxed slightly and got chatting properly again. As we were descending we passed a guy soaked to the bone who was meeting his son on the summit with the same crazy plan that we had. Good luck to him!!

P8170363.JPG

We followed the path along Leacann Dubh of the hill and back to the dry sanctuary of the car.

Take 3

You know what they say.. Third time lucky. And that's exactly what we were banking on last tuesday (4th september) I picked Steve up at 0530 and we left Aberdeen behind us very quickly. Spirits were high and the chat was good from the off. I had checked the weather and apart from the wind the day was definitely on our side. We had planned a route for the day that would complete a good round of munros in the area.

Glenshee.JPG

We arrived at the car park at 0700 and the weather looked great. We geared up. For the second time that week. Steve had taken a map and a compass with him aswell today so that I could show him how to map read so that I don't have to do it all the time. Less work for me equals more pleasure on the walk. Leaving the car behind on familiar territory heading towards Glas Maol. The two of us on a good day can put a fair pace down on the hill and today was no different. Withing about 10 minutes we were already on top of Meall Odhar looking across to Glas Maol. Again! The wind was very quickly picking up and we could see the clouds flying past us. Nothing would stop us today!! On the summit ridge of Glas Maol we knew instantly what the problem would be today. Wind. Could we not catch a break!?

One summit done, seven to go. Fifteen minutes later we were cowering on the stoney summit of Cairn of Claise. Sitting down in the stone shelter, I relaxed as Steve wrestled with his map and compass to get his map orientated and decide on the decision to which direction we were headed in next. I checked Steve's bearing to make sure it was all godd and off we went. The plan was to hit tom Buidhe then Tomount next. The wind was battering us until we were back in the shelter of the hill behind us. The sun was warm and comforting when the wind was blocked and the noise was completely eliminated. It was blissful silence again. The silence however was short lived as we approached the bare summit. Winding up to the summit. We stopped for a second and headed straight back the way we came. Next stop Tolmount. It took about 20 minutes to get onto the summit of Tolmount and now the wind really was hammering us. We stopped to get a drink and a very quick snack.

P9040378.JPG

P9040380.JPG

Walking off the summit and back into the shelter of the hill we stopped again to check the map and plan the next move. We decided on following two re-entrants onto the summit the handrailing round to the col of beneath the summit of Cairn an Tuirc. The plan was to have lunch there as I predicted that there would be good shelter from the wind there. 30 minutes later we were trying to find shelter in the col from the wind. Well done Martin you found a wind tunnel for lunch. You ROCK!! Lunch for me consisted of a cheese and chorizo roll and a mars bar kindly donated by Steve. A short break later and the climb up the scree covered slope of Cairn an Tuirc had started. Picking our way up through the scattered stones we arrived at the top of the hill, the wind now playing into our hands pushing us up the stoney slope. Up and over we went the descent had started as soon as we arrived. No hanging around. Five down three to go.

P9040384.JPG

The descent was quick and direct. So direct that we had pretty much just walked straight off the top. At the bottom we quickly found the path following the stream that would lead us to the road again. After a few minutes we passed the waterfall.

P9040387.JPG

The A93!! A beautiful sight to walkers normally tackling the walk we have just done as it indicates the walk back to the car. In our case it indicated a decision to be made. Option 1, walk up to the ski centre then head up Carn Aosda from there. Option 2, follow the spur of Carn Chrionaidh. A very interesting way to go. Or finally option 3, the masochists choice. Head straight up the spur right in front of us to the summit.

Our decision making process took all of about 5 minutes. Option 3! As much as I hate trapsing up through heather its also quite liberating to be travelling trhough the hills away from all the paths and order of the mountains. We stopped a few times to admire the view and of course get our breath back as it was absolute murder on the legs. Steve came up with the suggestion of a photo halfway up the hill looking back to the glen towards Braemar. The photo as always ruined by me blocking the view.

P9040390.JPG

After that I headed off on my own as Steve answered a call from nature. I picked my way through all the loose stone and make quick progress up the hill. Within about 20 minutes I could see the summit in the distance, the wind still present behind me. I stopped to get my jacket back on and wait for Steve to catch up. Once we were back together we pressed on to the summit. With the day progressing well we arrived at the summit of Carn Aosda. After stopping for just a second we started the walk down towards the valley between carn Aosda and Cairnwell. Carn a' Gheiodh looked absolutely miles away! But I had no doubt at all that we would manage the remaining two summits of the day. As Steve said there was no chance we were coming back to finish them. A five minute break overlooking the rough waters of Loch Vrotachan and we headed towards Carn a' Gheiodh. I decided to avoid the obvious path leading up via Carn nan sac due to the wind which was now a very big obstacle against us. Instead we handrailed the side of the hill dodging the worst of the weather until we had to climb the final slope to the windy summit. Again we took refuge for a few moments at the summit shelter. Then left the top. Seven down one to go!

The walk to the final summit of the Cairnwell had started. I was now confident that we would be off this hill in good time. We headed back towards the Cairnwell. The wind was getting worse by the step. Every so often I found myself stumbling as the wind caught me off guard. Before we knew it we were on the final slope towards the summit of the Cairnwell. I was now pushing hard against the wind. I kept going til we passed the ski centre. We were now side by side making the final push. A few minutes later and the industrial summit of the Cairnwell surrounded us. Smiling at each other because it wasn't even 5 yet we had done it and in good time! The only decision left was how to get down. As we were chatting about the route choice Steve told me that he had actually be blown off his feet on the way up and I never even noticed. With that in mind I decided that I did not fancy taking on the wind anymore today so we opted for another route direct choice. A decision was made to follow the chair lift to the very bottom of the hill. the descent took less than 30 minutes and by the time we got to the bottom we had only been walking for 10 hours!! The car was a welcome sight but nearly as welcome as the pint and huge burger I had for my dinner in Ballater 40 minutes later.

Sheer bliss!

That has just cracked me up!! What a story!! Made me laugh a lot!! :o)
Lady Di
Rock-climber

Munros:269   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:31 am

Well done for trying the same round 3x before completing it! Thats a really good effort doing all of them in 10h...some really funny photos as well :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby madrock289 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:55 am

Cheers to both of you. It was a fair effort. I had done both sides of the road previously as separate walks so it was a first time for me too. Unfortunately the windy day had meant our clothes stayed on and there was no naked munro antics!!

Weather is getting to cold now for that lark!
madrock289
Stravaiging

Munros:280   Corbetts:173
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:56
Wainwrights:124   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 am

Good effort guys and as your name suggests, top mad for it our kid. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 am

Och aye, well done for persevering with the route :) Looked like a cracking day, although pictures dont capture wind that well.. Been right blustery the past week or so :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Fudgie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 am

I've thought about combining those two but I know it will be a long day. Well done on getting round them all in that wind :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Stuart Angus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:08 pm

...............bloody hell!!! :clap: 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland