walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lingmoor Fell

Lingmoor Fell

Postby tenohfive » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Date walked: 05/09/2012

Time taken: 1.5

Distance: 3.4 km

Ascent: 305m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Surprisingly sunny weather for September helped persuade my wife that dragging our baby daughter up her first Wainwright might not be such a trial so we picked a reasonably easy one with views of Blea Tarn - Lingmoor Fell. I love that part of the world but even I was pleasantly surprised.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We ignored the car park near Bleatarn House as it irks me paying to park in the middle of nowhere, and found somewhere just before the cattle grid. An easy bimble along the road and there's a clear path opposite Bleatarn House. Having crossed one wall the path then follows the second to the summit cairn. Fairly easy going all the way - good as I was carrying a 3 month old girl in a sling on my front and a deliberately overloaded ruck on my back (I've got some wild camping coming up soon.)

Blea Tarn on the way up

The last 5 yards or so completely surprised me - the whole of the Great Langdale valley opened up in front of us, with views to Windermere and beyond. The photo's below really don't do it justice - it was breathtaking.

Panorama from the top

Summit cairn

Lingmoor Tarn

After a quick feed of my daughter we carried on following the wall to Side Pike but from the muffled grumbling and crying coming from my chest it was clear that my daughter was putting her foot down and insisting on only one Wainwright that day, so we followed the path down just prior to Side Pike and back to the car.

On the way down Side Pike

The view from the car

Very pleased with the walk - for such a gentle route Lingmoor Fell really punches above its weight.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Re: Lingmoor Fell

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:32 pm

That's a lovely walk to do and some wonderful views :thumbup:
Hope your daughter gets to do many more Wainwrights :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby tenohfive » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I dragged her up 2 more during the same trip...getting buzzed by fighter jets and a nappy change in a brisk breeze on Little Mell Fell may have put her off slightly, but right now she's a captive audience so she's going up regardless :)
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 am

A lovely little first for your daughter ToF, some incredible views that she may not remember, you'll have to go back there when she's completed them all for a celebration party :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland