walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The 8 Cairnwells-kissing a frog and what to do with a prince

The 8 Cairnwells-kissing a frog and what to do with a prince

by Mountainlove » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn an Rìgh, Càrn Aosda, Càrn Bhac, Glas Tulaichean, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 08/09/2012

Time taken: 17.5 hours

Distance: 38.5 km

Ascent: 3161m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The 8 Cairnwells–kissing a frog and what to do with a pr

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 pm

gaffr wrote:The reports about 'the longer wee tours' in the hills has us older folks reaching for our diaries for when it was that we too were tramping the Bens with tents and stoves!. :lol:
This tour is just a wee stroll. :lol:
For my wee tour I parked up at the bottom of the elbow road in '83 to walk over the four tops on the East side of the glen then jogged up/down back to my motor to pick-up my rucksack etc. Four of your group were visited before camping between Carn an Righ and the non listed top mam nan cairn then continueing with a visit to the other five tops and to finish on Cairnwell the following day.
Never set off without the old Primus stove..... well nowadays it would be a gas one....hot sweet tea is what I crave for on these trips. :)

Looking at your Munro count- you have done very well :clap: :clap: and OMG your tour de Munro in '83 sounded mad!! I would not have been able to jog down anything after the 2 days :lol: :lol:
Tea...is there anything better when being cold and freezing?? Thats one reason to buy a nice wee stove for my next adventure..winter time is coming soon.

madrock289 wrote:Awesome walk report and I must say I'm a little jealous about the overnighter. I opt for just a bivvy bag with a sleeping bag as my sleeping arrangements nowadays. Shame the weather has started getting cold now. My pal isn't ready for the winter yet so im waiting til next summer now :(

Bivvy bag?? How do you manage the midges? They would drive me insane! Waiting until next summer?? Would you be able to do that? The longest I managed was 2 months... :) :)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Sabbathstevie wrote:Great report as ever ML, really enjoyed that one and wondered how long it would be before you joined us in the east! :clap:

Thanks and that was just a question of time...and running out of Munros in the west :lol:

rockhopper wrote:An interesting route ML and I'd agree that an overnight camp is a great way to get the best of this area :thumbup: Had my first ever wild camp up here last year and really enjoyed it - walked the 6 to the east, back to the car to get the overnight rucksack then headed west for the 8 similar to you. Instead though I camped on the Loch nan Eun shore whereas you took the direct SW route to Glas Tulaichean - if you're ever back :roll: , the lochside is a nice place to camp. I'd fully agree with you on the An Socach ascent - steep and relentless especially with a heavy rucksack - cheers :)

Like gaffr...all I can say is wow! 6 and then 8? I know the camp spot you are talking about. Thought about that spot when I planned the route. Going back there...??? Mmmm not so sure about that...there are prettier areas :D :D

gaffr wrote:Big rabbits?....Hare today and gone tomorrow now that is a hare raising story.?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tomyboy73 wrote:well done, pretty jealous as i read that, despite the wind and your suffering :lol: at least you`ve done it , you`ll feel more confident about planning more wild camps

I will feel a lot more confident by the time by body forgot the pain lol :lol: :lol: I think to walk a long flat walk, dump the tent and then climb a few Munros is sooo much easier...although being able to camp wherever is great as well :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Wow ML, that's quite some walk you did there, and carrying a massive rucksack. I'm impressed. :clap:
I hate carrying weight, I've got far too much inside my skin and don't like carrying more than I need outside it. :(
Brilliant report, I enjoyed reading it, and you kept your clothes on! :lol:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Fudgie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:42 am

Kudos on doing such a big walk and I bet you fancy a few more like that now :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:28 pm

KeithS wrote:Wow ML, that's quite some walk you did there, and carrying a massive rucksack. I'm impressed. :clap:
I hate carrying weight, I've got far too much inside my skin and don't like carrying more than I need outside it. :(
Brilliant report, I enjoyed reading it, and you kept your clothes on! :lol:

:lol: :lol: I keep my clothes on most of the time....and its not snowing yet anyway 8) Carrying a backpack...with a hipbelt it is not as bad as I thought...did a level walk without one once and I still remember that pain! But thinking about Nepal...to hire a porter is still my preferred way to do long trecks :D

Fudgie wrote:Kudos on doing such a big walk and I bet you fancy a few more like that now :wink:

In fact I do...feels like ..I was able to do it once ...I can do it again once more...although a rest this weekend is in order :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Stuart Angus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Missed this earlier, must be Cairnwell Season :lol: cracking effort and some brilliant pictures 8) ............not like you to be phased by gullies............that surprised me :shock: ...............so maybe you are human after all :lol: :clap: 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Stuart Angus wrote:Missed this earlier, must be Cairnwell Season :lol: cracking effort and some brilliant pictures 8) ............not like you to be phased by gullies............that surprised me :shock: ...............so maybe you are human after all :lol: :clap: 8)

Yep indeed...must be like cutting grass...one starts and everyone else is following...
Gullies...give me any gully to climb up...no problem at all..try to make me walk down the same gully and I will get sweaty hands :roll: ...just dont like getting down any steep hills...they scare me :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:22 am

Well done ML, what a fantastic effort while humping all that stuff :clap: I'm glad you got some stunning photos of it to share too. I'm a bit like you on a steep gully, I'd rather be going up it than down :lol: Really enjoyed this whole report, cheers :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:56 pm

ChrisW wrote:Well done ML, what a fantastic effort while humping all that stuff :clap: I'm glad you got some stunning photos of it to share too. I'm a bit like you on a steep gully, I'd rather be going up it than down :lol: Really enjoyed this whole report, cheers :D

Many thanks Chris :D :D and it is great to know that someone else is the same when it comes to steep gullys...I always think...falling down head first is far worse than the other way around...and at least when you go up ...you can choose to ignore the steepness behind you :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Well done....
After wild camping a lot over the last 3 years.... Things to get rid of :the soap, towel, deodrant.. I do stay smelly for the 2 days :) ...and usually carry wipes which you can use for toileting purposes and to wash yourself..
I found im normally too tired to read and therefore dont carry books A good sleeping bag what packs away neatly is better than a blanket.
Things to invest in :I have a lightweight golite rucksack and a crux stove which fits neatly underneath the gas cannister :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: The 8 Cairnwells-kissing a frog and what to do with a pr

Postby MaciekAbdn » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:57 am

I laughed so much when reading this ! Very interesting, keep up your vibe ! :lol:
MaciekAbdn
Hill Bagger

Postby jamieneill316 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:09 pm

Just found this thread, if anyone sees it!

I did this route last July on day 5 of 7 of bagging 40 Munros in 1 weeks. I’d did the Mamores and Fannichs on day 1 and 3, rested in between. Did Mayar & Dreish on day 6 & day 7 was Lochnagar & the White Mounth to Tolmount, Tom Buidhe then the Glas Maol 4 to finish.

But I hadn’t seen many doing this route before - and it was the hardest of the week. A lot of descent and ascent since the mountains are linked as a range. The ascent from that angle on An Socach was insane. We started at 7am and finished at 1am back at the Ski Centre!

Congrats for doing it!
jamieneill316
Munro compleatist

Postby past my sell by date » Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Big Walk - I found the three from Dalmunzie - Tulaichean, Righ and Iutharn Mor was a big day on its own. When I did the Cairnwell three - late last century - there were hundreds of white hares visible even though the snow had gone. Sitting down at one point I counted forty and standing out like that they were obviously easy prey for raptors etc.. Hopefully the survivors have learned about global warming :lol: and to change back to grey/brown earlier.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland